Where to buy affordable Toiletries ?

brockmom

Hello

I know this may sound like a strange question….but as I make my packing pile….I know

i am going to have a hard time with the allowed weight in my suitcase.

We are staying pre cruise at Hotel Smeraldo.

Anyone have recommendations on an affordable store I could buy the hair 

products, soap etc I would like. We are travelling to close to a month, so small little 

travel sizes won’t work too well this time, and what I have will definitely take up 

valuable weight in my suitcase.

thank you 

I would email the hotel and ask them.  You likely won't find the brands you like and they're probably not going to be cheap.  "Affordable" is subjective.

You may also be able to find a Sephora.  I was looking at google maps but I haven't had enough coffee and I can't read anything very well.  LOL

27 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

I would email the hotel and ask them.  You likely won't find the brands you like and they're probably not going to be cheap.  "Affordable" is subjective.

You may also be able to find a Sephora.  I was looking at google maps but I haven't had enough coffee and I can't read anything very well.  LOL

Yes that is what I was afraid of….and in Euros too.

For a Canadian, spending Euros is not cheap lol

thanks for the suggestion 

😊

• Like 1

You won't find any "discount" stores in the historic center (e.g., where your hotel is). If you want to wait to purchase until you arrive, then just tell yourself it is a cost of travel and probably cheaper than paying for overweight luggage.

Higher end hair products, skin products, soaps, sunscreen, etc. are best purchased in pharmacies. Pharmacies are located here and there in the center and are always designated by what looks like a big green plus sign:

image.png.1fd4141fe33f333d894b8c3fff0c6ee6.png

(the machine on the wall is like a vending machine for after hours pharmacy products like bandages and sometimes even condoms, lol)

If you are just looking for basics, you can check out groceries stores (which are usually pretty small in the centro) as they generally carry a limited selection.

There's a good probability you won't find your particular brand, but products in pharmacies are good and they do have a few lines familiar to us in the US. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

And I was going to say Pharmacies too like cruisemom42 mentioned.  My coffee hadn't quite kicked in yet.  It's funny, I was seeing the green cross in my mind too, but I couldn't get that to actually travel to my keyboard.   😄

Never post without coffee!  I've learned the hard way....

Actually, there is a sort of discount store I've used for years not far from your hotel, in the Jewish Ghetto.  

It doesn't have a name as far as I know, I even checked a receipt once and it didn't have a name.  It's located on Via Portico d'Ottavia at the corner of Via della Reginella.  According to google maps it's 400 meters/two-tenths of a mile on foot from your hotel.

The only way I can describe it is kind of like a Walgreens/CVS/RiteAid but without the pharmacy.  There's a lot of health and beauty products, plus a variety of household items.  Look for the yellow security gates at the top of the windows and doors, that's the place.

image.thumb.png.eee173cff612ccfa0d8da8c434a6ca6f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1