Getting to Rossio Station from Lisbon Cruise Port on a Sunday

We dock in Lisbon on Sunday, November 5th at 10am.  We are planning to do a self-guided tour of sights in Sintra and need to get to Rossio station to take the train to Sintra.  Since we want to maximize our time in Sintra by getting there as soon as possible on the train, we are considering taking a taxi rather that walking to the station.  If you have done this trip by taxi, can you tell me how much it cost?  

And any advice on getting around in Sintra (we plan to only see the Quinta da Regaliera and Pena Palace) would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Its less than a mile on foot and with the Lisbon traffic you might not gain much.   we have walked there. There are taxis waiting as soon as you exit the cruise terminal.  have never used one though.  

oh, I just found this link...

https://lisbonlisboaportugal.com/lisbon-transport/lisbon-taxi-guide.html

a word of caution is to check what is and is not open on a Sunday. Portugal tends to have a more traditional Sunday than we do for example in the UK.  

I would only add, if you havent seen Lisbon, then its a pity to go to Sintra.  Lisbon is one of my favourite cities in the world, there is so much to do and see and lovely food and drink. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:33 PM, aussiegirl said:

d any advice on getting around in Sintra (we plan to only see the Quinta da Regaliera and Pena Palace) would be appreciated.

We have used the little sightseeing bus which runs around Sintra with stops at the main sights.Google search the # 434 if you didn't come across it when you were  researching Sintra online. We boarded outside the train station but left it on the lower level to explore there after finishing "upper" Sintra. Given the narrow and very steep road, it followed a one way route  I absolutely advise transport as "upper" Sintra would be a monumental climb up without it. We got off at our first stop, the Moorish Castle and spent some time there, eventually strolling through the park area to the opposite end and onwards to Pena Palace which was only a short distance and quicker to walk than wait for the bus for one stop,instead of reboarding where we got off.

I also recommend you visit the park around the Castle of the Moors in "upper" Sintra for the spectacular views on a clear day.  The park area is shaded by trees so a good place to get out of the sun if it is hot day.and had picnic tables here and there, so is a good place to take a break whether or not you actually  picnic. You could take a sandwich or snack and a drink with you as we didn't see anywhere to buy anything in "upper" Sintra (but that may have changed) although there were options in "lower" Sintra, but that was at the end of our sightseeing and we wanted something before then.  You could of course explore "lower" Sintra first and dine there, but we were working around opening hours and it suited us better to visit "upper" Sintra first.

Expect Sintra to be extremely crowded whichever sights you visit.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:33 PM, aussiegirl said:

If you have done this trip by taxi, can you tell me how much it cost?  

We also walked.     And as previously suggested, there is a huge amount to see and do in Lisbon itself if this will be a first visit. This recent thread about Lisbon sightseeing on a Sunday could be a useful read for you.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2937003-lisbon-on-a-sunday/#comment-65363478

Edited by edinburgher