Anyone on NCL Escape, New England/Canada Fall Cruise right now?

sunshine4me2

We'll be on the Escape Oct.15-22 (same itinerary)

A few questions:

• Does the MDR's rotate their menus as they did in the past, or  have same menu for the entire cruise? (as was on the Prima earlier this year?)
  • We booked  an excursion thru an outside vendor, Fundy Coast to Fundy Shore - does any know if this is geared toward a Photography Excursion, (hoping not) or an excursion to experience what Saint John is all about?
  • Do most of the ports have excursion vendors that you can book your excursion right there, if we didn't make any pre-planned arrangements?
  • And as we didn't book excursions in every port, if we just got off the ship to walk around, is there things to see, restaurants, bars, stores, within walking distance of the ship?  Most of what I've researched here sounds these port stops are pretty user friendly.

A request

• As I need to make prearranged transport from the ship to LGA, can some take a pic of NCL's timetable of "Order of Disembarkation" (I know this info isn't provided until Saturday nite) Our flight is 1:15 pm, don't want to be too early or too late getting to airport.

Thanks to all,

On 9/8/2023 at 4:02 PM, sunshine4me2 said:

We'll be on the Escape Oct.15-22 (same itinerary)

A few questions:

• Does the MDR's rotate their menus as they did in the past, or  have same menu for the entire cruise? (as was on the Prima earlier this year?)
  • We booked  an excursion thru an outside vendor, Fundy Coast to Fundy Shore - does any know if this is geared toward a Photography Excursion, (hoping not) or an excursion to experience what Saint John is all about?
  • Do most of the ports have excursion vendors that you can book your excursion right there, if we didn't make any pre-planned arrangements?
  • And as we didn't book excursions in every port, if we just got off the ship to walk around, is there things to see, restaurants, bars, stores, within walking distance of the ship?  Most of what I've researched here sounds these port stops are pretty user friendly.

A request

• As I need to make prearranged transport from the ship to LGA, can some take a pic of NCL's timetable of "Order of Disembarkation" (I know this info isn't provided until Saturday nite) Our flight is 1:15 pm, don't want to be too early or too late getting to airport.

Thanks to all,

MDR menus are rotated on every ship now (Prima went to rotating back in June or July)

Would probably be best to check with the vendor or their description box to see what type of excursion you booked. Or check the Port of Call forum and see if anyone else has done it.

You will typically have to be off the ship by 9am so I would make my transportation pick up for around 9:30. Make sure they pick you up across the street from the pier on the other side of 12th Avenue, maybe a few blocks down. That area is very congested with cabs and Ubers.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up to my previous reply.

It is currently Wednesday, work day, and as you see on the map below the travel time to LGA is a little over a half hour.

On Sundays, with no work traffic, it should be less than 1/2 hour.

Suggestion: Since I don’t know the size of your party, the number of suitcases you have, nor how you intend to return to LGA. If you are returning by cab or Uber my suggestion is to cross 12th Avenue, you will be at 48th Street, (there are crossing lights). It is easier to wait there for pick up as the ship side of the street is extremely crowded. Plus any cars coming to pick you up have to go north to 55th street before they can come down to pick you up. There is always a lot of traffic for pick up and the cars have to deal with busses picking up other passengers.

How this helps in your planned return, 

IMG_4293.thumb.png.5f4c4ec8d56fb9afa7170297809bcd50.png

Thanks so much for your very detailed response.  This really helps.  Using Carmel for the return to LGA, and changed our departure from noon to 1:15.  Having NCL’s color guide helps me plan, best of all, your suggested  pick up address is better yet.  Day of disembarking is always a zoo at any given port.  I will advise car service that’s where we’ll be at.

thanks again,

I just got off on Sunday. I self disembark, so not sure if this will help. 

Breakfasts were 6 am buffet or 6:30am for MDRS. I was in and done eating by 7 am. I was in my room when they announced that customs had cleared the ship at 7:15 am. I was able to carry my bags down 4 flights of stairs to Deck 7 and while it was along walk, it was fairly speedy to go through security and stuff.

I crossed over to the taxi stand at the corner of 12th and 48th. A lot of people were there for limited taxis. I was able to get into a cab about 15 minutes later. If you're traveling light, you might be able to walk a block east to the Ink 48 Hotel and have the pickup there, where it's less chaotic. 

2 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

I was able to get into a cab about 15 minutes later. If you're traveling light, you might be able to walk a block east to the Ink 48 Hotel and have the pickup there, where it's less chaotic. 

That’s not a bad idea.  May give that a consideration. Thanks.  

• Like 1

I was impressed that CBP used facial recognition as a clearance methodology which made the exit after luggage retrieval very quick. Any lines moved quickly. I have Global Entry and figured I would use it to move through quick but not necessary at all. 

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

...  We'll be on the Maserati ship.

On your way to Red Hook, careful with weekday construction & closure neary on the elevated BQE or I-278 as it will be detouring to local streets, already reduced from 3 lanes to 2 in both directions, allow extra travel time to reach your YC residence.  Local folks on your roll call should be aware of this - have a great cruise.  Tender ops at Perrotti Park is well runned with multiple landings, for everyone's convenience and port security do check photo ID's to match ship cards.

OP, there is another semi - live trip report this week, here ...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2962622-livenear-live-from-ncl-escape-01-october-to-08-october-2023/page/2/#comment-66198837

There're reports & info from last month's Escape sailings on the nearly identical itinerary, 2 of which "interrupted" due to stormy weather, those info are here on CC.  

Follow it and it will give you useful & practical info, it is NOT easy or simple to give the right answer as to when it's best time to get off the ship, and to be at LGA too early or otherwise, later than you wish to - what is your "comfort zone" to be curbside, check-in, thru TSA (do you have Pre-Check) and at the boarding gate (it can be a 5 minutes "run" with luggage or 15 minutes slow walking if your aircraft gate is at the far end of this newly modernized terminal - not knowing your choice of airline)   Like Chicago, traffic conditions on weekends, are just as unpredictable at times - we rather have that extra margin to avoid being caught in gridlock traffic. 

As for the ports, Google / Siri / Bing / Alexa are your best "companion" friends online, and as long as you have data access, as we do, real time info is priceless including maps, directions and options to get there, including walking if POI is nearby, as long as mobility isn't an issue (were in Saint John, Bay of Fundy last month and our SIL along has mobility issues, still managed as we knew of an alternate instead of walking up the hills)   Furthermore, try the Destination Forum for the ports, here on CC and also the roll call for your sailing - others might have similar questions.  

Enjoy your cruise, planning is half the fun & challenge and sometimes, do what we do - just "wing" it and go with the flow - didn't book anything ahead and when we skipped 2 ports, no cancellations & no worries, happy to be safely on the ship to enjoy what's onboard.  

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

OP, there is another semi - live trip report this week, here ...

I followed your semi live reports every day, enjoying updates and photos you shared.

Following the current Escape cruise this week, in anticipation of our Escape journey this Oct 15-22th.

With every cruise we take (this will be our 8th cruise), my first stop for insight and recommendations is CC.

Thanks to you, and all fellow CC members!  

21 hours ago, mking8288 said:

On your way to Red Hook, careful with weekday construction & closure neary on the elevated BQE or I-278 as it will be detouring to local streets, already reduced from 3 lanes to 2 in both directions, allow extra travel time to reach your YC residence.  Local folks on your roll call should be aware of this - have a great cruise.  Tender ops at Perrotti Park is well runned with multiple landings, for everyone's convenience and port security do check photo ID's to match ship cards.

Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Thanks for the info.

Darn "auto-correct" and/or my big fat fingers scrolling on the smartphone ... meant to say, "weekend" closure ahead ... past the info along.  Experienced taxi, car service, Uber/Lyft & local drivers will know better and tap GPS Map/Waze navigation to find alternate routes, everyone else will be fuming while sitting in gridlock traffic, on elevated highway above and local city streets - yellow taxi's $$ meter running - yike !!   Heading down to the Jersey shores next weekend morning & will detour differently, stay clear of the area ourselves. 

https://patch.com/new-york/brooklyn/full-bqe-closure-scheduled-october-brooklyn-what-know

With 2 mega ships in Newport tendering, that's going to the "fun" but good for local businesses, shops & restaurants along the waterfront for the otherwise sleepy town.  Happy, fun & safe travel. 

We walked off the Escape on 9/24 at about 10 am with bags planning to take a taxi to LGA, but an NCL rep was in the terminal selling bus trans to LGA for $25. PP so we did that.  Had to wait a bit, but had plenty of time and bus was only half full.