Bottled Water Yes or No??

leesee4life55

1 hour ago, pistnbroke said:

So sorry that you HATED my references to the desalinated water.

i was relating to my personal experience.

on my many subsequent cruises I have not had similar results after using bottled water.

i will concede that it is possible that on that particular cruise the process may not have been up to snuff.
i will try not to hate a opinion that differs from mine

Well, I think ships do take on municipal drinking water from a port at times, so it could have been that water with slightly higher sodium content than the desalinated water the ship produces.

In chengkp75's defense, he didn't really offer any opinion to be different than yours. He just presented some facts. Yours was more a (admittedly reasonable sounding to us uninitiated) supposition of cause based on your anecdotal experience.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

So sorry that you HATED my references to the desalinated water.

i was relating to my personal experience.

on my many subsequent cruises I have not had similar results after using bottled water.

i will concede that it is possible that on that particular cruise the process may not have been up to snuff.
i will try not to hate a opinion that differs from mine

The problem is that you made an assumption that the water had a high sodium content.  Water retention can also be caused by a lack of magnesium or potassium, both of which are in very low to nil quantities in water produced onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The problem is that you made an assumption that the water had a high sodium content.  Water retention can also be caused by a lack of magnesium or potassium, both of which are in very low to nil quantities in water produced onboard.

Aha! This is finally an explanation that makes sense to me! All I have known is that if I drink ship water, I get swollen feet. But I have known for years that desalination should mean there isn’t a greater level of sodium. And yet, it seemed the proof was in the pudding. Or rather, the swollen feet. I wonder if I bring magnesium supplements on board and eat a lot of bananas if I’ll be fine. I’m not planning to find out, honestly but I have learned something new today. 

On 10/6/2023 at 10:10 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

Well, I think ships do take on municipal drinking water from a port at times, so it could have been that water with slightly higher sodium content than the desalinated water the ship produces.

In chengkp75's defense, he didn't really offer any opinion to be different than yours. He just presented some facts. Yours was more a (admittedly reasonable sounding to us uninitiated) supposition of cause based on your anecdotal experience.

Ships can take on water in port, but I don't think that it's a common thing. As a former sailor I look at the things that are hooked up to the ship and I don't think that I've seen any potable water hoses (not that this observation is definitive given the relatively small sample size), but ports charge extra for this service and since the ship can make plenty of water to meet their needs there isn't a need to pay for it. (Of course, if a ship has to stay in port longer than a few day they might have to onload water since they probably don't make water in port. @chengkp75 this is a curiosity thing so if you can enlighten us I would appreciate it. I hate guessing.)

11 hours ago, pinklucky61 said:

If you're purchasing Cheers, get all the water you want through that.

That triggered my memory and since we've started buying Cheers we've stopped buying the 12 pack through Funshops because water is included with Cheers. Grab a bottle every time you order a drink and it's not long before you have enough to take ashore.

• Like 1

Actually, taking water in port is fairly common.  It depends on the ship's itinerary, as to whether or not the ship is at sea (outside 12 miles from shore) long enough, and whether the ship is traveling at high enough speed to generate enough heat to make maximum water, to make enough water to meet the demand over the cruise.

2-1/2" fire hoses are used for potable water loading.  You can tell them by the blue band painted on the hose at each end, the blue painted fittings on each end, and by the blue wooden supports used to keep each connection up off the dock.

The hydrant where the water is being taken from must have been tested for water quality within the last month (not just the overall municipal system testing), and a certificate provided to the ship, along with a test by the ship for residual chlorine at the time the water is taken.  Shore water is then chlorinated before it goes into the storage tanks, and it must be kept segregated from use onboard until a coliform bacteria test is completed onboard, which takes 18-24 hours.  For these segregation and delay reasons, along with the cost of the water, taking shore water is kept to a minimum, but in some cases it becomes a large percentage of the water onboard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If you are gold or more, there will be a large (50 oz)  bottle of water in your cabin complimentary. I use that for taking pills, etc in the cabin. For going off the ship, I bring a large yeti cup and just fill it with water from one of the beverage stations. If you prefer, you can order a 12 pack of bottled water from the fun shops on the Carnival website (In-room Gifts and Shopping) ahead of time and it will be in your stateroom when you board. It's $9.95 and the bottles are 16.9 oz. You can also order the 50 oz bottles for $3.95 each or 8 for $20.

Edited by simplelife
corrected
  • Like 1