New Magens Bay Concessions Contract.

TTEllis

Like many of us, I'm become very fond of Magens Bay over the last 20 years or so. For the last 15 years I've made more than my fair share of negative comments about Megan's Bay Concessions who operate the crummy restaurant and bar, they've had a lock on the contract for the last 40 years at Magens Bay.

I receive a newsletter online called The St. Thomas Source. The 40 year BS contract from start to finish with Megan's Bay Concessions it's up for bid.

I highly recommend reading this article. The article is AWESOME,  I thought it was just me.

After years of having to bring our own drinks to Magens Bay because you can't get served at that phoney baloney bar. We have a great chance of getting a restaurant and bar on Magens Bay that's a compliment to the Bay experience.

This article is everything I've been saying now for a long time. We get bussed down into this beautiful magnificent bay, there's a bar and restaurant with 3 people working and there's 5-7 ships in port, Mickey Mouse is in Orlando. The menu I wasn't sure what to make of it. It was sad. 

St. Thomas Source Megan's Bay Concessions. Best article I've read in a long time and it's sounds like they're going to make the new lessee's really step it up, and create an experience that represents the Bay. Good grief it's about time. Hey better late than never!!

• Like 2

I agree. I once suggested that they add another small food and drink concession down the other end of the beach, and was ripped for suggesting it. I don't like the fact that there's an exclusive contract for one vendor because there's no competition which breeds complacency imo.

I like the food stands in PR with the fish on stick similar to a kebab. I had fried breadfruit chips at a beach stand in St Croix that I really liked and haven't seen anywhere else in the Caribbean. I expect they'll have pates on the menu at Magens, and I hope they have some vegan options like they have at Coki.

On 9/11/2023 at 3:05 AM, Ms411 said:

I agree. I once suggested that they add another small food and drink concession down the other end of the beach, and was ripped for suggesting it. I don't like the fact that there's an exclusive contract for one vendor because there's no competition which breeds complacency imo.

I like the food stands in PR with the fish on stick similar to a kebab. I had fried breadfruit chips at a beach stand in St Croix that I really liked and haven't seen anywhere else in the Caribbean. I expect they'll have pates on the menu at Magens, and I hope they have some vegan options like they have at Coki.

That's unbelievable I did the exact same thing on St. Croix in 1996. Stood right beside the grill it was Carnivale, ate fish, chicken(I think😂), steak and pork(I think again 😳) kabobs on a stick. $1 per stick I'll never forget it.

It was da bomb, I love those kabobs.

I just kept handing the guy $1 bills, Carnivale was PACKED actually I remember it well I think I was the only white dude among thousands of Islanders had a blast. Hey I learned how to dance!

Total complacency that's what's happened with the  past Magens Bay Concessions. They got the contract and did little, nothing at all or the bare minimum to fulfill the contract. There menu was bare bones and crummy from start to finish especially in an atmosphere like Magens.

Pates at Megan's Bay Jeezus let's hope so, that is a step up. LOL!!

Black peppercorn pate is my favorite, if they offered that on the menu at Magens Bay ummm😂 that's definitely headed in the right direction. That would be Huge.

Magens Bay Concessions they've choked it out, the concessions have been stuck in the mud in this case stuck in the sand and stayed there for years.

That's a huge bay there needs to be another option to get a beer instead of walking all the way back to the bar every time. It's a terrible setup when there's multiple ships in port the concessions are inadequate, unorganized and terribly uninviting. 

No one was having any fun, nobody was spending money except me, I would have spent more couldn't get anyone to wait on me. The current setup is genuinely pitiful. 

The restaurant needs MOVED BACK and moved down or something they need to figure it out because the current and past setup hasn't worked for a long time. 2 restaurants on Magens that's a great idea. That's a long walk back.

Let's keep our fingers crossed this is done correctly so we can all go to Magens and have the experience we should have. 

Some restaurants on St Thomas used to have shark bites on the menu which were usually grouper or Mahi and were kind of like fish tenders but grilled. I used to order them but haven't seen in a long time. Would be nice at Magens.

What is a black peppercorn pate? Never heard of that.

Grilled corn would be nice. Cassava fries maybe. 

And I like to mix hot sauces with mayo in lieu of tartar sauce or ketchup. The Valley Doll sauces from St John are really good for that, yet the restaurants serve boring tartar sauce.

Yes jeez they need all that at Magens, they're thinking small down there and that's a BIG Bay. Shark bites sound scrumptious with hot sauce mayo. Yummy!!

Your getting ahead of the game. So you got ripped for suggesting putting in another food venue down the beach somewhere? The Bay is a freaking mile and a half long it's a long walk for the love of Pete give us a couple of nice food and drinks venues it's not going to interrupt the laid back vibe of Magens Bay it would only make it better and more $$$. 

I certainly hope they don't drop the ball on the new contract. Had I had my hand in Magens Bay 10 much less 20 year's ago we'd all be rich sitting on a yacht out in the Bay looking back at the beach packed with people spending money having a time. Yes ma'am. With us more $$$. 

I know it's operated by the National Parks Service but that's certainly no reason to choke a place out with endless potential. 

Peppercorn pate is like a liver spread. It's so yummy. I used to get it at Sabatino's Deli in Boca Raton. It's wonderful on crackers or a toasted bread. 

"Boring tarter sauce😂😂😂 I LOVE THAT!!

Sorry chief it's probably a West Virginia thing yes it has to be a good real tarter sauce but I love tarter sauce😁.

With that being said I like a truly good hot sauce too, especially with mayo.

On shark or mahi nuggets?? You need to aggravate and keep wearing there asses OUT. Like I said your ahead of the game. Grilled corn that's big, I love grilled corn and so does everyone else. 

This is a chance after a long time for that St. Thomas commission thingy to get Magens Bay right for the next 30 years. Don't let them blow it Ms411😉.

You got this. Appreciate you.👍

Oh! That kind of pate - not Caribbean pates which are hand held savory stuffed bread/crust "pies" that are fried or baked. Ha, ha! Caribbean calzones.😁

They also need to do adult milkshakes. Those are very popular, but they need a good machine and maintenance/repair person.

BTW, Magens is under the VI Territorial Park not the NPS, though both try to limit development. However, the local entity may only have local control instead of federal control. Hopefully more people will donate land to Territory Park instead of National Park.

Yes that kind of pate, silly😁. Your " hand held savory stuffed Calzone "pies" sounds great. I'm extremely open minded especially when it comes to eating local in the islands, those sound wonderful.

Adult milkshakes I'm into adult anything except acting like one.😎

I wasn't exactly sure how all that territorial stuff worked I knew there were multiple entities with there hands in Magens Bay. Sounds to complicated and that in itself may be part of the problem. 

I told you aggravate the hell out of them. We want a nice restaurant a couple of them that are a genuine compliment to Magens Bay. That's it.

We're not being overbearing😂, we just want to sit in a nice venue have cocktails and chill out at Magens Bay.

I think that's very reasonable of us.

Thanks.

54 minutes ago, Ms411 said:

Pinchos de Tiburonimage.png.aef4c5733c2ebab0aabf21dd3deb4b8d.png

I see, those look killer. Is that the "boring tarter sauce" you were talking about? I love that!! Skewers look great anything fried on skewers I'll eat it especially with tarter sauce 😂

Appreciate you!! Thank you.

I don't usually add sauce, because the fish has plenty of flavor so not sure of the sauce. 

Now if Magens can get something similar. Ask for them next time you go to let them know we want some!

Some fast food places in St Thomas do fried chicken on a stick sometimes with chicken, onion, and green bell peppers. Absolutely the best! 

YES!!! That "on a stick" thing it must be an island deal or something. Every single one of them whichever one you choose is GREAT. Those things are addicting, I stand right beside the grill!! 😂

Follow your nose, another key is, those guys have all those local spice seasonings you can't get anywhere else and each one is different and all of them are THE BOMB!!

If it was on a stick anywhere south of Ft. Lauderdale I done ate it and everything around it.😁😂

That's why I don't make stuff like that at home because when I do mine isn't even close to what they cook up and it's a disappointment. I think I'm in the Islands and I got this and it ends up crummy.😕

Gotta have sauce, I'm the sauce monster. It don't matter what kind I'm eating it. Thanks chief. 

Belize at the port, The West Lizard "stick thing" going on MAJOR!! It's a scam and of course I was the first one to fall for it. When you get off the tender at the port in Belize it hits you right there. 

I'm not sure I've ever smelled anything like that before I went straight for it right followed my nose to this SWEET grill at this outside establishment called the Wet Lizard, this grill was loaded with marinaded sticks!!🤩🤩🤩

I may have already started drinking before I got on the tender on the ship.🙄so I had to have another beer anyway.

These weren't really kabobs they were marinated meat on a stick. I don't know exactly what it was but this grill had it going on, with this lovely Belizean lady at the helm.  I'm in big time, when I walked in this bar there was only a few people there. 30 minutes later the place was not only packed they had a waiting list and couldn't make enough of that marinated meat on skewers fast enough.

Looked steaky to me but who knows and who cares it was a true treat. Every island has the "stick thing" going on all have they're own different tweak and every last one of them are GREAT.

Like I said I'll eat anything, with that being said sticks on the grill win win win. Especially at Magens Bay they'd kill each other trying to eat those things. 

I hope they think like we do Ms411, let's hope so anyway. 

Jeez don't short us out for another 30 years I ain't got 30 years left. 

Thanks, have a nice evening.

Someone thinks that the Magens visitors want hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizzas, and that there won't be much demand for anything different. 

That's one thing I like about Coki. There's a variety of food vendors so I have choices. But, I don't like being in the water with people feeding the fish.

I am going to a party at Magens Sunday. Byob so I think I'll take local Mutiny Vodka and hibiscus mixer. I may try my personal portable blender to see if I can make frozen drinks. I think it will be catered so I don't have to take food or eat from the snack bar.

I've taken wine tasting on cruises, and had a fun time. I won't take cooking because I don't think there would be enough seasoning.

• 1 month later...

Hey Ms411 if you hear or read about any updates with the new concessions contract at Magens Bay please keep us updated. Thank you. 

I'm looking forward to seeing which direction that actually goes. Appreciate it.

No problem that happens.

I told you before, ***** rant scream yell. We want a nice new bar and NICE restaurant at Magens Bay and a PHAT snack bar half way down the beach that serves buckets of Stella's.😁

They've choked that place out, they're thinking small. We want beer food and money not necessary in that order in a setting that compliments Magens Bay.

Thanks homes.🌟🌟🌟🌟

• 1 month later...

Our prayers are being answered!! Thank Ms411 for the update. It's very ironic that I have been very critical of the food service(concessions) or lack thereof at Magens Bay for years. 

Now they are finally doing something about it. So happy to hear and very happy for the future of Magens Bay.

Bad timing, 100% V.I. way every time😂😂😂 you guys aren't even close when it comes to timing down there!!!😂😂😂. You all will kill each other to screw it up!! You just have to do it and get it done and take it from there. It's all good it's St.Thomas. 

Thanks for the update.

Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Magens is using local food trucks temporarily. Hot On The Spot is a VERY popular food truck that was there the other day, and he quickly sold out of some items. He has a day job so it wasn't convenient for him to do Magens on short notice. My sources say governor called and begged him to go.

A smoked meat truck was there the other day. Not a regular local food vendor. I like the idea of food trucks at the beaches, but that's not the permanent plan, unfortunately.

A friend saw the menu from new concessionaire, and she said it was basic, limited, and had pizza slices. That disappointed me.😢

We're going to be at Magen's Bay Beach mid-January. Bad timing indeed!!! Eep! (Why wouldn't they wait until the summer?!?!) We were last at MBB in Jan 2019. The beer situation was terrible then having just crappy yellow beer. From the more recent pictures, it looked much better. What's the status of beer there now?

Should we look at a different beach? (I quite liked MBB from last time...)

Edited by david.lister42

Welcome to the party......or lack thereof. The "beer situation" as you put it has been TERRIBLE for the last 10+ years down there. 

Until the new concessions open up forget about the "beer situation" and do exactly the same thing I've done on my last several visits to Magens Bay BYOB. 

In the V.I's, you do things when you can do things, timing really doesn't play into the equation. 

In your case who cares, your going to St. Thomas. Take a taxi to Sapphire Beach or Secret Harbor and forget about it. Lotsa nice Beaches on STT and STJ. No worries. 🌟🌟🌟🌟😎