Viking Final Payment

Cisterna

Getting disgusted booked this cruise date to be able to arrange NYE in Sydney - that option sold old very fast and Viking no help in even suggesting the possibility of a waiting list , the other reason we booked this ship instead of others is that it was going to Melbourne ! It DOES NOT GO TO MELBOURNE !  We go to Geelong  !!!!   We are there 8am-11pm!   Taking a train is a possibility but the logistics of figuring all that out is not part of the experience I wanted, let alone the expense.  I wanted to experience Melbourne, especially food tours, and nightlife.  This is a BIG Asterick that should have been on our itinerary when this date was was one that could be selected. This is not an itinerary change~ the ports are booked at least 2 years in advance!    NZ to Sydney ports in Melbourne!!

This is standard practice by the ocean cruise industry: advertise one city but the actual docking port can be up to 2 hours away.  Plenty of examples in Europe: Advert says Paris, docking at Le Harve; advert says Venice, docking at Ravenna or Trieste; advert says Florence, docking at Livorno; advert says Rome, docking at Civitavecchia.  Well Florence and Rome are not coastal cities, but you get my gist.  I'm not saying this is the right way to advertise cruises, but it's something we need to take into consideration when planning a cruise.

That said, Geelong to Melbourne is roughly the same distance and time as Livorno to Florence and the ship is there until 11pm.  You'll still get 5 to 6 hours in Melbourne if you leave first thing in the morning.  When life gives you lemons, it's time to make lemonade.

Edited by Selion
  • Like 7