Regatta Alaska - No Floatplane Excursions?

DJP31

I'm enjoying reading the @FetaCheese thread, my wife and I will be on the 7 day Alaskan cruise this time next year. The original was scuppered by CV-19 and the dates since haven't worked for us. It's also our first ever proper cruise so much to learn.

Something I have noticed is the lack of any float/seaplane excursions, which were availble last time. Are they casualties of Covid or has the slightly modified itinerary of VCR/Ketchican/Sitka/Haines/Wrangell got anything to do with it? None of the excursions listed offer anything aerial, except zip wiring!

Having never done this before I'm nervous of leaving the comfort of Oceania arranged trips, but don't want to miss out if I could find an acceptable alternative. Any thoughts from you seasoned campaigners?

Final question if I may - I assume a trip across to Vancouver Island would be highly recommended whilst in the area?

A number of years ago we did a seaplane out to Juneau to Taku Glacier Lodge for a salmon dinner.  Great experience.  You might look up the lodge and see what seaplanes service it and book the excursion on your own.  Same goes for the trips to see the various glaciers.  Don’t just rely on Oceania for your excursions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@DJP31

if you can, book a float seeing trip in Ketchikan, Islandwings.com

we have used them multiple times, Michele is a great pilot, been flying in Alaska about 30 years. Absolutely the BEST. 

mauibabes

I'll add to this, one of the best tours we've been on, one we always talk about. 

Edited by ORV

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

We will be doing a couple of Alaska cruises next year.

Would like to do a Glacier Landing with a small walk around.

Would Juneau or Skagway be recommended as best for that ?

I’ll be doing some research elsewhere, but thought I’d also ask here.

Thanks.

I would recommend Juneau

• Thanks 1