Things I miss from cruises that we do not get now.

Guest Cooltocruise1

8 hours ago, Cooltocruise1 said:

I was musing with DH today about our past cruises ( Memories pinged in from google photos).   I am not sure how many cruises we have been on but it is A LOT. We have been cruising since the year dot and we have cruised different lines in all that time but now we mostly stick to P and O now because I am no longer able to tolerate flying and they leave from Southampton. DH still loves it but it is losing its charm for me and it is no longer the experience it was.

I miss meeting the Cabin Steward on our first day or at any time,  come to that. Our last 3 cruises (2 P and O , one MSC) we did not see the steward at  all, except for a vague figure in the distance when we left the cabin. Now we leave polite notes with our requests (They are few but necessary) and although the cabin is always cleaned it is usually to the lowest standard and I often find things missed or not bothered about. I miss seeing the officers walking around and nodding a greeting to us. A very small thing but I miss it. I miss having a chat with the staff, from cleaners upwards . Everyone is so busy because of staff shortages and cutbacks. I miss having my cappuccino in a cup not a takeaway container and I miss ordering the coffee from my chair. I can remember the days when in the MDR you were greeted by a smiling waiter, chair drawn out and upon taking your seat a napkin was folded in your lap. Menus would appear along with plenty of bread and never did you have to ask for water. And it came in a jug! I'm expecting the napkins in the MDR to be replaced soon by paper tissues all in the name of saving the planet. The entertainment nowadays is just okay, the venues are too full and the lack of service is mind blowing.  DH along with everyone else has to go to the bar where a waiter who is standing there will take his order and relay it to the bar staff and DH then brings it back to our table. Gone are the days when you got to know a waiter and your drink was served quickly and with a smile. Now you join a queue, serve yourself and woe betide if you want another drink within the next 30 minutes. I know I could probably get all this from Cunard or probably Celebrity/Princess but DH does not like the ships  or they do not do cruises from Southampton when we can get away. If one line can provide the service they used to why can't they all? The food is okay but not brilliant, the drinks are okay but a cocktail is now made quickly and loudly by a machine and I miss the old showing off of the bar staff as they made up a cocktail (Or even poured a beer or wine). Anything to make things an event!

As we get older  we tend to use the ship as our destination because getting off the ship is not the easiest thing for us but it is fast losing its appeal for me. 

Moan over. I know we are lucky to have the chance to cruise at all and the look on DHs face when we settle into the cabin on our first evening and sit on the balcony ready for sail away is always good to see. We will be back onboard soon so it can't be that bad , but I still miss the old days.

All those things still happened on Aurora inJuly.

6 hours ago, daiB said:

How odd we cruise 5/6 times a year and 

1 always see our cabin steward not long after getting to our room

2. Never had a problem with the cleaning our cabin.

3. Not bothered about seeing officers but they are coming back. On Britannia tow month ago, we chatted with the Cruise Director for 2 hours

4 We always chat to the staff, most particularly the cleaners

5. We have never had our coffee in a take away container, ever

6 Always had water served without asking and bread always appeared at the start of the service and there was always more if you wanted.

7 I have never had a problem getting a drink at the bar.

8 I have never seen a cocktail made by machine. This I find the oddest comment.

As I said all of the things you say you have missed I have had on every cruise I have been on and 10 of them have been since lockdown.

I agree, all those things happened on my latest cruises.

• Like 1

Some cruises have robot made cocktails . It's a bit of a gimmick and a 'feature' , rather than a cost saving thing. In fact I think you have to pay extra to have the robot make your cocktails.

I've seen cocktails 'on draft' in pubs , so I'm sure it's only a matter of time until the robots make all the cocktails.

(it's too early to put the robot mower to work in the garden.  The mower doesn't care, but it's no fun if I can't see it!)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

Some cruises have robot made cocktails . It's a bit of a gimmick and a 'feature' , rather than a cost saving thing. In fact I think you have to pay extra to have the robot make your cocktails.

I've seen cocktails 'on draft' in pubs , so I'm sure it's only a matter of time until the robots make all the cocktails.

(it's too early to put the robot mower to work in the garden.  The mower doesn't care, but it's no fun if I can't see it!)

Not on P&O.

On 9/14/2023 at 5:40 AM, ParisHilton said:

MSC

On 9/14/2023 at 5:40 AM, ParisHilton said:

RCL

Hope this hasn't been mentioned as I have committed the sin of not looking back at the other posts.

On our first cruise with P&O on Oceana I remember the band playing below our balcony .. will never forget it. They played 'Give me one moment in time' by Whitney and I have to admit that at the time it did bring a tear or two .....

It felt really special and something I am glad we experienced and also sad that it was stopped.

Yes, I get it that cruise lines need to embrace the future but I think that they also need to celebrate the past traditions ... 

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 16

33 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hope this hasn't been mentioned as I have committed the sin of not looking back at the other posts.

On our first cruise with P&O on Oceana I remember the band playing below our balcony .. will never forget it. They played 'Give me one moment in time' by Whitney and I have to admit that at the time it did bring a tear or two .....

It felt really special and something I am glad we experienced and also sad that it was stopped.

Yes, I get it that cruise lines need to embrace the future but I think that they also need to celebrate the past traditions ... 

Unfortunately bands now cost a fortune!  My niece looked at hiring one for an event.  Each band member has to be paid individually by the hour, starting price for 5 piece was £3,250 before adding these individual costs on top.

Unfortunately young people don't want to join their local town band either so that route is closing too.  Perhaps they could try the Salvation Army!

14 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Unfortunately bands now cost a fortune!  My niece looked at hiring one for an event.  Each band member has to be paid individually by the hour, starting price for 5 piece was £3,250 before adding these individual costs on top.

Unfortunately young people don't want to join their local town band either so that route is closing too.  Perhaps they could try the Salvation Army!

Those in Peril on the Sea, Nearer my God to Thee spring to mind........ 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/13/2023 at 12:40 PM, Guest Cooltocruise1 said:

I was musing with DH today about our past cruises ( Memories pinged in from google photos).   I am not sure how many cruises we have been on but it is A LOT. We have been cruising since the year dot and we have cruised different lines in all that time but now we mostly stick to P and O now because I am no longer able to tolerate flying and they leave from Southampton. DH still loves it but it is losing its charm for me and it is no longer the experience it was.

I miss meeting the Cabin Steward on our first day or at any time,  come to that. Our last 3 cruises (2 P and O , one MSC) we did not see the steward at  all, except for a vague figure in the distance when we left the cabin. Now we leave polite notes with our requests (They are few but necessary) and although the cabin is always cleaned it is usually to the lowest standard and I often find things missed or not bothered about. I miss seeing the officers walking around and nodding a greeting to us. A very small thing but I miss it. I miss having a chat with the staff, from cleaners upwards . Everyone is so busy because of staff shortages and cutbacks. I miss having my cappuccino in a cup not a takeaway container and I miss ordering the coffee from my chair. I can remember the days when in the MDR you were greeted by a smiling waiter, chair drawn out and upon taking your seat a napkin was folded in your lap. Menus would appear along with plenty of bread and never did you have to ask for water. And it came in a jug! I'm expecting the napkins in the MDR to be replaced soon by paper tissues all in the name of saving the planet. The entertainment nowadays is just okay, the venues are too full and the lack of service is mind blowing.  DH along with everyone else has to go to the bar where a waiter who is standing there will take his order and relay it to the bar staff and DH then brings it back to our table. Gone are the days when you got to know a waiter and your drink was served quickly and with a smile. Now you join a queue, serve yourself and woe betide if you want another drink within the next 30 minutes. I know I could probably get all this from Cunard or probably Celebrity/Princess but DH does not like the ships  or they do not do cruises from Southampton when we can get away. If one line can provide the service they used to why can't they all? The food is okay but not brilliant, the drinks are okay but a cocktail is now made quickly and loudly by a machine and I miss the old showing off of the bar staff as they made up a cocktail (Or even poured a beer or wine). Anything to make things an event!

As we get older  we tend to use the ship as our destination because getting off the ship is not the easiest thing for us but it is fast losing its appeal for me. 

Moan over. I know we are lucky to have the chance to cruise at all and the look on DHs face when we settle into the cabin on our first evening and sit on the balcony ready for sail away is always good to see. We will be back onboard soon so it can't be that bad , but I still miss the old days.

When we first thought about a cruise a long time ago a friend told us all this stuff was normal....so we didn't bother. Quite enjoyable now that some of these don't happen.

16 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, we had them on Allure years back. They looked impressive but could only serve five cocktails - no idea if the more modern ones have more selection.

MB. Top tip... if you want more than 5 cocktails..order twice.🤣

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I used to like the band at sail away. There was a real sense of occasion.  I even remember streamers being thrown on my earliest cruises.

A couple of other things I've thought of - on the first formal night there used to be a real rose on the dining table for female guests, and on tropical night everyone got a floral lei to wear. 

• Like 8

How about the photographer at Southampton. A family who have just spent 8 hours on a coach from oop North and are hot and sweaty carrying bags with all the illicit booze. Are we nearly there yet ?...........would you like a photo infront of the fake backdrop and plastic ships wheel ?. Only 25 quid......No .🤐

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I used to like the band at sail away. There was a real sense of occasion.  I even remember streamers being thrown on my earliest cruises.

A couple of other things I've thought of - on the first formal night there used to be a real rose on the dining table for female guests, and on tropical night everyone got a floral lei to wear. 

Litter and flowers for Ladies isn't woke.

• 3 weeks later...

Chocolate on the pillow, after dinner fudge or chocolate, separate cheese board where you could choose what and how much you wanted, fruit and postif offered after dinner, peanuts in the Crows Nest, trays in the buffet, port guides / talks, flags and bunting at Sailaways, water in the cabins, etc, etc.  All the luxury extras have gone.  A shame, but I still think P&O offer great value for money.  I just worry that they are becoming 'cheap'.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LA30 said:

Chocolate on the pillow, after dinner fudge or chocolate, separate cheese board where you could choose what and how much you wanted, fruit and postif offered after dinner, peanuts in the Crows Nest, trays in the buffet, port guides / talks, flags and bunting at Sailaways, water in the cabins, etc, etc.  All the luxury extras have gone.  A shame, but I still think P&O offer great value for money.  I just worry that they are becoming 'cheap'.

One of our waiters used to call the little after dinner shortbread biscuits ‘doggy biscuits’ 🤣

• Haha 2

Just got back from 30 nights on Aurora.

The thing that I missed the most was that there was no progressive quiz on sea days.  Theme quiz yes, and syndicate quiz in the evenings.

Went to theme on the first three sea days, and thereafter gave it a miss and went to the gym instead.  Basically, the theme quiz clashed with the morning art class which The Ole Lady decided to do from the second day.

We were travelling with another two couples.  Although one of our friends also did the art class with the Ole Lady, they would have gone to the class that didn't clash with the quiz.  

Was glad to see that classical recitals were still happening on Aurora, did them on each day there was one.

A gradual re-introduction of Afternoon Tea in the MDR on some sea days.  Went on one afternoon, lovely.  Only a 15 minute time slot to get in though.  And Chocaholics buffet in the MDR towards the end of the cruise as well, though we didn't give that a go.

• Like 6

On 10/5/2023 at 4:13 PM, LA30 said:

Don't want water in the cabin.  No thanks.

• Haha 3