Art/Craft Classes being removed?

FangedRose

I have read reports on Facebook that a tutor has reported that Carnival Corporation are no longer going to be running Art or Craft Classes on any of their ships, particular reference was made to Aurora and Arcadia. This has come from one of the tutors who says they have been told this directly by P&O. I personally do not attend these classes but I know lots of people do and enjoy them (depending on the tutor!)

Has anybody else heard this?

1 hour ago, FangedRose said:

I have read reports on Facebook that a tutor has reported that Carnival Corporation are no longer going to be running Art or Craft Classes on any of their ships

If they are still going I haven’t seen them on any cruise since 2020.

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Where do the classes happen?

Never seen these promoted before on Arvia or Iona?

Must have missed them?

I have seen both classes on Arcadia and Aurora. But it is implied that they will stop on all ships.

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Disappointing if true. Loved the craft classes on Aurora 17 nighters and Ventura 35 night. 

As person who enjoys various crafts I have often gone along to the craft classes but was very disappointed on our last cruise on Princess.  The class was taken by a young lady from the entertainment staff, my 12 year old niece could have done a better job so I am afraid that it is probably true.

Another lady and I went around the tables showing some of the other attendees what to do because they had come along hoping to learn how to make something but the young woman from the statements staff taking the class admitted that this was a new thing for her because some passengers had asked about craft classes.  She told everyone to help themselves to small piles of scraps of card, paper ribbons and then to try to think of something to do with them.  Most of the supplied stuff was so poor that I thought that it should have been binned.

2 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

To be honest the art classes on Iona were a bit pathetic.  I went to one class to then be given a printed sheet and told to colour it in.  It was like being 5 years old again.  I politly declined the offer and went to watch a movie.

Harry are you sure that wasn't kids club you walked into by mistake?

Lol

• Haha 7

I will be very disappointed if they are discontinued as Mrs YP likes her crafting and has taken up the painting classes, which gives me a bit of peace and quie😉t.

When we have been on the longer cruises lots of the ladies and some men arrange their own knit and natter groups on sea days. On a recent Ambassador cruise it was classed as a super craft cruise with Julie Peasgood and her team running it. They were very popular, they had a sale at the end where they sold off all the craft accessories which was packed.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I will be very disappointed if they are discontinued as Mrs YP likes her crafting and has taken up the painting classes, which gives me a bit of peace and quie😉t.

When we have been on the longer cruises lots of the ladies and some men arrange their own knit and natter groups on sea days. On a recent Ambassador cruise it was classed as a super craft cruise with Julie Peasgood and her team running it. They were very popular, they had a sale at the end where they sold off all the craft accessories which was packed.

There is usually an unhosted knit and natter session advertised in the Princess Patter every sea day.

I rarely take my knitting or crochet with me because if it is a complicated pattern then I find that I don't get much done because it is too easy to make a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

To be honest the art classes on Iona were a bit pathetic.  I went to one class to then be given a printed sheet and told to colour it in.  It was like being 5 years old again.  I politly declined the offer and went to watch a movie.

Was there a prize for the best one ? .A badge perhaps 🤔

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

As person who enjoys various crafts I have often gone along to the craft classes but was very disappointed on our last cruise on Princess.  The class was taken by a young lady from the entertainment staff, my 12 year old niece could have done a better job so I am afraid that it is probably true.

Another lady and I went around the tables showing some of the other attendees what to do because they had come along hoping to learn how to make something but the young woman from the statements staff taking the class admitted that this was a new thing for her because some passengers had asked about craft classes.  She told everyone to help themselves to small piles of scraps of card, paper ribbons and then to try to think of something to do with them.  Most of the supplied stuff was so poor that I thought that it should have been binned.

That doesn’t sound good at all. Reminds me of one I attended on RCI which was basically buy a kit and assemble some pre-made elements. I didn’t stay! 

The craft classes on Ventura to the Caribbean and back were very good, well planned, well resourced and well taught. For instance, we used different inking techniques and were introduced to Zentangle, etc. 

54 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

That doesn’t sound good at all. Reminds me of one I attended on RCI which was basically buy a kit and assemble some pre-made elements. I didn’t stay! 

The craft classes on Ventura to the Caribbean and back were very good, well planned, well resourced and well taught. For instance, we used different inking techniques and were introduced to Zentangle, etc. 

I am on Ventura on November so I hope that the craft classes are still good but I think it probably depends on who is running them.

I have never tried Zentangle so that would be good for me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 9:50 PM, molecrochip said:

I’m not the most knowledgeable on these matters, but believe the classes on Iona/Arvia are outsourced to a different provider.

So maybe not an end to the classes, just an end to the current tutors?

Now we're into October, the information is out on Facebook. I can share.

On Iona/Arvia, the arts & crafts activities are led by ted, under the branding Creative Waves. https://www.experienceted.com/portfolio/po-cruises This is a fresh approach to the long standing arts & crafts offering on board. Its been wonderfully successful with great feedback.

So, the classes are not finishing - just changing provider. Their exact content may change slightly but it was always focused on the demographic of passengers onboard ship.

As it is a new provider, they are bringing their own tutors/artists on board and therefore the existing tutors were not having their contracts renewed.

On a different Arts & Crafts note, the Whitewall Galleries brand is being phased out in favour of the Clarendon Fine Art brand which already features on Cunard ships. This goes for both the land and sea galleries, and is a decision of the Art Gallery - not P&O.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

On Iona/Arvia, the arts & crafts activities are led by ted, under the branding Creative Waves. https://www.experienceted.com/portfolio/po-cruises This is a fresh approach to the long standing arts & crafts offering on board. Its been wonderfully successful with great feedback.

So, the classes are not finishing - just changing provider. Their exact content may change slightly but it was always focused on the demographic of passengers onboard ship.

As it is a new provider, they are bringing their own tutors/artists on board and therefore the existing tutors were not having their contracts renewed.

On a different Arts & Crafts note, the Whitewall Galleries brand is being phased out in favour of the Clarendon Fine Art brand which already features on Cunard ships. This goes for both the land and sea galleries, and is a decision of the Art Gallery - not P&O.

The art galleries have been under the same ownership for a while now I think. 

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

We were on Britannia (15th September) and they had art and craft activiities on board then run by Creative Waves. 

We attended one of the activies which consisted of a demonstration of napkin folding (making a rose), drawing a postcard and making a paper flower. There were other activities during the week, such as stained glass windows, painting in the dark and making a clay gonk where some of the others. Some were free, some had a charge. I only went along to the first one!

• Like 1