Norwegian Gem and disembarkation Istanbul, Turkey

NYsicilygal76

We are set to arrive in Turkey at 7am. What's the soonest I can expect to be off the boat, if I take my own luggage?  My flight is at 3pm and was hoping to see Hagia Sophia, if it's even possible (maybe drop off luggage at luggage facility in Galataport). 

What time is the last shuttle to the airport with Norwegian?  

Edited by NYsicilygal76

• NYsicilygal76 changed the title to Norwegian Gem and disembarkation Istanbul, Turkey
18 hours ago, NYsicilygal76 said:

We are set to arrive in Turkey at 7am. What's the soonest I can expect to be off the boat, if I take my own luggage?  My flight is at 3pm and was hoping to see Hagia Sophia, if it's even possible (maybe drop off luggage at luggage facility in Galataport). 

What time is the last shuttle to the airport with Norwegian?  

That is simply too tight. You need to be at the airport latest (and I mean latest) at noon which means you need to leave from the city latest at 10/10:30 to be sure you are at the airport on time. Istanbul traffic is a nightmare - if you have not experienced it first hand you cannot imagine it. The airport is huge and has two separate security checks (one even before you enter the building and it has long lines too) and getting through two securities, bag drop, passport control and walking 15-30min to your gate takes time. Add to this that also Hagia Sofia has long lines and you need in minimum 30mins to reach Hagia Sofia from Galataport (oneway, on a Sunday, if any other weekday morning and it takes much longer) and it is simply not doable  to go there if your flight leaves at 3PM. At 6 PM maybe. But at 3PM not. Any chance on staying one extra night and flying out the next day? 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

The airport in Istanbul has always had multiple layers of security, my last visit they asked if you had anything repaired as well as gifts or packages given to you.  Allow plenty of time to go thru security, my last flight had a delay so we had to go back to the hotel for another night so we got to go thru security twice.  For the bag matching they had all of the luggage laid out on the walk to the plane you pointed to your bag and then they took it to load on the plane.  I am not sure if that has changed.

Get the the airport early and relax in one of the lounges 🙂

https://www.istairport.com/en/flights/airport-guides/departing-passenger-guide/services/special-passenger-services/lounge/?locale=eniga-dis-hatlar-lounge.jpg?format=webp

Edited by fredflint