The App hasn't improved......

cantgetin

I’m guessing the examples of it being harder to get reservations have mainly been on Scarlet Lady where it’s been busier?

on the other ships I’ve often been able to be 15 minutes late or 30 minutes early but haven’t tried much for walk up as usually got all the reservations needed easily and moved them around onboard easily, but I don’t think Valiant and Resilient Lady have been as busy as Scarlet.

1 hour ago, jon81uk said:

I’m guessing the examples of it being harder to get reservations have mainly been on Scarlet Lady where it’s been busier?

All my sailings have been on Valiant with the most full at 1813 sailors (number per sailor services)

54 minutes ago, benjaminnicholas said:

VV has had more than enough time to hire the right developers to make their app easy, streamlined and reliable.

And they clearly haven't.

At least it's not as shitty as MSC's app.  It could be worse folks.

MSC’s entire IT department should be replaced.  Terrible from top to bottom

And I just realized my date to book reservations for our just booked cruise in January is...November 23 - Thanksgiving Day!  Even the night before is a busy PITA to remember.

I was really glad we made them all in advance last week - we wanted to switch to a different restaurant one night and was told "no", or not until 9 pm, which to us is the same thing.

I'm also trying to book Shore excursions which should be available now, and every port has zero available, which I can't believe is true, so I called and the SS guy was no help, said "they're either all sold out or haven't been loaded yet"....gee, thanks.

On 9/14/2023 at 9:11 AM, jon81uk said:

others have said there was IT changes, it’s not just the bookings. Most of those with cancellations wouldn’t now be using the app to book dining or anything. 

No, but there are a lot of people who rebooked and are finding discrepancies between the add-ons given (as listed in email and Virgin website) and the app. I know I have been checking the app to no avail. 

On 9/16/2023 at 10:19 PM, benjaminnicholas said:

VV has had more than enough time to hire the right developers to make their app easy, streamlined and reliable.

And they clearly haven't.

At least it's not as shitty as MSC's app.  It could be worse folks.

Are you sure.....?🙂

On 9/14/2023 at 9:12 PM, wintrev said:

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue I am having with entering travel documents.

We are sailing on Resilient Lady December 23rd and have paid in full and filled out all the other details. When I click on travel documents it comes up with this message

"we're still getting ship ready before you can upload your travel documents. Please check later".

I contacted the chat line and they said to keep trying and if I have no success just bring my documents with me - have also uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Not really happy that I will have to spend extra time for them to check this at the terminal - surely it should be working? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I can get all the way to step 7 then I just get the RED V spinning.  Is this a crash?  What to do?  It has been spinning for about 15 minutes.

4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

I can get all the way to step 7 then I just get the RED V spinning.  Is this a crash?  What to do?  It has been spinning for about 15 minutes.

Sorry to hear that - never had that problem. I still can’t get travel documents. Only thing I can suggest is to delete the app and reinstall it. Hasn’t worked for several of us who can’t get Step 2. but anything is worth a try. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wintrev said:

Sorry to hear that - never had that problem. I still can’t get travel documents. Only thing I can suggest is to delete the app and reinstall it. Hasn’t worked for several of us who can’t get Step 2. but anything is worth a try. 

We’re travelling on October 22 on Resilient Lady, and cannot do Step 2. VV are no help. I’ve had the issue referred “up” several times. 

14 hours ago, cantgetin said:

The only alternatives I know are to keep trying and reinstall.  If all else fails, there is a team at the terminal to help you.  The real question is whether the stuff you entered got saved, and there's no way to answer that.

Yes, I did not want to lose what was entered so hesitated to reinstall.  Finally, did so and the info was still there.  Got it done in only 2 hours 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 10:12 PM, wintrev said:

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue I am having with entering travel documents.

We are sailing on Resilient Lady December 23rd and have paid in full and filled out all the other details. When I click on travel documents it comes up with this message

"we're still getting ship ready before you can upload your travel documents. Please check later".

I contacted the chat line and they said to keep trying and if I have no success just bring my documents with me - have also uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Not really happy that I will have to spend extra time for them to check this at the terminal - surely it should be working? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm getting the same thing for my wife.  No problem getting mine entered, but can't complete hers.  I also can't figure out how the bloody hell to attach her to my payment method.  This shouldn't be this bloody hard!!

I’ve been on both Scarlet and Valiant and walk-up reservations are hit and miss.  Out of 4 walk-up attempts I was seated 2 times (once at test kitchen, and once at the wake), told to come back in an hour (razzle dazzle) and told nothing was available (razzle dazzle, this was extra annoying since a group of 4 employees were seated in front of me). 

I’ve also seen guests turned away at extra virgin when there were plenty of seats but I had a reservation. 

usually I just scroll the app and see what pops up and reserve that.  Worst case scenario I eat in the galley or have pizza. 

but reserving dinner and shows is the most annoying thing about virgin, one of the things that I love when sailing celebrity! If I could just get those 2 lines to mix what I like about both. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, trippingpara said:

I'm getting the same thing for my wife.  No problem getting mine entered, but can't complete hers.  I also can't figure out how the bloody hell to attach her to my payment method.  This shouldn't be this bloody hard!!

When you add payment method during check in it shows that option. 

Screenshot_20230923-101354~2.png

52 minutes ago, neverendingcruising said:

When you add payment method during check in it shows that option. 

Screenshot_20230923-101354~2.png

If that option was there I never saw it at the time I entered mine.  When I went back to add my husband it would not let me do it (same as trippinpara).  It seemed it wanted me to enter a different card for both of us, which I did not want to do, so I had it taken care of at the dock.

It wasn't there for me either.  As soon as I entered the credit card, that was it.  The screen looked different that what neverendingcruising showed.  However, once I deleted the card and went back in, I could now select my previously entered card to use (since it was now on file) and then my screen looked like neverendingcruising.  Thank you!!  Now if I could just get this bloody screen #2 (Travel Documents) to work for my wifey, then I'd be golden!

Figured I would share my experience booking my dinner reservations last night.  I decided to stay up until midnight JUST IN CASE...and I'm really glad I did! I was able to get five out of six nights booked, and a few brunch reservations.  Brunch isn't really a big deal, but figured I would do those since I was already awake and in the app.  The app actually worked just fine, so that was a relief.  But it was clear that this is now the strategy that a lot of sailors are using (reserve at midnight 45 days out) as reservation slots were rapidly disappearing as I was working my way through my list. (hence not getting anything for the sixth night)  Jumped on this morning to see what was left and almost all prime slots (from 6-830pm) are full.  I know they open more when on board, but since we got stuck with a 315 boarding time this round, I really wanted to make sure to get this settled before vacation.  (Late boarding explanation---even though I booked the cruise in March, we weren't sure if my partner would be able to come along until a few weeks ago. I couldn't reserve a boarding time until the second guest had at least a name in place. Another frustrating thing).  Overall I do love Virgin, but there are a few kinks that I wish they could work out.  Good luck with dinner everyone! 😄 And thank you to everyone who contributed on here, it helped me make an informed decision about staying up late to get this resolved. 

11 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

Figured I would share my experience booking my dinner reservations last night.  I decided to stay up until midnight JUST IN CASE...and I'm really glad I did! I was able to get five out of six nights booked, and a few brunch reservations.  Brunch isn't really a big deal, but figured I would do those since I was already awake and in the app.  The app actually worked just fine, so that was a relief.  But it was clear that this is now the strategy that a lot of sailors are using (reserve at midnight 45 days out) as reservation slots were rapidly disappearing as I was working my way through my list. (hence not getting anything for the sixth night)  Jumped on this morning to see what was left and almost all prime slots (from 6-830pm) are full.  I know they open more when on board, but since we got stuck with a 315 boarding time this round, I really wanted to make sure to get this settled before vacation.  (Late boarding explanation---even though I booked the cruise in March, we weren't sure if my partner would be able to come along until a few weeks ago. I couldn't reserve a boarding time until the second guest had at least a name in place. Another frustrating thing).  Overall I do love Virgin, but there are a few kinks that I wish they could work out.  Good luck with dinner everyone! 😄 And thank you to everyone who contributed on here, it helped me make an informed decision about staying up late to get this resolved. 

Glad you mostly got things sorted.  A few comments on your boarding time.
For future reference, you can change the name on a VV reservation with no penalty until a few days before embarkation.  Thus, if you weren't sure your partner could come, you could book with that name and either change or delete it at a later date.

If you qualify for the loyalty status match, that would give you Sea Rover status which would give you priority boarding (meaning that your time is 2pm regardless of what the app says).  It used to be 1:30, but was changed to 2.  You also supposedly qualify if you have 2 completed cruises within specified dates, but as their system failed to show my status based on that, I did a status match and got the email to prove eligibility.  Note--the DBE perks are per cabin other than the priority boarding and cocktail party invitation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thank you @cantgetin, this is helpful!  I wish someone at Virgin had told me about the potential to change the name when I booked this one (in person on a previous sailing 🙄).  They made it sound like their policy was similar to other cruise lines and that I wasn't really able to do much besides have a confirmed space on the ship until I knew who that other traveler would be.  Ah well, live and learn.

As for the status stuff...I'm not fancy enough for any of that yet unfortunately.  Been on many cruises, but many different lines so have yet to achieve a high enough status with any of them to transfer over.  This will be my second cruise on VV, so I guess that will get me the Rover status for next time (if the system works).  Interesting that they hand out priority boarding after only two cruises...I feel like everyone is going to have priority boarding pretty soon... 😆

I'm just happy I won't have to fight for dinner this time!

Edited by Hydro ergo
  • Like 1

I can’t get the app to work at all. It initially worked when I first downloaded it but never since.

It just has their logo spinning for a while then I get “Hmm, still not happening….we seem to be having problems loading your data” the try again button never works.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? Do you think deleting it and reinstalling it might work?

Thanks

36 minutes ago, AmoMondo said:

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? Do you think deleting it and reinstalling it might work?

Thanks

The general recommendation I've seen for things like that (from Virgin and really for phone apps in general) is you can first try to delete the cache and/or data for the app to see if that fixes it.  If not, you can try to uninstall and reinstall it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tralfaz1138 said:

The general recommendation I've seen for things like that (from Virgin and really for phone apps in general) is you can first try to delete the cache and/or data for the app to see if that fixes it.  If not, you can try to uninstall and reinstall it.

Thanks.

Eventually got it to work by uninstalling and reinstalling it. Completed the check in docs, so that’s out of the way now