QV Wi Fi Upgrade

transatlantic fan

38 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Is there any evidence of the set of new Starlink antennas somewhere near the top of the ship? They are usually almost rectangular and often a set of 6 mounted on posts on the high railing somewhere.

They are just behind the funnel above deck 10 over the entrance to the C stairway. 

Hot spots are needed, I was in cabin 1091 last week and unless I stood behind the door, I couldn't get a signal. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

They are just behind the funnel above deck 10 over the entrance to the C stairway. 

Hot spots are needed, I was in cabin 1091 last week and unless I stood behind the door, I couldn't get a signal. 

Thanks - hopefully the new faster internet will be available for when we next get aboard.  If the new routers in all the rooms are installed and wired up it should make a significant improvement to being 'connected' and hopefully lead to internet grumbles being consigned to history (well, one can hope!).

My WIFI signal in 5075 is weak currently, but it's bearable and the Premium package elsewhere on the ship has been much better than previous cruises. Jane is using essentials as she signed up on day one using her credit and that seems acceptable, although we've had a 5G signal since mid-day yesterday so I'm assuming the WIFI isn't being burdened as much as it would be on a TA

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, rakkor said:

My WIFI signal in 5075 is weak currently, but it's bearable and the Premium package elsewhere on the ship has been much better than previous cruises. Jane is using essentials as she signed up on day one using her credit and that seems acceptable, although we've had a 5G signal since mid-day yesterday so I'm assuming the WIFI isn't being burdened as much as it would be on a TA

On a trip like that (SOU-AMS) I would expect that for much of the trip you would get a terrestrial cellular signal. On TA's you tend to lose everything by the first morning until fairly close to Brooklyn. I did do one westwards TA that hugged the Eastern Seaboard more than usual due to poor weather and so there was a signal on the penultimate day.

10 hours ago, transatlantic fan said:

We are on the QV 4 day cruise.

In todays programme it states all staterooms will today be fitted with a new wi fi hot spot , and should take around 15 minutes. 

That is brilliant news!

1 hour ago, transatlantic fan said:

Now over 50 mbps

20230918_130649.jpg

Could you have been connected to a land based free WiFi at that point? KPN have hotspots all over Amsterdam and at IJmuiden and Strand Wijk aan Zee, which would have been near QV's location at that time. KPN are the Dutch equivalent of BT in the UK. I wouldn't have expected a satellite system to show them as the base connection.

On 9/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, Lanky Lad said:

I noticed that QE had the external hardware when we boarded a few weeks ago in San Francisco. 

And then the below announcement appeared in today's program guide in Barcelona. 

Adobe Scan 18 Sept 2023.pdf

20230918_173324.jpg

• Like 2