QM2 Mixed Review: Some deferred maintenance, poor food, but a delight otherwise

gphb

Yes, Hattie, the answer is they are all pretty mediocre. Every new “luxury” ship announces with great fanfare their unparalleled cuisine. Have yet to find anything close. Have concluded that when serving this many people in such a short time with provisions put on board weeks ago from orders submitted months ago is probably too much to ask. 
I will say in regard to bread Explora has the best. They have their wheat milled in France and have a specially trained crew of bakers on board. You will not find better on any ship. 

I hesitate to take this further, but how do specially trained bakers differ from ordinary trained bakers? Likewise French millers?

I think the shorter cruises from Soton are usually freshly supplied with food for that cruise, or else they are loading an awful lot of empty pallets, and then there is the fact that they tend to run out of things when you are almost back. But I don’t actually know.

15 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I hesitate to take this further, but how do specially trained bakers differ from ordinary trained bakers? Likewise French millers?

I think the shorter cruises from Soton are usually freshly supplied with food for that cruise, or else they are loading an awful lot of empty pallets, and then there is the fact that they tend to run out of things when you are almost back. But I don’t actually know.

@exlondoner

Of course you are correct, i don't know any cruise line sailing today who do not restock with supplies at the start of any new cruise.

• Thanks 1

All I know is what I have been told about the Explora bread from the Chef when we complimented the bread. 
And of course French bakers and bakeries are renowned around the world as superb if not the best. 
I would come back on this ship for the pool and the bread alone. 

On most ships (like Cunard) they do bake all their tolls on board but they are largely made ashore, frozen and then thawed and baked on board. That’s why every ship’s bread tastes pretty much alike. As we say in NYC, “Feh!!”

Explora is totally unique in doing everything on board.

5 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

On most ships (like Cunard) they do bake all their tolls on board but they are largely made ashore, frozen and then thawed and baked on board. That’s why every ship’s bread tastes pretty much alike. As we say in NYC, “Feh!!”

It may have changed because it was a while ago, but there were certainly people making rolls when I did a ship’s tour. I don’t know how well trained they were. What does Feh mean?

36 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

but how do specially trained bakers differ from ordinary trained bakers? Likewise French millers?

I can't answer your question, but rolls were mentioned in a previous post.

What I can say is that the bread that is baked in our local supermarket (Tesco Extra sized) tastes much better than Cunard's rolls.

Presumably it's prepared elsewhere then cooked in the store's ovens. The ovens are visible, but I don't think there's enough space in the prep area for them to be making from scratch.

In the last 10 years they have been stocking more British style loaves for sandwich making but the bulk of what is sold is freshly cooked.

I'm not complaining about Cunard's rolls but bread isn't my biggest concern when eating on a ship.

20 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

My goodness you are expert in such a range of topics. I am glad to be put straight about cruise ship bread and there was me thinking all that flour was for bread making. 

11 minutes ago, D&N said:

I can't answer your question, but rolls were mentioned in a previous post.

What I can say is that the bread that is baked in our local supermarket (Tesco Extra sized) tastes much better than Cunard's rolls.

Presumably it's prepared elsewhere then cooked in the store's ovens. The ovens are visible, but I don't think there's enough space in the prep area for them to be making from scratch.

In the last 10 years they have been stocking more British style loaves for sandwich making but the bulk of what is sold is freshly cooked.

I'm not complaining about Cunard's rolls but bread isn't my biggest concern when eating on a ship.

Oh I always enjoy it very much when the little basket appears with about eight different types of rolls, which don’t all taste identical. Problem is I have to give them up after a couple of days as spare capacity begins to decrease. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It may have changed because it was a while ago, but there were certainly people making rolls when I did a ship’s tour. I don’t know how well trained they were. What does Feh mean?

I think it's US speak for 'gosh, that's awful'!

Not had a roll for around ten years on Cunard  as my spare capacity goes on morning toast for the crispy bacon toastie.

Could be luxury bread or it could be cheap 'n cheerful's own by the time I've finished slathering brown sauce on it.😀

My husband is very partial to the cheesy roll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Not had a roll for around ten years on Cunard  as my spare capacity goes on morning toast for the crispy bacon toastie.

Could be luxury bread or it could be cheap 'n cheerful's own by the time I've finished slathering brown sauce on it.😀

My husband is very partial to the cheesy roll.

We always enjoy the roll baskets and pastry basket when presented to us at the meals. And we still enjoy the style of toast we like at that breakfast on the Silver Toast Holder.

Of course and roll and that gravy/sauce left on the plate is the cherry on top of the sundae. Good to the last drop.

We have found cheesy rolls on our last September sailing, mostly breakfast and lunch and not dinner. Crispy as it melted on top.

Happy with all their bakery goods.

4 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

A quick google search revealed this:

On Royal Caribbean ships, every baked good is made from scratch every day so when guests sit at the table, they get the freshest of breads and pastries possible. The only thing better than the aroma, is the taste.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We always enjoy the roll baskets and pastry basket when presented to us at the meals. And we still enjoy the style of toast we like at that breakfast on the Silver Toast Holder.

Of course and roll and that gravy/sauce left on the plate is the cherry on top of the sundae. Good to the last drop.

We have found cheesy rolls on our last September sailing, mostly breakfast and lunch and not dinner. Crispy as it melted on top.

57 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Put your foot down BklynBoy8 and demand  your cheesy rolls of an evening. ☺️ The wait staff ask me and turn to  my husband with a smile as they know my answer, just as they're ready with the cheesy one before he asks!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Put your foot down BklynBoy8 and demand  your cheesy rolls of an evening. ☺️ The wait staff ask me and turn to  my husband with a smile as they know my answer, just as they're ready with the cheesy one before he asks!!

Even though it is 530+ days away, It Is Alright On My List!........lol.....

Their Everything roll is not too bad also. I coming from Brooklyn the home of the Bagels, I liked theirs for the Smoke Salmon at Breakfast..  Good quality especially lightly toasted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whipsnade said:

Well, Phil, you can believe what you want that is put out by RCL PR dept. 

@Whipsnade

I have only been on RCL once, many years ago and have no plans to return, so i don't know how good/or not their bread is.Yes, maybe i am a bit gullible as i do tend to believe what i read/hear but why would RCL give false information out in writing if it is not true, i don't know, maybe i am just to trusting. 

Another bit of googling came up with this:

With buffet options for anytime dining and premium dining establishments, having fresh bread available is essential. It obviously depends on the cruise line, but most chefs bake breads onboard, three times each day — using up to 1,500 pounds of flour daily.

How could they use 1500lbs of flour daily if it was pre-made and frozen before being brought onboard, as you say.

Edited by seasickphil
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

and equally, one can choose not to.

Personally, *, I'm of the opinion RCL would get hung out to dry in the travel press if it was found out their baked from scratch bread onboard was in fact, baked from frozen.

depending on how current the information is.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

I was in one of the QM2 bakeries in August.

There was no frozen ingredients. Everything was made from scratch.

Thank you for letting us know that. It also makes perfect sense. The transport and storage of ready-made, frozen items would be more arduous than the transport and storage of the basic ingredients. And commercial kitchens have equipment for making such products in scale; it would be a straightforward matter for professional bakers.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

I was in one of the QM2 bakeries in August.

There was no frozen ingredients. Everything was made from scratch.

and I, pre Covid so it's good to know Cunard's freezers aren't block booked with bread and pastries! 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Surely it is unlikely a competent PR department would tell lies about an easily checked matter of fact. They would just avoid the issue, or stick with the highly subjective ‘the only thing better than the aroma is the taste’.