Villefranche - Azamara disembarkation by tender. Anyone done it?

cruisingaussies

Anyone know how disembarkation is handled at Villefranche?  Have been there several times and I can’t imagine how:

(a) Azamara Quest will handle all the pax and luggage on tenders in a timely fashion 

nor

(b) how that tiny reception building on the quay in Villefranche will cope with receiving pax and luggage. 

nor
(c) will there be plenty of taxis available, the whole port area is so small. 

Has anyone experienced this?

Its Azamara Quest May 11 2024 Rome to ‘Nice’ cruise. 

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Like you, we've never found a problem tendering at Villefranche on a port-of-call visit.

Are you saying that it's being used as a turnaround port?

For a large proportion of its passengers?

JB 🙂

Yes it is a turnaround, our cruise finishes in Villefranche on 18 May and another begins. No idea how many are disembarking /embarking. 

Interesting!  I have a hunch (based on nothing but speculation) that Azamara will eventually change the itinerary.  Why?  Villefranche will be a very difficult port for a turn-around day in that everything must be tendered and there is no adequate facility (on land) to handle luggage.  Looking ahead at port schedules (which may not be accurate) it appears that the port at Monte Carlo has no ships on May 18, 2024.  That facility can dock 2 cruise ships and does have the facilities/infrastructure to easily handle turn-around days.  

I would also mention that the port of Nice, actually has a relatively small pier that can handle smaller cruise ships (we used it many years ago when cruising on the Regency Spirit).  For whatever reason, this small port facility seems to no longer be used for cruise ships (it does handle some large ferries).  I wonder if that is actually a possibility (perhaps one of the professional mariners can comment on the maximum size vessel that can be handled by that port.).  

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I would also mention that the port of Nice, actually has a relatively small pier that can handle smaller cruise ships (we used it many years ago when cruising on the Regency Spirit). 

Hank

It looks very much like Sherlock is right. (I hate saying he's right 😃)

And that you have been thrown by cruise lines frequently and incorrectly referring to Villefranche-Sur-Mer as  "Nice".

Azamara's website shows your cruise as embarking Rome (Civitavecchia) on 11th May and debarking (awful Americanisation of dis-embarking 😏)  on 18th may in NICE. Then another cruise embarking in NICE same-day.

https://www.azamara.com/gb/cruises?destinations=MEDITERRANEAN

Yes, there's  cruise berth in NICE at Vieux Port (google-maps calls it Lympia Port), perfectly capable of handling Quest.

Ships moored off Villefranche are a short swim plus a 3 mile drive from that cruise berth. No need for you to get your feet wet or to rescue your luggage from the briny. 🙂

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZKAfbRnZEoEmFmww8

And this is Quest or a sister at that port.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5fXvv22dZZxBGsT47

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

1 minute ago, John Bull said:

It looks very much like Sherlock is right. (I hate saying he's right 😃)

And that you have been thrown by cruise lines frequently and incorrectly referring to Villefranche-Sur-Mer as  "Nice".

Azamara's website shows your cruise as embarking Rome (Civitavecchia) on 11th May and debarking (awful Americanisation of dis-embarking 😏)  on 18th may in NICE. Then another cruise embarking in NICE same-day.

Yes, there's  cruise berth in NICE at Vieux Port (google-maps calls it Lympia Port), perfectly capable of handling Quest.

Ships moored off Villefranche are a short swim plus a 3 mile drive from that cruise berth. No need for you to get your feet wet or to rescue your luggage from the briny. 🙂

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZKAfbRnZEoEmFmww8

JB 🙂

LOL JB.  You are well aware that we are never "thrown" unless we have too much Guinness :).  Was just pointing out the options.  We have long wondered why that port facility, located at the old port of Nice, is seldom used by the smaller cruise ships.  Last year, when we spent a few days in Nice, I actually posed this question to our hotel concierge (who has lived in Nice his entire life).  He also was not sure, but speculated that the facility was often needed for some ferries (which get precedent).  

Hope all is well with you and "J" on your side of the pond.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

LOL JB.  You are well aware that we are never "thrown" unless we have too much Guinness :).  Was just pointing out the options.  We have long wondered why that port facility, located at the old port of Nice, is seldom used by the smaller cruise ships.  Last year, when we spent a few days in Nice, I actually posed this question to our hotel concierge (who has lived in Nice his entire life).  He also was not sure, but speculated that the facility was often needed for some ferries (which get precedent).  

Hope all is well with you and "J" on your side of the pond.

Hank

I wouldn't dare accuse you of being "thrown", Hank - that was aimed at our Australian chums, though it would have thrown me too. 😏

Yes, all is well in your mother country (that was aimed at both of you 😏)

And sadly Julie is in fine voice 😀

JB 🙂

• Haha 1

Below is from cruise timetables.com and refers to Villefranche (Nice). Our Aza itinerary refers to Nice (Villefranche) which is the usual description, just like Rome (Civitavecchia) Florence (Livorno) etc. 

On the timetable Azamara Quest is shown as arriving and departing Villefranche on 07 and 18 May. Plus other ships including Voyager of the Seas on 17 May which has max pax of 4000!!!

Sorry about the messy copying but am doing this in bed on my iPad with my morning coffee. 

Villefranche (Nice) Cruise Ship Schedule For May 2024

Day

Cruise Line

Ship

Times

Pass'gers  

May
Sat 4
🧍🧍

Norwegian Cruise Line logo

a 0700 d 1800

Tue 7
🧍

Azamara Cruises logo

Wed 8
🧍🧍

Celebrity Cruises logo

a 0800 d 1800

Sat 11
🧍

Crystal Cruises logo

Tue 14
🧍

Marella Cruises logo

a 0800 d 1800

Fri 17
🧍🧍

Royal Caribbean Cruises logo

a 1000 d 1800

Sat 18
🧍

Azamara Cruises logo

a 0600 d 1800

2 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Below is from cruise timetables.com and refers to Villefranche (Nice). Our Aza itinerary refers to Nice (Villefranche) which is the usual description, just like Rome (Civitavecchia) Florence (Livorno) etc. 

On the timetable Azamara Quest is shown as arriving and departing Villefranche on 07 and 18 May. Plus other ships including Voyager of the Seas on 17 May which has max pax of 4000!!!

Sorry about the messy copying but am doing this in bed on my iPad with my morning coffee. 

Villefranche (Nice) Cruise Ship Schedule For May 2024

Day

Cruise Line

Ship

Times

Pass'gers  

May
Sat 4
🧍🧍

Norwegian Cruise Line logo

a 0700 d 1800

Tue 7
🧍

Azamara Cruises logo

Wed 8
🧍🧍

Celebrity Cruises logo

a 0800 d 1800

Sat 11
🧍

Crystal Cruises logo

Tue 14
🧍

Marella Cruises logo

a 0800 d 1800

Fri 17
🧍🧍

Royal Caribbean Cruises logo

a 1000 d 1800

Sat 18
🧍

Azamara Cruises logo

a 0600 d 1800

I used Azamara's website for the Med. https://www.azamara.com/gb/cruises?destinations=MEDITERRANEAN and scrolled to Quest 11th May.

I clicked on Itinerary & it shows

Sat 11-May 2024 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Embark - 6:00PM
Sat 18-May 2024 Nice, France Debark 6:00AM

But when I clicked on View Details & the map says Nice (Villefranche)

So you'll need your waders and buoyancy armbands 😏

Think of the grief that cruise lines would cause if instructions to their captains were as vague & ambiguous 🙄

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

I used Azamara's website for the Med. https://www.azamara.com/gb/cruises?destinations=MEDITERRANEAN and scrolled to Quest 11th May.

I clicked on Itinerary & it shows

Sat 11-May 2024 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Embark - 6:00PM
Sat 18-May 2024 Nice, France Debark 6:00AM

But when I clicked on View Details & the map says Nice (Villefranche)

So you'll need your waders and buoyancy armbands 😏

Think of the grief that cruise lines would cause if instructions to their captains were as vague & ambiguous 🙄

JB 🙂

Let's just hope the captain knows where he's parking the ship!!  🙄😁

I've Googled in French but most websites refer "Nice" back to Villefranche.  There is an email address and phone number for the Nice port authority but I doubt I'll get a response if I email and to phone the time difference Aus-France is too awkward.