Regent “We do not provide this service.”

PaulaJK

We just completed Mariner’s TA from BCN to NYC. As disembarkation loomed, I tried to arrange wheelchair assistance as the gangplanks often are serpentine and the distances long. . The above was the reply…and the reality. Destination Services indicated that it knew other lines offered this service, not Regent.

Understandably, this TA itinerary was quite popular among senior citizens. Many walked with canes, some as a little extra support and

others, seemingly very dependent on them and gingerly wobbling along. Crew were seen solicitously offering  an arm  to many…but my comment is to the company policies.

We were also on the preceding cruise, VCE-BCN. It was marked by a ‘ no services’ boarding in Venice which included a long walk.

This was a port heavy itinerary and few shuttles were offered. The answer was that the towns were “nearby” but often that meant 1-2 miles…a stretch for many or a limitation in the visit. Casablanca was an impossibility for many.

Got me to thinking…Most public bathrooms do not have bars/ a handle and the cabin bathrooms do not. These items have become more frequent these days in non- handicap bathrooms. (Of positive note, the showers do have a hand bar.)

There was much chatter about whether Regent was accommodating its passengers.i would like to hear if you have had different experiences w other lines .

That is very concerning to read. I am on my first Regent cruise next week and use a cane due to severe back pain. I’m not expecting to get off the ship very much but I assumed Regent would provide assistance to shuttles or tour coach. I’ve rung them twice to confirm they know I will struggle and both times been told not to worry. Now I’m worried! 

3 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

We just completed Mariner’s TA from BCN to NYC. As disembarkation loomed, I tried to arrange wheelchair assistance as the gangplanks often are serpentine and the distances long. . The above was the reply…and the reality. Destination Services indicated that it knew other lines offered this service, not Regent.

Understandably, this TA itinerary was quite popular among senior citizens. Many walked with canes, some as a little extra support and

others, seemingly very dependent on them and gingerly wobbling along. Crew were seen solicitously offering  an arm  to many…but my comment is to the company policies.

We were also on the preceding cruise, VCE-BCN. It was marked by a ‘ no services’ boarding in Venice which included a long walk.

This was a port heavy itinerary and few shuttles were offered. The answer was that the towns were “nearby” but often that meant 1-2 miles…a stretch for many or a limitation in the visit. Casablanca was an impossibility for many.

Got me to thinking…Most public bathrooms do not have bars/ a handle and the cabin bathrooms do not. These items have become more frequent these days in non- handicap bathrooms. (Of positive note, the showers do have a hand bar.)

There was much chatter about whether Regent was accommodating its passengers.i would like to hear if you have had different experiences w other lines .

PaulaJK, we encountered the lack of shuttles/carts and extremely long dock walks either to buses or taxis or into towns in the Caribbean this past Jan. I  have walked with canes for years  but now have to do mini rest stops if the walk was long or hot. In fact we didn’t do a couple of tours because the walk to the bus pick up was to far. It was the same deal for other ships docked with us and other lines we have sailed on. This has been a problem for us in commercial ports at times all over the world pre Covid also!

As far as getting wheelchair assistance…I had that on both the Splendor and the Navigator this year. But the ships personnel could only go to the end of the gangway. At that point the terminal wheelchair crew had another wheelchair  for me and took me the rest of the way. 

3 minutes ago, casperthecat said:

That is very concerning to read. I am on my first Regent cruise next week and use a cane due to severe back pain. I’m not expecting to get off the ship very much but I assumed Regent would provide assistance to shuttles or tour coach. I’ve rung them twice to confirm they know I will struggle and both times been told not to worry. Now I’m worried! 

Regent has all ways taken care of any ship issues. The suite bath is very easy to move around in and there are bars in the public restrooms along with hand rails along hallways to help when it is rough and lots of places to sit.

Regent has no control over what happens at the end of the gangway. That is the port authority. Sometimes the buses, vans and taxi can come right up to the gangway, sometimes the port has carts or shuttles that can transport you to the buses and other transportation into town and sometimes you have to walk  to buses or town and it can be quite far! That is when we stay on board and have a very nice relaxing sea day with wonderful room service. The tour people will give you information on each port and what the docking situation is like. Go talk to them and explain your issues. They can give you more info on the port set up. But be sure to read the tour information (all of it) very carefully. It is usually right on about walking distances, number of steps and walking conditions. I always take a book because some times I can’t do a part of the tour even with care research and just stay on the bus and read while DH does his thing and takes pictures for me!

Many years ago we did a cruise down the California coast and parts of Mexico; we sailed out of the port where Queen Elizabeth is docked.  While boarding the ship, we sat and watched dozens of people being wheeled up the gangway, seemingly one at a time.  A porter would take one up, then come back with the wheelchair and pick up another one.  It turned out we had stumbled on an anniversary cruise of Mariner's maiden voyage and these people were reuniting for a cruise; we had sailed on part of her maiden itinerary so we mistakenly got the t-shirts and a couple of other things, but we weren't invited to any of the gatherings.  All to say, it looked like the wheelchairs were owned by the Port Authority.  There were a few incidents of near fist fights on who had the next turn.

=

At the risk of being completely flamed…. Have you considered bringing help with you for these reasons?   I have family members who are to one extent or another disabled, and we make sure we can handle things within our group.  It never  ceases to amaze me that some expect to be given such services.   Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if there were great numbers of passengers needing help getting around everywhere?  I mean no disrespect.  My feeling is that to expect this is not only unreasonable but selfish.   When we travel we make sure we can handle everything within our group.  Our problems are not everyone else’s problems.  

Don’t  even get me started on why they have to go to the front of every line!  And bring everyone traveling with them to the front as well.   I’ve been told “well it takes longer for me to get through security (or whatever)”.  Well…..plan for that.   I travel with people who need more time for certain things like security, too and we plan for that.   I’ve been told well I can’t sit / stand that long or I can’t wait that long” … then wait till the line dies down and go.   Many many people can’t stand for long periods of time and still just patiently wait their turn.  Why expect extra “services” and special priority.   

Edited by Smitty A
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, you mean no disrespect but imply,if not label, that I am unintelligent, selfish, suffer from entitlement and was expecting ‘special’ services. It’s best to thoughtfully read a post..in this case it would reveal that my husband walked w cane without assistance during this 24 day cruise. The inquiry was for WC assistance in disembarking. Seaborne offers this. Crystal offers it. Regent does not. It is possible…and not uncommon…for opinions to vary. But arrogant replies happily are not common.

Scout, Regent offers many details in each tour description, including the amount of walking and under what conditions. Once onboard, any clarification of a tour is found in an updated print out. 
Destination Services will answer any inquiries. At this point we book few tours but prefer private arrangements or the informality of shuttle service to a central point.  

1 hour ago, Smitty A said:

At the risk of being completely flamed…. Have you considered bringing help with you for these reasons?   I have family members who are to one extent or another disabled, and we make sure we can handle things within our group.  It never  ceases to amaze me that some expect to be given such services.   Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if there were great numbers of passengers needing help getting around everywhere?  I mean no disrespect.  My feeling is that to expect this is not only unreasonable but selfish.   When we travel we make sure we can handle everything within our group.  Our problems are not everyone else’s problems.  

Don’t  even get me started on why they have to go to the front of every line!  And bring everyone traveling with them to the front as well.   I’ve been told “well it takes longer for me to get through security (or whatever)”.  Well…..plan for that.   I travel with people who need more time for certain things like security, too and we plan for that.   I’ve been told well I can’t sit / stand that long or I can’t wait that long” … then wait till the line dies down and go.   Many many people can’t stand for long periods of time and still just patiently wait their turn.  Why expect extra “services” and special priority.   

At the risk of being “completely flamed…..”

your post sounds incredibly insensitive and opinionated.

I doubt that people with difficulties pick their situation. It happens.

Maybe it would be more kind to show compassion for their situation, instead of preaching about what they should do or how to plan 

You may handle things differently than others, but that doesn’t mean that it’s the right way or the only way.

just my thoughts, take it or leave it.

Edited by jet65
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jet65 said:

At the risk of being “completely flamed…..”

your post sounds incredibly insensitive and opinionated.

I doubt that people with difficulties pick their situation. It happens.

Maybe it would be more kind to show compassion for their situation, instead of preaching about what they should do or how to plan 

You may handle things differently than others, but that doesn’t mean that it’s the right way or the only 

way.

just my thoughts, take it or leave it.

Just my thoughts (and opinion) as well.  All I am saying is rather than complaining about what is not provided, why not take it upon yourself to take care of your own issues instead of expecting others to do it for you?   Make arrangements to travel with help….problem solved.    The OP complained about this all at embarkation as well.   

I never said disabled people pick their situation.  i am very compassionate by the way regarding disabled people, I have numerous close relatives and friends who are disabled. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

Interesting, you mean no disrespect but imply,if not label, that I am unintelligent, selfish, suffer from entitlement and was expecting ‘special’ services. It’s best to thoughtfully read a post..in this case it would reveal that my husband walked w cane without assistance during this 24 day cruise. The inquiry was for WC assistance in disembarking. Seaborne offers this. Crystal offers it. Regent does not. It is possible…and not uncommon…for opinions to vary. But arrogant replies happily are not common.

Never once did I imply or state that you were unintelligent, or suffer from entitlement.  If it is not normally offered then it is, by definition a special service.   And… your post did include comments about not being able to do excursions, not just about disembarkation.  All I suggested was that you should arrange for help or consider what help you need when booking a cruise.  You said other lines offer it…all lines are different. That means choices are available.   I won’t respond to further posts

• Like 3

Airports/airlines and cruise.terminals/cruise ships have offered wheelchair assistance for the last 20 years that I have needed it. Pre Covid that list included for us HAL, Cunard, Seabourn, Regent and serval others we cruise with with the Grands. 

Paula, We did three cruises with Regent earlier this year out of Miami and Regent did provided gangway wheelchair service. As I said there was a change over at the gangway from Regent staff to terminal staff and wheelchair according to Miami terminal rules. This staff change over has happened before in some terminals, guess has something to do with local port rules.

Smitty A, not every person who  has a handicap needs a “keeper” to get around. I don’t. But many of us that are relative self sufficient need a little extra at times.mainly when we can’’t “pick” our time as you say to board the plane or ship and have to deal with crowds, long lines and great distances. We have traveled all over the world and the airports and terminals have all freely provided assistance. I definitely do not think using a service/help provided to get past a taxing situation selfish since it is freely offered.

As far as sitting at the front of the bus, I don’t , I find it a pain since I sometimes don’t get off and don’t enjoy being beat to death by other passengers pushing to get off.

5 hours ago, Smitty A said:

4 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

• Like 2

My comment about the difference in ports covers more than what is covered by the tour descriptions.  In general I have seen that in the Med and Japan that in general you have to walk father, faster, and over much less handicap friendly terrain than you do in the UK, Ireland and Scandinavia.  The problem with some of the ports is getting to the tour.  In France in 2022 they kept using the ports gangway which was a metal sliding board with some nonskid strips but could be at a fifteen to twenty degree angle with no steps.  On port did have steps but they were on an open scaffold which went up thirty feet  and then crossed a bridge to the ship.  The distance from the ship to transportation is also often beyond the control of Regent. If you are lucky you have a short walk to the terminal, the buses or a shuttle, but I know that it was a long walk along the docks in Casablanca and I have heard stories about getting through a number of other port terminals.

The open question is which ports and parts of the world will create problems for you and should either be avoided or you should plan to stay with the ship.    

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Scout16 said:

My comment about the difference in ports covers more than what is covered by the tour descriptions.  In general I have seen that in the Med and Japan that in general you have to walk father, faster, and over much less handicap friendly terrain than you do in the UK, Ireland and Scandinavia.  The problem with some of the ports is getting to the tour.  In France in 2022 they kept using the ports gangway which was a metal sliding board with some nonskid strips but could be at a fifteen to twenty degree angle with no steps.  On port did have steps but they were on an open scaffold which went up thirty feet  and then crossed a bridge to the ship.  The distance from the ship to transportation is also often beyond the control of Regent. If you are lucky you have a short walk to the terminal, the buses or a shuttle, but I know that it was a long walk along the docks in Casablanca and I have heard stories about getting through a number of other port terminals.

The open question is which ports and parts of the world will create problems for you and should either be avoided or you should plan to stay with the ship.    

Most of the time a chat at destinations desk will clear up the port accessibility  issue. Last three Regent cruises in the Caribbean I spent some time with department head talking over the dock situation at each port. Most of the ports had at least one tour that I could easily do (one didn’t) but a couple had impossibly long hot dock walks over uneven ground and through long market places to the buses and taxis. I turned those tickets back in and stayed on the ship. That’s really not a hardship for us anymore since we enjoy the ship as much as the ports. 
You are right in your assessment of the ports/cities around the world. Many are not handicapped friendly. Anymore if we really want to visit a city or area in depth, we fly in, stay at a hotel and hire a car and driver to take us around.’ Still have to do many drive bys though.

It would be nice to have something like What’s in a Port that describes the dock area with the handicap in mind.

Scout16….Now I better understand your suggestion which certainly would be very comprehensive. And yes, gangway differences exist. Perhaps you could author a book…I bet that it would sell.

The tour descriptions noted the amount and degree of strenuousness. Perhaps someone who experienced them could comment on their accuracy. We didn’t take any..been there before, too much walking..and why do tours always need to depart around 8am?!? We did count on shuttles as we enjoy a bit of sightseeing/ wandering  coupled w lunch ashore so the shortfall in shuttles was a negative for us. We’re platinum on R and some of our negative experiences on this cruise were new to us and unanticipated.

I think the problem with trying to get detailed descriptions of each port in advance, let alone getting them published, is that ease or difficulty of access can depend on which berth your ship is in — something which may not be known in advance, or which may be changed at the last minute. In some of the Caribbean ports with very long piers, for instance, there could be a significant difference if your ship is in the closest-in or farthest-out berth along the pier. Also, in some ports, there may be a tram or bus which is normally available — except when it's not! A Sunday, a holiday, a staff shortage, no other ships in port, too many ships in port, a tour returning after regular hours… all could impact whether or not there's shuttle available when you need it. And even the placement of the gangway can vary depending on how heavily loaded or not the ship is, as well as tides. 

• Like 1

Hate to discourage you Pcardad but that was all that we were requesting. And my quote is from Marjia of Destination Services. After her, we spoke w Exec Concierge….same response. Also forget pre  ‘arranging’ as they told us when you get into the terminal ask the port for assistance. This instruction was given a few days pre disembarkation. Just not our expectation..and not our previous experiences.

So PaulaJK what has been your solution? We are doing Montreal to Boston on Grandeur next year. Both of us over 80 and I need a rollator to prevent falls. I can do distance but not sure about DW.

I spoke to Regent when reserving, the answer obviously was "no problem". Right

16 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

Hate to discourage you Pcardad but that was all that we were requesting. And my quote is from Marjia of Destination Services. After her, we spoke w Exec Concierge….same response. Also forget pre  ‘arranging’ as they told us when you get into the terminal ask the port for assistance. This instruction was given a few days pre disembarkation. Just not our expectation..and not our previous experiences.

They both told you that Regent would not help a wheelchair passenger up/down the gangway?