4:15pm Boarding Time Assignment on the QE in Barcelona

BeachTunes

Hello! 

First of all, thanks to each of you for answering my plethora of questions over the past few months as we anticipate our first Cunard cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth. We've reached the three week mark until embarkation which is very exciting, which also means we have checked in and received our boarding time. 

Alas, we've been assigned a very late check in time of 4:15pm. It is what it is but my goodness, that seems late! By the time we check in, go through security and reach the stateroom, we will barely have had time to go to our muster station, clean up and be ready for dinner. (Already have noted to pack evening attire in our carry ons.) Our typical boarding times on other cruise lines have been 2pm at the extreme latest which has allowed us to find our bearings, unpack at our leisure, explore the ship, have a snack/bevy and get settled in. 

We will be in Barcelona for two nights pre-cruise so we'll just have our hotel store our bags while we enjoy another lunch in the city. Not a terrible problem to solve and a first world problem at that, but I have to confess we're a bit disappointed. 

I've read that others say to "Show up whenever!" and all will be fine but I don't want to mess with the system. We'll likely arrive at 3pm and hope for the best. I know this has been discussed at length so I hesitate to post but am a tad bit downtrodden and am looking for a pep talk! 😉 

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

Hello! 

First of all, thanks to each of you for answering my plethora of questions over the past few months as we anticipate our first Cunard cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth. We've reached the three week mark until embarkation which is very exciting, which also means we have checked in and received our boarding time. 

Alas, we've been assigned a very late check in time of 4:15pm. It is what it is but my goodness, that seems late! By the time we check in, go through security and reach the stateroom, we will barely have had time to go to our muster station, clean up and be ready for dinner. (Already have noted to pack evening attire in our carry ons.) Our typical boarding times on other cruise lines have been 2pm at the extreme latest which has allowed us to find our bearings, unpack at our leisure, explore the ship, have a snack/bevy and get settled in. 

We will be in Barcelona for two nights pre-cruise so we'll just have our hotel store our bags while we enjoy another lunch in the city. Not a terrible problem to solve and a first world problem at that, but I have to confess we're a bit disappointed. 

I've read that others say to "Show up whenever!" and all will be fine but I don't want to mess with the system. We'll likely arrive at 3pm and hope for the best. I know this has been discussed at length so I hesitate to post but am a tad bit downtrodden and am looking for a pep talk! 😉 

What deck is your cabin on please? We are on level 8 from Barcelona in October and previously when we were on deck 8 we had a late boarding time.

49 minutes ago, WoorimBeachLady said:

What deck is your cabin on please? We are on level 8 from Barcelona in October and previously when we were on deck 8 we had a late boarding time.

Hello. We are on Deck 6 in a Balcony Stateroom. We were originally booked in an Obstructed View Balcony Guarantee but won our upgrade bid. 

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tiggis said:

We have been given 12.45 but are in QG. I suspect the boarding times are more relaxed than usual because the ship doesn’t sail until late evening. But of course that is no consolation to the OP.

We have been given 12.45 as well, with a final boarding time 20:00, we don't depart until 23:00.

Edited by seasickphil
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

Alas, we've been assigned a very late check in time of 4:15pm

Beach Tunes,

For folks who are not in The Grills or who do not have Platinum or Diamond status, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how boarding times are assigned. We have spoken to many many fellow passengers about this. It isn't by deck nor by fare paid. It doesn't seem to matter what type of cabin you are in. It also doesn't seem to matter if you booked a year in advance or a month in advance. However, if you do decide to arrive at 3:00PM, I think you will be able to board very quickly. Would love to hear back from you after you board. 

HAVE A GREAT VOYAGE.

Jack

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Beach Tunes,

For folks who are not in The Grills or who do not have Platinum or Diamond status, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how boarding times are assigned. We have spoken to many many fellow passengers about this. It isn't by deck nor by fare paid. It doesn't seem to matter what type of cabin you are in. It also doesn't seem to matter if you booked a year in advance or a month in advance. However, if you do decide to arrive at 3:00PM, I think you will be able to board very quickly. Would love to hear back from you after you board. 

HAVE A GREAT VOYAGE.

Jack

Thank you for the input Jack!

That's helpful to know that if we arrive at 3pm we might get lucky and be on board a little sooner. I just can't wait to check out this beauty of a ship! 🙂 Our "New Ship Routine" is to head to the top deck and work our way down exploring all of the venues along the way. Worst case scenario: We will accomplish that on day 2, a sea day. 

And huge thanks for your recent live reports! You have helped us become even more excited about our first Cunard sailing! I'll be sure to return the favour with a post-cruise report! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, seivwrig said:

Originally I got a boarding time of 1pm and change to 12:30 pm with the Grills upgrade. Why I got 1pm seems early compared to some.

@seivwrig  Thanks for sharing your timing. Enjoy lunch on board! 🙂

And to everyone else I've bombarded with this trite woe: I've calmed down and have turned the glass from half empty to half full. 🥂 We've never been to Barcelona before and will be staying 2 nights pre-cruise. I've shortlisted more restaurants in the city than we could conquer in a week let alone 2 and a half days so adding one more lunch in Barcelona will be a treat! 🍖🦑🧀🍾🥩🥘

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

And to everyone else I've bombarded with this trite woe: I've calmed down and have turned the glass from half empty to half full. 🥂 We've never been to Barcelona before and will be staying 2 nights pre-cruise. I've shortlisted more restaurants in the city than we could conquer in a week let alone 2 and a half days so adding one more lunch in Barcelona will be a treat! 🍖🦑🧀🍾🥩🥘

Please share your thoughts on the restaurants! We will be in Barcelona 28 - 30 October 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 57eric said:

Are boarding times being enforced now?  My experience may be out of date, but I've never paid any attention to them and, as far as I could tell, neither did any of the terminal staff. 

They can be enforced now if the staff at the terminal chose to. Just turning up is not a thing now in Southampton. You could be asked to wait outside the terminal in a queue until your allocated time. May not always happen but it’s something to be aware of. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

They can be enforced now if the staff at the terminal chose to. Just turning up is not a thing now in Southampton. You could be asked to wait outside the terminal in a queue until your allocated time. May not always happen but it’s something to be aware of. 

Thanks.  Can anyone report on New York in this regard?

7 hours ago, 57eric said:

Thanks.  Can anyone report on New York in this regard?

I'll take the bait. At the risk of being flogged by the CC community, we primarily board in Brooklyn and have never given a thought to the assigned boarding time. We usually stay at the Brooklyn Motor Inn the evening before and walk down to the cruise terminal at checkout, usually noon. There is normally a wait until 1 or 130 to start check-in so a small crowd assembles during this time. More than would be assigned at one time but nothing unmanageable. And then on to the ship, I've never seen times being checked. Don't think I've ever been onboard later than 230.

Please be kind of you must respond. I am aware of why times are assigned, just sharing the reality of boarding in Brooklyn.

Edited by fourmile.ranch
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Beach Tunes,

HAVE A GREAT VOYAGE.

Jack

Diamond status doesn't seem to count for much.  Sailing out of Brooklyn & got 3pm check-in with a 5pm sailing.  

• 4 months later...
On 9/18/2023 at 5:06 PM, BeachTunes said:

Would love your short list of restauants, VBeach Tunes, and I truly hope all went without a hitch.  fwiiw, we are pre planning fo 10/14/24 sailing.