POA- Napali Coast question..

big al

So my DW & I are thinking of doing the Pride Of America Hawaii cruise for our anniversary May 2025..I know it's a long way off & things can change, but I read somewhere on here that NCL is no longer cruising up & down the Napali coast..this for us was a big attraction..I don't do helicopters, so a cruise up & down the Napali coast was what we were thinking...any recent cruisers give some thoughts/ answers on this?

Also for Maui, were were thinking of going to Lahaina ( we were there about 20 yrs ago & loved it..), but obviously that's out now, and maybe for the next several years..how far is the Maui port from Lahaina? Thanks..

Big Al

As of right now, the cruise no longer goes up and down the Napali coast, except for some limited sailings.  If you don't want to do a helicopter tour, there are dinner cruises and snorkeling excursions that do it.

From what I've read on these boards, and others, it's about 45 minutes from the port to Lahaina.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, big al said:

So my DW & I are thinking of doing the Pride Of America Hawaii cruise for our anniversary May 2025..I know it's a long way off & things can change, but I read somewhere on here that NCL is no longer cruising up & down the Napali coast..this for us was a big attraction..I don't do helicopters, so a cruise up & down the Napali coast was what we were thinking...any recent cruisers give some thoughts/ answers on this?

Also for Maui, were were thinking of going to Lahaina ( we were there about 20 yrs ago & loved it..), but obviously that's out now, and maybe for the next several years..how far is the Maui port from Lahaina? Thanks..

Big Al

As of right now, NCL sells specific cruises with the Na Pali coast. There is nothing currently listed beyond this year on that itinerary. You can keep watching to see if one pops up later and switch to it. Or NCL may just add it back in, cutting your Kauai port time to 1/2 on Na Pali day. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, big al said:

I took a flight on a fixed-wing plane.  "Wings Over Kauai" was much less than a helicopter tour, and longer in duration.  While we couldn't hover in place, on my flight, we circled over a helicopter tour that had to put down (safely) due to an emergency.

When I went, they picked me up just outside the port and brought me back to the "gate" after the flight.

-1091243550_20140919_122732_3457777_resized.jpg

The PoA.jpg

20140919_114739.jpg

-1085702424_20140919_104638_3288847_resized.jpg

I'm in the right-seat because the other scheduled passengers were no-shows... lucky me!

Edited by azappraiser
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, big al said:

Also for Maui, were were thinking of going to Lahaina ( we were there about 20 yrs ago & loved it..), but obviously that's out now, and maybe for the next several years..how far is the Maui port from Lahaina? 

Just curious why you are interested in how far the "Maui port" is from Lahaina?  

On 9/18/2023 at 6:16 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Just curious why you are interested in how far the "Maui port" is from Lahaina?  

Just for reference..we only know Lahaina, so I was wondering how far it was from the port as far as driving..

7 minutes ago, big al said:

Just for reference..we only know Lahaina, so I was wondering how far it was from the port as far as driving..

Thed 45 minute driving time that was mentioned earlier on here is pretty much correct if traffic is moving on the pali, but that was back in normal times before the fire. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 4:21 AM, big al said:

Big Al

I just wanted to mention one other cruise to investigate.  In April of this year I took a 12 day cruise on the Spirit from Tahiti to Honolulu and we did cruise the Na Pali coast.  I know they cruise both ways so this may offer a couple alternatives.

I hope you have a great anniversary cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ka'anapali was mostly unaffected by the fire, except for the southern portions. Most of West Maui, including parts of Lahaina will be open to tourism on Oct 8th, as per a proclamation from the governor. They're actually encouraging tourists to return after that date to lessen the economic impact.

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Ka'anapali was mostly unaffected by the fire, except for the southern portions. Most of West Maui, including parts of Lahaina will be open to tourism on Oct 8th, as per a proclamation from the governor. They're actually encouraging tourists to return after that date to lessen the economic impact.

Great news! A bit soon after what I saw on TV, but good for Lahaina!!