Returning to P&O

killaypirate

3 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I haven’t a clue,,the post was from Fb,I’ve looked but can’t find it,unless it’s on a private group.

Does seem odd it’s not been reported here.

Going well over there today! What with coconut airways quotes and now this I'm beginning to think that P&O are deliberately declaring war on the customers over there.

DL keep us upto date, sounds fascinating.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I haven’t a clue,,the post was from Fb,I’ve looked but can’t find it,unless it’s on a private group.

Does seem odd it’s not been reported here.

Looks similar to Celebrity in the MDR,,want an extra Lobster tail =$19,,or extra if you want a nice Fillet Mignon.

I noticed lots of lines offering paid for items in the MDR.

Cut back on the choice and quality,,then offer the good stuff back at a cost.Clever.

I’ve seen the FB post. It’s on an Iona group, even though it refers to Ventura 

It’s three courses at a total of £14.95, or the courses can be bought separately, so you could have a paid starter for example and the rest of the courses for ‘free’

Theres a dressed lobster claw starter (3.95 individually), dry aged beef for main (£10.95) and dessert a chocolate tart (2.95) 

It doesn’t say what evenings this has been available.

For me, if I’m going to spend extra money on food, I’d rather do it in a different location than the MDR, which is not my favourite location 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve seen the FB post. It’s on an Iona group, even though it refers to Ventura 

It’s three courses at a total of £14.95, or the courses can be bought separately, so you could have a paid starter for example and the rest of the courses for ‘free’

Theres a dressed lobster claw starter (3.95 individually), dry aged beef for main (£10.95) and dessert a chocolate tart (2.95) 

It doesn’t say what evenings this has been available.

For me, if I’m going to spend extra money on food, I’d rather do it in a different location than the MDR, which is not my favourite location 

I had assumed that this was a wind up? If true, the supplements seem quite steep in comparison to the speciality restaurants, where the supplements also allow for the better ambiance & service. I’m also surprised that nobody has flagged it on here if it’s happening. 

We are on Ventura in 5 weeks time, so I will report back. If it’s true I’ll probably try it out for market research purposes (😂) but we are in the minority who generally find the standard MDR meals to be OK. I’m all for extra choice and don’t mind paying more for better food, but my concern would be that this could lead to even less ‘free’ choice in the MDRs, with the better choices each night carrying a supplement. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If true, the supplements seem quite steep in comparison to the speciality restaurants, where the supplements also allow for the better ambiance & service.

If it's true you can bet your bottom dollar these will rise in price pretty soon. If people are prepared to pay for extras in MDR there's little doubt that anything else will rise too.

The extra lobster tail charge on RC etc started a whole chain of events, I'm sure this would too.

• Like 3

I wonder how much of those price supplements is being spent on the ingredients or in the name of profit is it coming out of the daily amount allowed for feeding the passengers, if so there will be cutbacks in quality/choice in other dining venues.

48 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I wonder how much of those price supplements is being spent on the ingredients or in the name of profit is it coming out of the daily amount allowed for feeding the passengers, if so there will be cutbacks in quality/choice in other dining venues.

Your  post doesn't actually make sense?

If P and O create extra income from supplements for desirable specials in MDR on normal dining days (clearly fillet of beef etc is desirable)

They do not have to cut anything back at all alongside it? They just have more income?

They aren't providing the specials complimentary?

Probably 80 to 90 per cent of diners in MDR each night will NOT be paying supplements

But DO NOT underestimate the appetite for passengers on P and O to spend extra on their holidays

The fact even on the big ships with bigger Epicureans and Limelight Clubs than the smaller ships these venues are always sold out very early on throughout the cruises shows that people are always looking to upgrade

If the beef fillet is anywhere near the quality they serve in the limelight club then I wouldnt hesitate to pay extra for it on more than one occasion  in MDR

And before people talk about MDRS not having the same ambiance as Epicurean I would just like to point out how popular GlassHouse and,Keel and Cow are on Iona and Arvia - despite basically being seating in the atrium where you can sit for free throughout your cruise if you wanted to never needing to spend a penny on anything

And certainly never needing to go and dine in there. To this date I'm yet to have a meal in Keel and Cow but I'm  also always noting how great everybody says the  steaks are

Similarly in Beach House or Beach Club (forget the name) that's just like dining in MDR and people pay extra for king prawns, steak and desserts in there

As people (myself included on here) have said. Sitting in the atrium is like being in an airport terminal when it's busy

Sitting in the beach house no different to one of the smaller MDRs 

I predict these supplements are very successful.

It's not necessarily people going for a special meal it's maybe one or two of the guest on a table each night fancying a particular course ahead of the other 

If people will sit in Keel and Cow and pay extra for a nice steak. They will certainly also be prepared to do it in MDR on occasion which IMO is a way calmer and relaxed environment than Keel and Cow.

They just need to ensure the quality of the specials is right. Which I'm sure they will

Nothing to fear here. It's just more options for passengers to choose should they wish. 

Ps this topic really warrants it's own thread for people to see how this develops and report back on the quality of the specials etc

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

I would have thought that the P and O way to get new customers on to the ships is to make the basic price very competitive,  with hopefully a satisfactory level of food, but then to draw in extra income to help with profits from those who want to and can afford the extra restaurant charges and supplementary dishes , which I  think many of the younger element they want to attract will take advantage of.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I would have thought that the P and O way to get new customers on to the ships is to make the basic price very competitive,  with hopefully a satisfactory level of food, but then to draw in extra income to help with profits from those who want to and can afford the extra restaurant charges and supplementary dishes , which I  think many of the younger element they want to attract will take advantage of.  

And at the same time the quality of food served in MDRs on P and O will surpass or at least match that served on the cruise lines where people claim MDR dining is so much better

The extra quality will be there. People aren't forced to both have every course. I actually envisage my wife and I paying for one set of meals at 14.95 for example and pick and mixing who has each course. We already share and try each other's desserts as it is. 

Or just cherry picking the courses that appeal

We do that all the time on other set menus away from cruising in restaurants some times one of dining off the a la carte and one off the set menu

In fact it's very rare at all (thinking about it) that one of us doesn't pay extra for at least one course on a set menu (that has a supplement)

This is just very normal stuff

Do Princess and Celebrity and Saga etc serve Fillet steak with truffled potatoes (cooked to your liking) on normal MDR nights?

If not why not?

59 minutes ago, lincslady said:

They do but the food levels are all over the place. Just read some of the posts on here with some Ships good food quality & others poor.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

They do but the food levels are all over the place. Just read some of the posts on here with some Ships good food quality & others poor.

TBH  that has always been the case, the quality of food preparation varies with the ships head chef. The very best chefs will oversee all aspects of the preparation, and ensure its presentation is consistently high.

• Like 1

Celebrity serve steak in MDR,,,,either Flank steak or NY Strip steak.

If you want the best of steaks Filet Mignon you pay for it.

Ive had some poor steaks on both P&O and Celebrity,,,,P&O being the only one I have sent it back.

What Celebrity do well is serve steak in the buffet,,cooked to order whilst there.Steak,Lamb chops and Fish to order.

Do P&O do that? But then again I expect no less on Celebrity that’s why I pay more to cruise with them.

Similarly that’s why I don’t expect P&O to match them.

I eat to live not live to eat,,,,,,but because a cruise is cheap I don’t expect cheap food like Steak Pie & Mash.

Although on Silhouette in May they did a lovely Irish Stew,,,,I asked for seconds.😏👌

IMG_2531.thumb.png.c57cf6714219c32a24cea10f4d1181ed.png

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Your  post doesn't actually make sense?

If P and O create extra income from supplements for desirable specials in MDR on normal dining days (clearly fillet of beef etc is desirable)

They do not have to cut anything back at all alongside it? They just have more income?

They aren't providing the specials complimentary?

Probably 80 to 90 per cent of diners in MDR each night will NOT be paying supplements

But DO NOT underestimate the appetite for passengers on P and O to spend extra on their holidays

The fact even on the big ships with bigger Epicureans and Limelight Clubs than the smaller ships these venues are always sold out very early on throughout the cruises shows that people are always looking to upgrade

If the beef fillet is anywhere near the quality they serve in the limelight club then I wouldnt hesitate to pay extra for it on more than one occasion  in MDR

And before people talk about MDRS not having the same ambiance as Epicurean I would just like to point out how popular GlassHouse and,Keel and Cow are on Iona and Arvia - despite basically being seating in the atrium where you can sit for free throughout your cruise if you wanted to never needing to spend a penny on anything

And certainly never needing to go and dine in there. To this date I'm yet to have a meal in Keel and Cow but I'm  also always noting how great everybody says the  steaks are

Similarly in Beach House or Beach Club (forget the name) that's just like dining in MDR and people pay extra for king prawns, steak and desserts in there

As people (myself included on here) have said. Sitting in the atrium is like being in an airport terminal when it's busy

Sitting in the beach house no different to one of the smaller MDRs 

I predict these supplements are very successful.

It's not necessarily people going for a special meal it's maybe one or two of the guest on a table each night fancying a particular course ahead of the other 

If people will sit in Keel and Cow and pay extra for a nice steak. They will certainly also be prepared to do it in MDR on occasion which IMO is a way calmer and relaxed environment than Keel and Cow.

They just need to ensure the quality of the specials is right. Which I'm sure they will

Nothing to fear here. It's just more options for passengers to choose should they wish. 

Ps this topic really warrants it's own thread for people to see how this develops and report back on the quality of the specials etc

Whatever

7 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Celebrity serve steak in MDR,,,,either Flank steak or NY Strip steak.

If you want the best of steaks Filet Mignon you pay for it.

IMG_2531.thumb.png.c57cf6714219c32a24cea10f4d1181ed.png

Their charge for surf and turf in MDR is more than the upgrade for full meal in Epicurean

Just saying.......

But many will be paying it

And  I would myself when I fancied it

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Their charge for surf and turf in MDR is more than the upgrade for full meal in Epicurean

Just saying.......

But maybe it’s better than Epicurean……..and it is Celebrity.

Just saying.

Some will pay £15 for a Filet Mignon,,,,,some will pay £200 for a piece of Wagu beef.

There is no right or wrong,,,,,,

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Just saying.

Some will pay £15 for a Filet Mignon,,,,,some will pay £200 for a piece of Wagu beef.

There is no right or wrong you are correct 

But here is my observation

If 14.95 pounds for a signature 3 course meal per person in MDR is correct?

That's a very similar price I would expect to pay per person per night in gratuities on RCL, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess

That I don't have to pay on P and O

To allow me a very high end - very high quality MDR meal on P and O should I choose to take that option 

Of course I don't need to take that option every night. I can pick and mix  but it only adds to the choices I have to  elevate my experience on P and O should I wish to

I love having the choices and options myself

And I'm a foodie as are many passengers on cruise holidays

It's what I would expect everywhere I dined with set menus tbh outside of cruising

I hope it's rolled out to Arvia and Iona in due course

It's a very positive move IMO for P and O if its here to stay

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Just saying.

Surf and turf you can get in Beach House on P and O for a fraction of that cost I'm sure?

It's not something I eat  myself - don't like the surf bit!

18 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

I bet the waiters are delighted with this extra complication to the MDR service! Some courses chargeable, some not. They already have to do the drinks! 

If people are already paying extra for drinks (which vast  majority are) and they  are taking orders electronically there's no reason any extra work is needed

Should be able to be done with  one payment at some stage rather than multiple in due course

59 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Just saying.......

Celebrity used to have filet mignon in the MDR as a standard offering on formal nights, and it was delicious.

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Some if us old wrinklies may pay extra as well. RC have " Chops fillet " in the MDR for an extra cost.  Many hotels have extra charge items on the  included menu. Nothing out if the ordinary.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Some if us old wrinklies may oay extra as well. RC have " Chops fillet " in the MDR for an extra cost.  Many hotels have extra charge items on the  included menu. Nothing out if the ordinary.

For sure my wife would like to see a higher level fish or seafood dish available for a supplement each night (but won't always choose it)

I would  like a beef fillet providing its cooked to  order (rare)

And certainly some elevated desserts would be interesting 

You made a very valid point yesterday MB about would people return with same itineraries every year on the bigger ships

In my case there will be a limit to how many times I want to do Norwegian fjords on Iona. And the weather doesn't help with that one

However, Caribbean in winter on Arvia if similar prices persist. 

Thats our winter sun guaranteed holiday for 2 weeks every Feb to look forward to where would happily return every year

We arent doing that for sightseeing. Just nice food, beaches and cocktails and sunshine etc

Cant beat the Caribbean for that in the winter

Will visit lots of other places alongside that each year all being well

Perhaps some  on other cruiselines

But 2 weeks Caribbean on Arvia every year seems a lock in for us

Might even do a month in the future. Although I believe you don't get many favours on price doing back to backs on P and O fly cruises do you?

37 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Some if us old wrinklies may pay extra as well. 

I like those sqare pizza's, not sure why they are more expensive especially take away as they fit the box better. Funny things pizza's they make them square, they make them round then some cut them into triangles and eat them with their fingers, while others eat them with knives and forks.

Maybe next time I get a square one I will try and cut it into triangles, that could be quite entertaining on an aeroplane using a plastic knife on the small pull out tray, especially if the person in front has reclined their seat. Not that happens to me now as I always take a couple of V!agra before I fly, that stops the bu&&ers reclining the seat in front.

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last time we flew to Barbados with Tui

The guy behind me asked me not to recline my seat (after I reclined it)

This is standard seats

So I put it back to normal

What would you guys have done  or said in that  situation?

(I wasn't sure whether to take it further or not at the time)