Returning to P&O

killaypirate

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I did say presumably for the ones I had not cruised on!

I understand that Emerald did go downhill badly before its last dry dock, however Sky Princess in July was quite a few notches up on our Iona MDR experience in February.

Poor service, poor food and very poor availability of drinks from the minute we got on the ship and there is no excuse and cannot be blamed on needing a dry dock. When you have purchased a drinks package and after asking for 3-4 drinks which were not available and then being asked by the waiter "would sir like a glass of water" is not good.

10 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Looking back to our first cruise on Oceana in 2010 the menus were amazing and we had silver service so meals were not just plated. Your cheese course was from a trolley alongside an after drink aperitif.  It was more like courses every evening. 

P&O have never as long as I have never served silver service in the true meaning since we started cruising with them in 2000. It was just a poor imitation and serving plates with meat/fish on and then going round serving vegetables off serving dishes is not silver service. If you were on a table of 6/8 by the time everyone had been served if you had manners and waited before you started if you were served first your vegetables were soon cold. IMO moving to plated service was one of P&Os better moves.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Comment is free but facts are sacred.

My Iona cruise in February the food and service was appalling,,,,are you saying your truth is better than mine.

No but I'm accused of being a cheerleader?

I wasn't making my facts up. Don't think Dai was either nor Melbourne.

So Jeanie I have to believe either you got unlucky or put yourself in some bad places all cruise?

As we are all dining from the same menus?

When you say food and service was appalling?

Does that mean you thought the service in the MDRs was appalling  as well as the food ?

Or are you still referring to service in the bars?

As in the MDRS  I believe the staff make a huge effort to serve us well?

And by and large succeed?

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Not comparable to normal MDR we are discussing then

The other menus are though.  As most of this food discussion revolves around a steak pie appearing on current menus I note that we have a Traditional British offering every day on these menus and they include such items as Lancashire hotpot, Welsh rarebit with bacon, fish goujons,  macaroni with cheese etc.  I don't doubt the steak pie and suet pudding offerings are following this tradition and are a bonus for P&O that the ingredients are cheaper into the bargain. 

Looking at those old menus they're extremely heavy in red meat such as sirloin etc.  With the newer cruiser being more health conscious as evidenced by Green & Co being tried out it makes sense to make these options less often, again a win on cost.

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

P&O have never as long as I have never served silver service in the true meaning since we started cruising with them in 2000. It was just a poor imitation and serving plates with meat/fish on and then going round serving vegetables off serving dishes is not silver service. If you were on a table of 6/8 by the time everyone had been served if you had manners and waited before you started if you were served first your vegetables were soon cold. IMO moving to plated service was one of P&Os better moves.

Yes what you describe above is a totally inefficient and outdated way of serving food at a time when restaurant and galley facilities were not a patch on what we have now

I am a member of a Rotary Club. We are served our meals fully plated. Sometimes just waiting for everyone on the table to get a fully plated meal before you start eating means other meals get  cold so we all encourage people to start without us etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The other menus are though.  As most of this food discussion revolves around a steak pie appearing on current menus I note that we have a Traditional British offering every day on these menus and they include such items as Lancashire hotpot, Welsh rarebit with bacon, fish goujons,  macaroni with cheese etc.  I don't doubt the steak pie and suet pudding offerings are following this tradition and are a bonus for P&O that the ingredients are cheaper into the bargain. 

Looking at those old menus they're extremely heavy in red meat such as sirloin etc.  With the newer cruiser being more health conscious as evidenced by Green & Co being tried out it makes sense to make these options less often, again a win on cost.

The  other standard MDR menus didn't  noticeably stand out as being a wider choice to me tbh

Not a lot different 

And some very basic courses on there as well tbh

Egg mayonnaise? For example

Spanish oranges ?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

The  other standard MDR menus didn't  noticeably stand out as being a wider choice to me tbh

Not a lot different 

And some very basic starter on there as well tbh

Egg mayonnaise? For example

Spanish oranges ?

I would agree.  As someone who used to move around cruise lines every year I was always aware the P&O ones were less inventive.  American lines also go very much down their traditional route, ie sirloin, burgers, lobster, shrimp etc.  I always put it down to what the British everyday food offering is, unlike Americans not many sit down every day and eat a lobster or ribeye for dinner.  Therefore since the second world war certain items have been viewed as "high end" dining when they appear on a menu.  Of course life has moved on, availability of things like smoked salmon, high end beef etc are now more or less everyday if we want them

Interestingly when visiting high end restaurants in Palm Beach and LA where steak and lobster are two a penny, I find lots of offerings of things like shepherd's pie and liver and bacon.  At the end of the day menus are changing in the two main economies for cruising.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I saw one of the Great British recommendations on the old MDRs for main course as

Macaroni and Cheese?

Is that really a traditional Great British dish?

Never realised

And does anyone really choose that as a go to main course?

I would!  I choose the pasta and salad options 8 times out of ten.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I would agree.  As someone who used to move around cruise lines every year I was always aware the P&O ones were less inventive.  American lines also go very much down their traditional route, ie sirloin, burgers, lobster, shrimp etc.  I always put it down to what the British everyday food offering is, unlike Americans not many sit down every day and eat a lobster or ribeye for dinner.  Therefore since the second world war certain items have been viewed as "high end" dining when they appear on a menu.  Of course life has moved on, availability of things like smoked salmon, high end beef etc are now more or less everyday if we want them

Interestingly when visiting high end restaurants in Palm Beach and LA where steak and lobster are two a penny, I find lots of offerings of things like shepherd's pie and liver and bacon.  At the end of the day menus are changing in the two main economies for cruising.

Glad it's not just me then

When I saw that Captains welcome menu I assumed it was the first night of MDR and hence wouldn't have been a formal night

And as such thinking that was a standard MDR menu then I was wowed by the offering. As I immediately replied.

Once you know it's a formal night then its not so wow after all. Still good though. But expected to be good.

I think people are looking back with rose tinted spectacles about P and O MDR menus choice declining tbh

And imagine the comments on here had Macaroni Cheese been the recommended main course on Arvia or Iona this year

Then again I shouldn't speak too soon I guess!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I wish people would stop using steak and kidney pie / pudding as an example of how bad the menus have become. Made well, it can be a wonderful thing. Beautiful food can be made out of cheap ingredients, something we should be celebrating and not sneering at.
Back in the day, when the late Gary Rhodes had a fine dining restaurant on Arcadia, Steak and Kidney pie was on the menu. When served to me, it was a piece of fillet steak and a small kidney pie. Although it was extremely good, I did have an initial sense of disappointment that it was not the real thing. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

No but I'm accused of being a cheerleader?Thats not the same as saying yours is the truth,,that implies others are lying.

I wasn't making my facts up. Don't think Dai was either nor Melbourne.

Neither were lots of those who disagree with you or Dai.

So Jeanie I have to believe either you got unlucky or put yourself in some bad places all cruise?

Believe what you like,,,,the bad place was the cruise.

As we are all dining from the same menus?

When you say food and service was appalling?

Does that mean you thought the service in the MDRs was appalling  as well as the food ?Yes.

Or are you still referring to service in the bars?Both.

As in the MDRS  I believe the staff make a huge effort to serve us well?

They did make an effort,unfortunately due to short staffing and lack of training this effort failed.

First formal night gave pager at 18:30 sat down T 21:30 after near riot with others in same mood,,,things went bad to worse,,,after walking out without desert at 22:45  for the only time in my cruising life I complained to the Maitre D,,,,is answer was,,,give me names (servers),,,I read out his name badge,,,,that’s me he said,,exactly I said,,,,the buck stops with you.

And by and large succeed?Not on my cruise.

Hi

See above..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I wish people would stop using steak and kidney pie / pudding as an example of how bad the menus have become. Made well, it can be a wonderful thing. Beautiful food can be made out of cheap ingredients, something we should be celebrating and not sneering at.
Back in the day, when the late Gary Rhodes had a fine dining restaurant on Arcadia, Steak and Kidney pie was on the menu. When served to me, it was a piece of fillet steak and a small kidney pie. Although it was extremely good, I did have an initial sense of disappointment that it was not the real thing. 

Totally agree.  Very rarely do we eat out, however yesterday we did because today is my birthday.  Despite lots of other offerings both my husband and I went for the home made pie option, him traditional steak and ale and myself chicken and chorizo.  Both served with mash (well they called it creamed potatoes) a selection of root veg and cabbage.  

As you say a good pie is a wonderful thing.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Glad it's not just me then

When I saw that Captains welcome menu I assumed it was the first night of MDR and hence wouldn't have been a formal night

And as such thinking that was a standard MDR menu then I was wowed by the offering. As I immediately replied.

Once you know it's a formal night then its not so wow after all. Still good though. But expected to be good.

I think people are looking back with rose tinted spectacles about P and O MDR menus choice declining tbh

And imagine the comments on here had Macaroni Cheese been the recommended main course on Arvia or Iona this year

Then again I shouldn't speak too soon I guess!!

The Captains welcome onboard dinner was the first formal night, which was the second night onboard. 

If you look at all the menus, you will see that there used to be more choice. Even the descriptions of the dishes seem more enticing.

Yes they would add a British/traditional classic and a grill dish as an added addition to the menu, and you could always ask your waiter for the lighter/alternative options (this was before the always available were added to the menus, which now make up quite a few of the MDR options). I know on one night my sister asked if she could have a different starter, the waiter went through a list of things he would happily get her - melon, prawn cocktail etc...  

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Totally agree.  Very rarely do we eat out, however yesterday we did because today is my birthday.  Despite lots of other offerings both my husband and I went for the home made pie option, him traditional steak and ale and myself chicken and chorizo.  Both served with mash (well they called it creamed potatoes) a selection of root veg and cabbage.  

As you say a good pie is a wonderful thing.

Happy Birthday Megabear! Hope you have a wonderful day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

The Captains welcome onboard dinner was the first formal night, which was the second night onboard. 

If you look at all the menus, you will see that there used to be more choice. Even the descriptions of the dishes seem more enticing.

Yes they would add a British/traditional classic and a grill dish as an added addition to the menu, and you could always ask your waiter for the lighter/alternative options (this was before the always available were added to the menus, which now make up quite a few of the MDR options). I know on one night my sister asked if she could have a different starter, the waiter went through a list of things he would happily get her - melon, prawn cocktail etc...  

Really interesting point about descriptions making a difference

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Really interesting point about descriptions making a difference

Something else very noticeable as well as the descriptions is the actual presentation of the food. If you go back through some of the live blogs on the forum you will see what I mean.

The food used to come out presented very well, it looked good on the plate - again enticing. Whereas now there seems to be huge inconsistencies and some of the photos shock me that the food has actually left the kitchen plated in that way. I understand that there is huge demand on the kitchens, but to me presentation is something that should never be compromised.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Yes what you describe above is a totally inefficient and outdated way of serving food at a time when restaurant and galley facilities were not a patch on what we have now

I am a member of a Rotary Club. We are served our meals fully plated. Sometimes just waiting for everyone on the table to get a fully plated meal before you start eating means other meals get  cold so we all encourage people to start without us etc

Does the Rotary club have a revolving chairman ?. Asking for my friend Dougal.🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

And you faced similar bad food and bad service every night as well as the first formal night Jeannie?

Hi

No,,,after x3 awful meals in the MDR we had Fish & Chips in the Quays or the (actually better food)in the buffet.

In the last 18 months I have been on Britannia which was hands down better than my Iona cruise this year in both food and service.

Twice on FO Boudicca from Liverpool,,,,the best MDR food I had in those 18 months and service second to none.

Twice on Celebrity Silhouette where P&O could take lessons in Service and food

The best buffet restaurants at sea.

Im on Marella Voyager in a couple of weeks,I’ve heard good things about it’s food and service…..I’ll let you know the result,,,,,,but I won’t be swayed by any blind loyalty to a cruise line……..

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I saw one of the Great British recommendations on the old MDRs for main course as

Macaroni and Cheese?

Is that really a traditional Great British dish?

Never realised

And does anyone really choose that as a go to main course?

In many parts of the UK, Macaroni cheese pie is traditional.

• Like 1