Which area to stay in NOLA

chloes_mom

Staying a day after our cruise. I can’t decide which area is best to stay in-

1. Close to port so cab ride won’t be much. Then take streetcar for sightseeing 

2. in between port & French quarter

3. In French quarter. Cab from port may be more expensive but more convenient to sights and restaurants. 

also will have luggage so need to be able to have a hotel that will store luggage for us

Edited by chloes_mom

I'm staying at the Hilton Riverside after my cruise at the end of October. It is supposed to be walkable from the port via the indoor Riverside Mall. I can update after my cruise but it appears to have a good location to the port, French Quarter, Bourbon Street and the other sites that is all within a reasonable walking distance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, johnboy036 said:

I'm staying at the Hilton Riverside after my cruise at the end of October. It is supposed to be walkable from the port via the indoor Riverside Mall. I can update after my cruise but it appears to have a good location to the port, French Quarter, Bourbon Street and the other sites that is all within a reasonable walking distance.

I have that booked for the night before our cruise. I have read that it's a good place to stay for getting on the ship (within walking distance). We get in the evening before, so won't be doing too much sightseeing. But I wanted something centrally located to sightseeing for after, since we'll have the whole day. Or at least near a streetcar stop. But please let me know what you think when you get back!

19 hours ago, johnboy036 said:

We stayed at the Riverside in March.  It is walkable.  Cab fare was IIRC, $20.

On 9/18/2023 at 6:46 PM, chloes_mom said:

Staying a day after our cruise. I can’t decide which area is best to stay in-

1. Close to port so cab ride won’t be much. Then take streetcar for sightseeing 

2. in between port & French quarter

3. In French quarter. Cab from port may be more expensive but more convenient to sights and restaurants. 

also will have luggage so need to be able to have a hotel that will store luggage for us

If it were me and it's after the cruise I would probably just uber/lyft to a french quarter area hotel. But if you want to avoid that I would probably go for Hilton Riverside where you could take the riverfront streetcar. But really you can probably get a French Quarter hotel and pay for the uber cheaper than the room at Hilton Riverside.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

If it were me and it's after the cruise I would probably just uber/lyft to a french quarter area hotel. But if you want to avoid that I would probably go for Hilton Riverside where you could take the riverfront streetcar. But really you can probably get a French Quarter hotel and pay for the uber cheaper than the room at Hilton Riverside.

Yes, but  you can get the charbroiled oysters at the riverside.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2023 at 1:37 PM, Saint Greg said:

We’re staying at the Hilton riverside before the cruise this Saturday night but they’re calling for possible flooding. Is that going to interfere with us walking to the Norwegian port?

36 minutes ago, chloes_mom said:

We’re staying at the Hilton riverside before the cruise this Saturday night but they’re calling for possible flooding. Is that going to interfere with us walking to the Norwegian port?

Not at all. You walk through the mall. To the right of the front desk is a small escalator that takes you to an indoor bridge that takes you over the tracks...and to building 2 and 3. From there there's an escalator going down. Once down the mall entrance is to your right.

Walk through the mall. Get to the food court. You'll see the ship outside. Now I've never cruised NCL out of there before. But I know right there in the food court is an elevator that takes you down to the port. But also outside of the food court is a ramp to the ship. I don't know how they handle that if the lower area is flooded. But either way you should be able to get down there warm and dry by walking the mall. 

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Not at all. You walk through the mall. To the right of the front desk is a small escalator that takes you to an indoor bridge that takes you over the tracks...and to building 2 and 3. From there there's an escalator going down. Once down the mall entrance is to your right.

Walk through the mall. Get to the food court. You'll see the ship outside. Now I've never cruised NCL out of there before. But I know right there in the food court is an elevator that takes you down to the port. But also outside of the food court is a ramp to the ship. I don't know how they handle that if the lower area is flooded. But either way you should be able to get down there warm and dry by walking the mall. 

Awesome! Thank you so much!!