Cagney's steaks in the MDR

IAcruising

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

the dining experience at cagney’s itself has become hit or miss.

If you have read my rants, yes,,, the quality of service at Cagney's has been in a downward spiral across the fleet since pre-pandemic and it has not improved. I think that it just comes down to the ratio of waiters to restaurant guests. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

@BirdTravels posted the MDR menus on the 2023 updated menu thread. Here's a snippet from Bird's post showing the Cagney's menu choices.

image.png.194d2462a985e4a1968c54f4ef0bbff3.png

I guess what is also relevant is the fact that you can get a free NY Strip steak in the MDR any night. Not a very good steak... but neither are those served in Cagney's

image.thumb.png.42d56c6457733020b0af8bb8a1a63203.png

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

I guess what is also relevant is the fact that you can get a free NY Strip steak in the MDR any night. Not a very good steak... but neither are those served in Cagney's

So, out with-it Bird! 😄  Is the Cagney's 8 oz. filet worth getting for a very reasonable $15 in the MDR? Curious minds need to know!

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I think that's the million dollar question..would NCL ever be so bold as to remove the Grilled NY strip from the Classic Entree selection ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'd rather they offer Cagney's 7 Layer Cake in the mdr's instead!

That I'd pay for.

My family has grown tired of Cagney's and it's slightly above average food, but we love the 7 layer cake.

Has anyone just gone to Cagney's for dessert?

That would be of interest to us. Lmao!!

I've never been a big dessert guy, and I'm diabetic so I really watch the sugar intake.  I got the 7 layer cake on my last cruise since a dessert came with the meal figuring I'd just take a bite.  WOW!!!!  That was some good cake.  I took it back to my cabin, got some ice cream from the buffet the next day to go with it, and it was my lunch :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There have been no comments on this point, so perhaps it's not true, but I would have expected the MDR strip steak to be of lower quality than the one in Cagney's. The title of the cut does not always meet one's expectations.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IAcruising said:

So, out with-it Bird! 😄  Is the Cagney's 8 oz. filet worth getting for a very reasonable $15 in the MDR? Curious minds need to know!

FWIW, The Bird had a restaurant's Executive Souse Chef grill a Cagney's filet and add it to our eggs benedict on our cruise last week. I would definitely use some of my non-refundable OBC for a $15 kicker to get that steak over a complimentary NY Strip. 

image.png.79e142dc748131ceb1aa6d9d62361b95.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UKstages said:

most likely. but there are many reports of really good "free" steaks in the MDR and lots or reports of badly cooked steaks at cagney"s. in my opinion, a really properly cooked lower grade steak can be far more enjoyable than a badly mangled or improperly cooked higher grade steak served cold.

So,,, When there are those "which is your favorite restaurants" threads, I always say that Cagney's has dropped near the bottom of our list (just above Q). The food quality and service has been on a steady decline since well before the pandemic across the fleet. 

It's summer time and we grill a lot. This is not the NY Strip that would come off my my grill..... But is the $39 steak we were served in Cagney's in May on the Escape. Most everything around the center was inedible. 

image.png.3d704261e4ea31cfec2a944a4246d9b7.png

But,,, we had some lovely desserts. "You are not allowed to take your desserts out of the restaurant"... but I will put both on a take out plate, place it on your table, and turn my back while you "eat" them... have a great evening. 

image.png.6b4ced08139a1017a808624ff9b995b9.png

Edited by BirdTravels

specialty restaurants are on the decline, for sure... but it's different on every ship. one has a great cagney's and a lousy moderno. on another ship, moderno is remarkable and cagney's sucks. los lobos has always been a favorite of mine, but on the prima it is truly outstanding.

if i'm doing a ten day or longer cruise, or if i'm doing a B2B, i'll visit cagney's at least once. most times lately, after having dined, i regret it. it's not that it's atrocious, it's just ordinary. 

i'm doing 19 days on the joy next month and i think i booked cagney's just once. my recollection is that cagney's on the joy was pretty good. but if you're in the haven (i'm not next month, i'm in a  club balcony), i find i can get my fill of filet mignon and lobster in the haven restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I would definitely use some of my non-refundable OBC for a $15 kicker to get that steak over a complimentary NY Strip. 

That is all Mrs. IA needs to know. She loves a filet but will not eat any other steak (too much "fat", guess). So, she would love to get a decent filet without having to go to Cagney's. She could get one at Le Bistro, but there are too many other options she doesn't want to give up.

On a side note, it has always amazed me how she hasn't mastered a knife to cut around the "fat". A mystery of the universe, I guess. 😆

• Haha 1

My wife had the upcharge ribeye once on the Prima in April. It was not worth it as it was tough and gristle and she left most on the plate. Unfortunately,  this mirrors our last Cagney's experience,  so just not thrilled with stuff from there (yet meat from other specialty restaurants is fine).

We had a very positive experience at Cagney's last month on the Jewel.  I had the filet and my husband had the ribeye and we were both very happy with our selection.   And we were allowed to take our delicious seven layer cake back to our cabin!   We have not dined at Cagney's in years and were very happy we decided to give it another try.   We will give it a go again in February on the Encore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 12:03 PM, Simes123 said:

They have and add Foie Gras to it to justify the upcharge - which is a highly questionable decision given the process and that doesn’t really add to it.  

The last time we ate in Le Bistro I ordered the filet and was told there would be a $10 up-charge not for the steak itself but for the addition of the slice of foie gras.  I like foie gras but, IMO, it's just french for "liverwurst".  I declined to pay $10 for a slice of liverwurst but was still able to order the filet without an up-charge. 

• Like 1

I have never heard of not being "allowed" (really, what the heck?) to take dessert back to your cabin.  I do it every single time we eat in a specialty restaurant since I'm always too full to eat it.  The only desserts I eat onboard are the ones from the specialty restaurants so I do want them but want them for later (or breakfast, lol!)

13 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I have never heard of not being "allowed" (really, what the heck?) to take dessert back to your cabin.  I do it every single time we eat in a specialty restaurant since I'm always too full to eat it.  The only desserts I eat onboard are the ones from the specialty restaurants so I do want them but want them for later (or breakfast, lol!)

I have to imagine it's the act of restaurant staff preparing the dessert "to go." I don't think a staff member would jump in your way and refuse to allow you to carry out a plate of yummy sweets. Maybe I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, I hope that means staff are throwing chair hogs belongings overboard too.

it's not just dessert. there is some kind of edict prohibiting staff from allowing guests to take any food out of restaurants. it is rarely enforced. when i couldn't finish my pizza appetizer at onda a couple of months ago, i mentioned that i would like to wrap it up and take it with me and they told me they could not do that. i dunno, maybe they are trying to cut down on the expense of take out containers or retrieving wayward plates and glasses. maybe too many people spill food and break plates in public areas of the ship on their way back to their room. (like the drunk woman i saw at the local taking three plates stacked high with nachos and burgers... she made it about ten feet before losing it all.)

they brought me a cloth napkin and said i could take the pizza on my plate with that napkin over it. i walked out quietly, with my head held high, as if i was not committing the crime of the century, but deep down in the smithy of my soul, i knew i was a rebel... a truly bad boy with a penchant for purloining parmacotto pizza pies.

Edited by UKstages
  • Haha 3

When we were on the Epic this past March, they brought a birthday cake out for my sister -in-law which no one touched.   My sister-in-law asked to have it packed up to bring with us and they said no.   Since my family were staying in the Haven, I then said to the waiter to arrange it with our Butler.    He was clearly annoyed.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I have to imagine it's the act of restaurant staff preparing the dessert "to go." I don't think a staff member would jump in your way and refuse to allow you to carry out a plate of yummy sweets. Maybe I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, I hope that means staff are throwing chair hogs belongings overboard too.

I think you are correct.  I order the dessert and when we leave the restaurant just pick it up, put a napkin over it and take it with me.  It has never occurred to me to ask anyone's permission and nothing was ever said.  I usually have it for breakfast the next morning with my coffee. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:16 AM, hallux said:

Is this new?  I sailed on the Escape in March and did not see this option.

Was on Escape this past week and had the Cagney's upgrade of 3-4 steak choices at all MDR options.