Saguenay

artvlay

Looking forward to going up the Fjord. What recommendations for sitting on ship as it moves along. Which side port or starboard, etc. I guess we need to do it in morning as by the time the ship leaves in the late afternoon it will be getting dark.

On 9/19/2023 at 1:33 PM, artvlay said:

What recommendations for sitting on ship as it moves along. Which side port or starboard, etc.

The Notre-Dame-du-Saguenay is on the port side of the vessel as it sails up the fjord to La Baie. At the statue every cruise vessel plays the Ave Maria. But it really does not matter than much, for if you are on deck while sailing up the fjord, you can easily go from one side of the vessel to the other. The side matters only if you're going to remain locked up in your stateroom with a window or balcony.

6 hours ago, GTJ said:

The Notre-Dame-du-Saguenay is on the port side of the vessel as it sails up the fjord to La Baie. At the statue every cruise vessel plays the Ave Maria. But it really does not matter than much, for if you are on deck while sailing up the fjord, you can easily go from one side of the vessel to the other. The side matters only if you're going to remain locked up in your stateroom with a window or balcony.

Thanks, interesting information.

We were just there last week.   I would say either side, it does not matter.   Saguenay was our favorite stop (other than Quebec City which was our embarkation point).    The sail into the fjord is not quite as majestic as in Norway (Flam as example) but it is close.   For a North American fjord it is pretty impressive.    We took the ships tour to the national park and hiked up the fjord, it was our favorite excursion.

• Like 1

I've read these posts with interest, thanks, as we will be there on October 3rd.

How long is the transit time from the entrance of the fjord until the ship is docked?

We dock at 8AM, so I'm wondering how early this night owl will need to rise to see it. On the other hand, we leave at 5PM and sunset is not until 6:20PM, so I might instead be able to sit on deck, drink in hand, as we leave instead.

1 hour ago, MJfromCA said:

I've read these posts with interest, thanks, as we will be there on October 3rd.

How long is the transit time from the entrance of the fjord until the ship is docked?

We dock at 8AM, so I'm wondering how early this night owl will need to rise to see it. On the other hand, we leave at 5PM and sunset is not until 6:20PM, so I might instead be able to sit on deck, drink in hand, as we leave instead.

Plan on a couple hours in the fjord.  Roughly 50 miles, will depend on ship speed. You will be dealing with darkness in both directions.   I would get up at sunrise at 6:45, you will already be in the fjord somewhere. 

Note that quebec city is not that far away.   If you are at QC the day before, then the ship has time to kill so they have a lot of options on ship speed.  They could be already near the dock by sunrise but hopefully they don't do that and allow some time for daylight sail in for the benefit of the passengers. 

4 hours ago, artvlay said:

If we decide not to do any excursion and just take a walk can you describe what the town is like where the ship docks. Is it a quaint town with shops, restaurants and other sites?

The town is quite nice. We were welcomed with costumed locals with displays and activities and food samples. There is a board walk both ways from the port. It was nice to walk on The sand when the tide was

out and watch it disappear when the tide came

in. There is a pretty church. We found a small artisan market near the church

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, artvlay said:

Thanks for all the great information. Cruise Critic provides us with the source of useful information 

We did enjoy walking and strolling the town off the pier. Being on the QM2, we had to tender to the pier. We had street performers at the pier and enjoyed the festival atmosphere they offered us. We even walked a bit into town and found like a market - green market of locals with many different products.

My DW stopped into a local shop of cloth product and brought so gift back home. Also we stop at a shop that made interestly home made soaps and lotions we enjoyed also bring home. Better than those you would buy in a drug store or supermarket.