Insurance question: has anyone used Emergency Assistance Plus for medical evacuation insurance?

cruiseej

I've seen number of people say that they use MedJet for medical evacuation and medical assistance services when traveling. It's not the regular and expensive trip cancellation or trip interruption insurance, just medical insurance for a modest annual fee. Global Rescue is another such service. I recently received a mailing from AAA (American Automobile Association) offering what appears to be similar services from Emergency Assistance Plus. The AAA member price is $179 per year for family coverage. I'm wondering if anyone here has used or does use EA+ — or if you have a reason for preferring one of the other medical evacuation companies? Thanks!

the prices are cheep for a reason. When things go wrong and you end up in a remote hospital you will not be calling the shoots and getting your loved one home. It will only happen if the treating doctor has determined they can not receive proper treatment at their location. After that they will check with their staff to determined if you would receive better treatment at your home hospital. This could take many days before they get to point of suggesting you get airlifted home. Most likely it will only be a commercial airline with a nurse accompanying you home. 

We've worked with The TripInsurance Store - have been happy dealing with them, fortunately haven't had to make a claim!  Tons of good information on their website, if you just want to educate yourself about the field of going-abroad trip insurance, including but not limited to get you back home if you end up in hospital.  They broker policies from a handful of major carriers - I like the idea that if you need to call at 3am from Timbuktu, someone will answer the phone - and help you get done what is needed.  If we were going to do more out of country travel, I'd consider the annual coverage option - sounds like a good idea, particularly if you wanted to do something spur of the moment.  

10 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

the prices are cheep for a reason. When things go wrong and you end up in a remote hospital you will not be calling the shoots and getting your loved one home. It will only happen if the treating doctor has determined they can not receive proper treatment at their location. After that they will check with their staff to determined if you would receive better treatment at your home hospital. This could take many days before they get to point of suggesting you get airlifted home. Most likely it will only be a commercial airline with a nurse accompanying you home. 

Im curious which of these emergency evacuation insurance companies you are referring to - I don’t know but as I understand it with the std travel insurance emergency evac they take you to the closest location.  I had thought with medjet or the others they will not take you off a ship but will fly you home or to a hospital of your choice. So regular travel insurance takes you off the ship and a medjet policy will take you where you want to go?  It’s a question!  If you can clarify that would be much appreciated!  Thank you

During an emergency, you are taken to the closest public or private (If your paying cash) hospital that can take care of your injury. Once there you are evaluated and repaired. If that hospital is unable to fix you, you are sent to the next closest one. If non in the area are capable of repairs, then and only then will Medjet be dispatched. You do not have control of when Medjet will be dispatched. Also bring enough money to pay the hospital or Medjet can not take you home. You will be reimbursed my your travel or home insurance once you get home. Only telling you what actually happened on two occasions.

7 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

During an emergency, you are taken to the closest public or private (If your paying cash) hospital that can take care of your injury. Once there you are evaluated and repaired. If that hospital is unable to fix you, you are sent to the next closest one. If non in the area are capable of repairs, then and only then will Medjet be dispatched. You do not have control of when Medjet will be dispatched. Also bring enough money to pay the hospital or Medjet can not take you home.

My understanding is that if you are hospitalized more than 150 miles from home Medjet will arrange transport to your local area hospital as long as the hospital can accommodate you. I live in NH and if I am hospitalized in Florida Medjet will transport me to my Boston area of choice: 

As a MedjetAssist Member, if you become hospitalized 150 miles or more from your primary residence, Medjet will arrange medical transportation to a home-country hospital of your choice for inpatient care. This membership is for residents of the U.S., Canada or Mexico, up to age 75, planning international trips less than 90 consecutive days at a time, and unlimited domestic travel. RULES and REGULATIONS

The R&R spell out the details.

Edited by billc23

15 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

During an emergency, you are taken to the closest public or private (If your paying cash) hospital that can take care of your injury. Once there you are evaluated and repaired. If that hospital is unable to fix you, you are sent to the next closest one. If non in the area are capable of repairs, then and only then will Medjet be dispatched. You do not have control of when Medjet will be dispatched. Also bring enough money to pay the hospital or Medjet can not take you home. You will be reimbursed my your travel or home insurance once you get home. Only telling you what actually happened on two occasions.

8 hours ago, billc23 said:

My understanding is that if you are hospitalized more than 150 miles from home Medjet will arrange transport to your local area hospital as long as the hospital can accommodate you. I live in NH and if I am hospitalized in Florida Medjet will transport me to my Boston area of choice: 

As a MedjetAssist Member, if you become hospitalized 150 miles or more from your primary residence, Medjet will arrange medical transportation to a home-country hospital of your choice for inpatient care. This membership is for residents of the U.S., Canada or Mexico, up to age 75, planning international trips less than 90 consecutive days at a time, and unlimited domestic travel. RULES and REGULATIONS

The R&R spell out the details.

Billc23 is correct here:  

Medjet will move you to a hospital at home even if the local hospital that has stabilized you IS capable of continuing to treat you. Medjet decisions are not based on the hospital being unable to treat you ("medical necessity"). That's where it differs from travel insurance medevac, which gets you to the nearest "capable" hospital, but will not move you home unless you can prove that it's "medically necessary" (good luck with that). You choose the hospital in your home country, which does not necessarily have to be in your hometown. 

Carefree is correct here:

"You don't have control over when Medjet dispatches a team". They do it as soon as possible, but that depends on you reaching stability for being transported (the jets are mobile ICU's but not surgery capable...). A bed needs to be pre-secured at the receiving hospital (ie they will not just dump you off at an ER entrance), and the closest available crew reaching your destination needs to be located, and get to you.

Also correct here:

Medjet doesn't cover hospital bills, only the cost of getting you moved home. Insurance usually does require you pay up front then file for reimbursement. Medjet does not ~ if you are a member, and transported, you pay nothing out-of-pocket and won't see a bill afterwards. They pay all transport costs (ground transfers, crew, aircraft, fuel, crew visas & clearances, etc.) themselves.

RE: EA +, I'd double check their international medevac language for "medical necessity" clauses. You get what you pay for...

Hope this helps!!

I am happy with Medjet except some of my trips are over 90 days and they most likely will not cover them.  The added benefit when visiting friends and family around the US and being transported to a hospital closer to home is great. Emergency hospital stays often involve post op care and it may not be possible to return home after you leave the hospital on your originally planned mode of transport. Have you ever seen the cost of medical (ambulances) transport between states??? It is not just the cost but they help arrange the whole process when one is in distress. I have never used their services but the reviews from those who have are favorable. 

17 hours ago, billc23 said:

I am happy with Medjet except some of my trips are over 90 days and they most likely will not cover them.  The added benefit when visiting friends and family around the US and being transported to a hospital closer to home is great. Emergency hospital stays often involve post op care and it may not be possible to return home after you leave the hospital on your originally planned mode of transport.  

I distinctly remember one business trip I was on in the U.S. The woman in the row behind me kept checking on the man seated next to me, so I offered to switch seats.  It turned out that they were business colleagues in town for a meeting when he became ill and required an emergency appendectomy the previous day. He had checked out against medical advice to get home rather than stay in a hospital away from home and have his wife fly to meet him due to issues finding caretakers for their kids, etc. He was clearly in pain and not doing well on this commercial flight 🫤     

Really highlighted the benefit of Medjet and similar services even for "everyday" types of trips. 

On 9/20/2023 at 4:50 PM, billc23 said:

I am happy with Medjet except some of my trips are over 90 days and they most likely will not cover them.  The added benefit when visiting friends and family around the US and being transported to a hospital closer to home is great. Emergency hospital stays often involve post op care and it may not be possible to return home after you leave the hospital on your originally planned mode of transport. Have you ever seen the cost of medical (ambulances) transport between states??? It is not just the cost but they help arrange the whole process when one is in distress. I have never used their services but the reviews from those who have are favorable. 

Medjet's regular membership is up to 90 days. They have Expat180 and Expat365 for extended trips out-of-country, you'd just need to upgrade.