One Way Air?

lepidoptera

Question about using the bogo air. I am kicking around the idea of an Alaskan cruise next year out of Seward. Then instead of flying back, taking Via Rails’s Canadian route from Vancouver to Toronto. I think I have seen before being able to just use NCL’s air one way. If anyone has done this before, would it be something I would need to do at time of booking? Also how does it affect the quote for flights? If anyone has done the train route before as well, I would love to hear about it. 

32 minutes ago, lepidoptera said:

Question about using the bogo air. I am kicking around the idea of an Alaskan cruise next year out of Seward. Then instead of flying back, taking Via Rails’s Canadian route from Vancouver to Toronto. I think I have seen before being able to just use NCL’s air one way. If anyone has done this before, would it be something I would need to do at time of booking? Also how does it affect the quote for flights? If anyone has done the train route before as well, I would love to hear about it. 

I don't recall any notations about the booking requiring a round-trip fare.

Your BOGO deal should be for whatever you request, R/T or one-way.

However, a quick call to NCL or your TA should give you a quick and accurate confirmation.

I live in Southern California and will be cruising solo from Miami to Los Angeles thru the Panama Canal in December and I was able to book the one-way BOGO to start my trip from LAX to Miami.  I thought it would be easier to just have NCL take care of everything, but have since changed my mind.  The rate I paid for my flight was FAIR, but not 1/2 price.  I also learned that NCL has the option to fly me into Miami OR Fort Lauderdale (their choice).  I actually found flights I wanted on American and Delta that were less one-way than I paid NCL and I would have had the decision making capacity on my flights rather than “taking what I get” when my flight is booked.  

So, can you use the NCL BOGO one-way - yes.  However, I would research your options first so you can decide if the price is worth it.  Had I learned this outside of 120 days I would have cancelled my air, but inside 120 days there is a 50% penalty (even if you’ve not been booked yet).

One more thing I learned by using the NCL website for pricing is that their online web system will most always provide the wrong price for your flight if you try to price it one-way.  I had to call to get an accurate quote and was told “it’s a system problem” that they are aware of.

4 hours ago, InFullertonCA said:

I also learned that NCL has the option to fly me into Miami OR Fort Lauderdale (their choice)

For what it's worth - I'm doing the same cruise but in January, I'm planning to fly into FLL as I have more flight options for my preferred airline.  I'll be able to get to my hotel in Miami for probably less than $50.

Edited by hallux

5 hours ago, InFullertonCA said:

I live in Southern California and will be cruising solo from Miami to Los Angeles thru the Panama Canal in December and I was able to book the one-way BOGO to start my trip from LAX to Miami.  I thought it would be easier to just have NCL take care of everything, but have since changed my mind.  The rate I paid for my flight was FAIR, but not 1/2 price.  I also learned that NCL has the option to fly me into Miami OR Fort Lauderdale (their choice).  I actually found flights I wanted on American and Delta that were less one-way than I paid NCL and I would have had the decision making capacity on my flights rather than “taking what I get” when my flight is booked.  

So, can you use the NCL BOGO one-way - yes.  However, I would research your options first so you can decide if the price is worth it.  Had I learned this outside of 120 days I would have cancelled my air, but inside 120 days there is a 50% penalty (even if you’ve not been booked yet).

One more thing I learned by using the NCL website for pricing is that their online web system will most always provide the wrong price for your flight if you try to price it one-way.  I had to call to get an accurate quote and was told “it’s a system problem” that they are aware of.

You pay half price for the fare to each gateway, so no, you wouldn't simply pay half the fare shown on the website if you're not starting/ending at the same port. 

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

You pay half price for the fare to each gateway, so no, you wouldn't simply pay half the fare shown on the website if you're not starting/ending at the same port. 

Not sure I understand your comment?  

The BOGO offer for a solo traveler is stated as being 50% for the individual (since there is no GO).  And being that I am flying one-way only, it would be 1/2 the one-way fare.

As for the website problem, it kept showing flight costs that where considerably higher than a standard R/T, even though it was one-way.  In my case it was quoting something like $800 for the one-way flight from LA to Miami, but only $400 if I wanted the R/T.  Again, I was told NCL is aware of this issue.

Not trying to argue, just clarifying my post.  Have a great day!

1 hour ago, InFullertonCA said:

Not sure I understand your comment?  

The BOGO offer for a solo traveler is stated as being 50% for the individual (since there is no GO).  And being that I am flying one-way only, it would be 1/2 the one-way fare.

As for the website problem, it kept showing flight costs that where considerably higher than a standard R/T, even though it was one-way.  In my case it was quoting something like $800 for the one-way flight from LA to Miami, but only $400 if I wanted the R/T.  Again, I was told NCL is aware of this issue.

Not trying to argue, just clarifying my post.  Have a great day!

Not sure of the website issue,  I wasn't aware that you could get quotes for one way without calling. To clarify what I was saying is that if you aren't returning to the same port, the price quoted is the cost of 2 one way tickets.  So if you live in the west, the cost to fly to east is usually considerably more than the cost to fly home once the ship docks in in LA for example. So if they are quoting $400 for example, that price is based on say $600 to fly to your cruise, $200 home.  So if you are only going to FL for example, your 1/2 price is $300.