22" Wheelchair question - Viking Ocean cruise

Cali91202

Question:  Is 22" TOTAL width, or only the seat width?  I've been looking at wheelchair/walker combos and see they come in 22" or 24" seat widths, but with the wheels it adds another 3" at the least.   I'm looking at folding dimensions, cases while folded, etc. also.   I'm a first time cruiser accompanying my 94 year old Dad who requires a walker.  Generally he uses just a walker, but I was looking into getting a combination of both so he can walk, or I have the option to push him. Looking at combinations that have more "all terrain" style wheels for dirt and/or cobblestones. 

OPEN for any suggestions, words of advice.  We will be on Viking Saturn's December cruise "Cities of Antiquity & the Holy Land cruise.🙂

Viking has this information listed for on Accessibility..."Please request the appropriate accessibility form for you and your doctor to review, sign and submit to Viking River Cruises. Passengers are requested to advise Viking in writing, at or prior to the time a cruise tour is booked, of any physical, emotional or mental condition which may require professional attention during the cruise tour, including if a passenger requires the use of a wheelchair or other mobility equipment, not to exceed 22” in width."

Much appreciated,

Lisa

A 20 inch or wider seating surface is generally considered a wide wheelchair, cruising or otherwise.

Viking probably means 22 inches total width, including wheels. Many doors are between 22 and 23 inches wide. Anything wider won’t fit through the space.

Often, river cruise boats tie up against each other and passengers must traverse one or two ships between their ship and shore. I am not sure about how they manage passengers using wheelchairs.

3 hours ago, FOPMan said:

A 20 inch or wider seating surface is generally considered a wide wheelchair, cruising or otherwise.

Viking probably means 22 inches total width, including wheels. Many doors are between 22 and 23 inches wide. Anything wider won’t fit through the space.

Often, river cruise boats tie up against each other and passengers must traverse one or two ships between their ship and shore. I am not sure about how they manage passengers using wheelchairs.

The OP is sailing Viking Ocean, not Viking river.  EM