Free At Sea package doesn't apply in Spanish waters

Lisa353

11 minutes ago, Lisa353 said:

So if you are doing a Med cruise which covers Spain, France and Italy because they are all part of the EU, you will be charged for the whole cruise?

I can not confirm with first hand information.

From the article "For voyages that depart from Spanish ports and do not call at any nation outside the European Union, the tax is charged throughout the trip. On other cruises, VAT applies when the vessel is within 12 nautical miles (22km) of the Spanish coast."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Haven't sailed Carnival in many years although we do have a booking on the Mardi Gras coming up.  Have never been charged the extra anywhere on Royal.  Technically Royal Caribbean embarks from New Jersey so maybe that has something to do with it?

You won't be charged on Royal.  They pay the sales tax out of their own pocket and don't pass it through.  Overall, its not normally a big deal but going out of New Orleans can be a pain since it takes so long to get down the Mississippi.  Also on the way back in, you get into NO waters by dinner time so any specialty meals will be charged the extra tax.  

2 hours ago, Lisa353 said:

The whole point of my post is really asking people who have actually cruised from a Spanish port, if the article is correct and you will have this added charge if you get a drink when the ship is in a Spanish port or Spanish waters.

Your title, "Free at Sea package doesn't apply in Spanish waters" is very misleading, since it certainly does apply. The title implies that if you have the drink package you can't use it in Spain. Obviously not true.

Having said that, on our TA last November we had four stops in Spain and all four charged the tax on drinks. We never got any receipts since there is no receipt typically given for drinks. However, the tax/charge showed up on our onboard account for each drink in a Spain port.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Lisa353 said:

I have just read an article that says that when you have the Free at Sea package with NCL, when you are docked at a Spanish port or are in Spanish waters, you must pay 10% VAT on every drink you get.  Is this correct?  The article says it started this year.

Cruise line’s ‘all-inclusive’ drinks package doesn’t apply in Spanish waters (msn.com)

Same as US ports. 

13 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Your title, "Free at Sea package doesn't apply in Spanish waters" is very misleading, since it certainly does apply. The title implies that if you have the drink package you can't use it in Spain. Obviously not true.

Having said that, on our TA last November we had four stops in Spain and all four charged the tax on drinks. We never got any receipts since there is no receipt typically given for drinks. However, the tax/charge showed up on our onboard account for each drink in a Spain port.

I took the title from the article because in the article the title was "Cruise line's all-inclusive drinks package doesn't apply in Spanish waters.  So basically it isn't really free because you will be getting charged VAT.

Just now, Lisa353 said:

I took the title from the article because in the article the title was "Cruise line's all-inclusive drinks package doesn't apply in Spanish waters.  So basically it isn't really free because you will be getting charged VAT.

It was never "free" to begin with. You pay for the package/gratuities up front. Not free at all.

But for the article to say the package "doesn't apply" is categorically false. Again, that implies you can't use the package at all in Spanish waters. Not true.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

It was never "free" to begin with. You pay for the package/gratuities up front. Not free at all.

But for the article to say the package "doesn't apply" is categorically false. Again, that implies you can't use the package at all in Spanish waters. Not true.

Did you read the article?

I never said the actual package is free.  I was saying that if you have the package your drinks are free because they are included as part of the package.

The article has said that it doesn't apply because you will be getting these extra charges on top of the money you have paid for the actual package.  So it's not really a free at sea because there will be extra charges.  When you pay for a drinks package, you don't expect to be then charged extra amounts when you get your drinks on board.

I've posted this before (so don't at me if you're like....ugh here's cruiseny at it again). 

This is a letter that was sent to select folks on my upcoming cruise. I say select, because we did not receive the letter. Our cruise leaves Barcelona, stops in Cartagena, Spain, then we float out to Ponta Delgada, Portugal, Bermuda, and finally New York. 

image.png.54fbae7182d243a7e9ec45bcc4917342.png

Based on numerous responses, in other threads, it appears the VAT will be applied when we're in Barcelona, Spanish waters, and Cartagena. Some have experienced being charged VAT on the entirety of the their cruise when it has stayed in the Med. Others, in the Med (and other places), have not. You won't know until you get on the cruise. It's a NCL feature. 

At least the article you posted does seem to indicate the VAT is only charged while at a Spanish port or in Spanish waters, but it still is somewhat vague: 

image.png.76e1613516f4334498adf77977f6f41b.png

The "or" is what gives me heartburn. 

image.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lisa353 said:

Did you read the article?

I never said the actual package is free.  I was saying that if you have the package your drinks are free because they are included as part of the package.

The article has said that it doesn't apply because you will be getting these extra charges on top of the money you have paid for the actual package.  So it's not really a free at sea because there will be extra charges.  When you pay for a drinks package, you don't expect to be then charged extra amounts when you get your drinks on board.

Just as the package isn't free (the cost is built into the cruise fare), the drinks aren't free either (the cost is built into the package cost), and all NCL is doing is paying the cost of the package on your behalf. They don't pay the overages, they don't pay the gratuity, they don't pay the taxes...you do.

I don't know how you can say "When you pay for a drinks package, you don't expect to be then charged extra amounts when you get your drinks on board." when you've already stated that you comply with the terms of the package and the fact that you are responsible for these taxes is clearly stated in those very terms...not once, but TWICE.

5 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Just as the package isn't free (the cost is built into the cruise fare), the drinks aren't free either (the cost is built into the package cost), and all NCL is doing is paying the cost of the package on your behalf. They don't pay the overages, they don't pay the gratuity, they don't pay the taxes...you do.

I don't know how you can say "When you pay for a drinks package, you don't expect to be then charged extra amounts when you get your drinks on board." when you've already stated that you comply with the terms of the package and the fact that you are responsible for these taxes is clearly stated in those very terms...not once, but TWICE.

The OP is from the UK so she is actually paying for the FAS package as an upgrade.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

The OP is from the UK so she is actually paying for the FAS package as an upgrade.  

Lets try to resist the temptation to go off-topic. Remember, we are discussing an article from MSN.com, not the OPs personal experience (See Post #1).

The terms of the package, as previously noted, state (more than once) that the guest is responsible for things like gratuities and taxes. This applies no matter where you are from and without regard to who paid for the package and/or upgrade.

The OP has asserted that they comply with the package terms. Once that assertion is made, you can't then feign surprise that governmental authorities can levy and collect taxes from you given that this is mentioned specifically in those package terms.

Just now, Liljo22 said:

Thank you!

That's exactly what it is.  I am from the UK so the Free at Sea package is a separate thing we can pay for along with gratuities at the time of booking.  So for us, when we have paid for that package and the gratuities, we don't expect to pay anything else on top of that.     

I read that article today and posted it on here because it had said that VAT charge for drinks when at a Spanish port or in Spanish waters had just come in to force this year.  All I wanted to know was if someone on here had been on a cruise in Spain this year and had been given these charges.  Some people have been very helpful and actually answered the question, while others just want to pull me up on my wording I have used.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lisa353 said:

That's why I was asking the question.  Have you sailed from Barcelona or another Spanish port since this has been enforced?  It would be good to hear from someone that has sailed from a Spanish port this year.

I sailed on Epic in July from Barcelona and was charged VAT on all alcohol drinks throughout the 9day cruise even when in France & Italy, total ‘extra’ bill was about $110 for the both of us.

I take from the article if the sailing starts in Spain you will be charged throughout your journey if it starts elsewhere you will only be charged while in Spanish waters.

Also we was also only charged on alcohol and not and specialty meals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

When we sailed out of Barcelona (closed loop) we were able to redeem our VAT at the airport by submitting receipts.  Not sure if/how this would apply to the VAT added to drinks.  We did some significant shopping in Barcelona and recovered almost all of our VAT.

You can’t reclaim VAT on consumables, I asked while onboard and also once I returned from a recent sailing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cybergremlin said:

I sailed on Epic in July from Barcelona and was charged VAT on all alcohol drinks throughout the 9day cruise even when in France & Italy, total ‘extra’ bill was about $110 for the both of us.

I take from the article if the sailing starts in Spain you will be charged throughout your journey if it starts elsewhere you will only be charged while in Spanish waters.

Thank you.  This was exactly what I was wanting to know.  That what was being said in the article was true or not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cybergremlin said:

Thanks for useful information! Just wondering about the "alcohol" part. Did you have any non-alcoholic drinks that sisn't get charged, or did you just use that wording meaning drinks in general, alcohol or not?

11 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Lets try to resist the temptation to go off-topic. Remember, we are discussing an article from MSN.com, not the OPs personal experience (See Post #1).

The terms of the package, as previously noted, state (more than once) that the guest is responsible for things like gratuities and taxes. This applies no matter where you are from and without regard to who paid for the package and/or upgrade.

The OP has asserted that they comply with the package terms. Once that assertion is made, you can't then feign surprise that governmental authorities can levy and collect taxes from you given that this is mentioned specifically in those package terms.

I am on topic.  Do you even know the T&C for UK customers?  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cybergremlin said:

You can’t reclaim VAT on consumables, I asked while onboard and also once I returned from a recent sailing 

Thought about this too! The items you reclaim VAT for must be taken out of the country. Good luck claiming  that the drinks you've had ARE taken out of the country in your body. 😄 

• Haha 2

I think the answer is "it depends on the day of the week". 

I also sailed on the Epic in July, only originated in Rome, doing the loop via Barcelona.  At that time VAT was charged on all drinks during the entire cruise. It was not charged on the specialty meals.  

Since then, from what I've read is some are being charged, others not.  Now, it could be because the cruise leaves the EU for part of the cruise.  Others reported receiving a $50 credit - we did not.  

At this point you should be charged VAT in Barcelona (nothing new being going on for years), and I have my fingers crossed nowhere else.  

I'll be back on board in December sailing out of Rome doing the TA, and waiting to see how VAT is/isn't applied.

Edited by Girr
Adding info.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Asawi said:

In case anyone is interested. This is from UK/EU T&C

Skärmbild (60).png

I have sailed out of Barcelona 4 times with NCL and have never been charged any VAT on drinks when I've had a drinks package.  The last time I did this was October 2021.  So obviously there has been changes since then.  The last time I sailed with NCL was March last year.  I am just about to go on another NCL cruise in November this year.

I only posted my original post because I read that article about the VAT charges on drinks in Spanish ports and Spanish waters.  All I wanted to know really if it was true and if anyone had experienced it.  I wasn't asking about terms and conditions of packages.  I just wanted a straight forward answer of yes this is true or no it isn't true and then people's experiences of it.

26 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Thanks for useful information! Just wondering about the "alcohol" part. Did you have any non-alcoholic drinks that sisn't get charged, or did you just use that wording meaning drinks in general, alcohol or not?

no charge on soft drinks from the bars/restaurants, I don’t drink Starbucks so can’t confirm if charged from them 

4 minutes ago, Lisa353 said:

I have sailed out of Barcelona 4 times with NCL and have never been charged any VAT on drinks when I've had a drinks package.  The last time I did this was October 2021.  So obviously there has been changes since then.  The last time I sailed with NCL was March last year.  I am just about to go on another NCL cruise in November this year.

This summer has been a totally different experience.  For a short period in Livorno you could only get wine and beer.  Then the VAT issue popped up next.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cybergremlin said:

no charge on soft drinks from the bars/restaurants, I don’t drink Starbucks so can’t confirm if charged from them 

THANK YOU! That's very useful info for me since I don't drink much alcohol. (At least not during daytime in port...)