Well, I waited to get some more experience

Critically Cruising

After a conversation with a lady onboard, she suggested that I wait a while and maybe things might change my view of things.

Went to post a detailed follow-up after more exposure to the Explora way of cruising and found the thread locked.

So here's the quick summary.  Explora is not a luxury line, or even a luxury experience.  Lots of jeans, ragged service, illogical systems and layouts in the ship, poor entertainment and shorex people who are clueless.  OTOH, it is a modern, lavish physical plant - especially if you want to use a jaccuzi at any place in the ship.  If a new ship experience is your standard, here you go.

Guess that's it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

49 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

After a conversation with a lady onboard, she suggested that I wait a while and maybe things might change my view of things.

Went to post a detailed follow-up after more exposure to the Explora way of cruising and found the thread locked.

So here's the quick summary.  Explora is not a luxury line, or even a luxury experience.  Lots of jeans, ragged service, illogical systems and layouts in the ship, poor entertainment and shorex people who are clueless.  OTOH, it is a modern, lavish physical plant - especially if you want to use a jaccuzi at any place in the ship.  If a new ship experience is your standard, here you go.

Guess that's it.

Wait ?? I'm packing a couple pairs of jeans for daytime on the November Caribbean cruise. Are we not supposed to wear jeans ??

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, saminina said:

What did you think of the food being served?  

In general, quite good.  But the meats in Marble were a bit chewy for my American tastes - perhaps because it was Euro beef.  

If you want salads for your lunches, the offerings are either prepared dishes or an incomplete "salad bar" with three salad dressings (including both vinaigarette and basalmic) and few of the usual salad accompaniments.

Have been quite impressed with the grilled lobster tails and shrimp at Marketplace in the evening.  And the foie gras has been superb.

Biggest disappointment is that the "all-day dining gourmet dining" was just a marketing hook.  If you are hungry for something in the afternoon, you are room service or finger food.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, saminina said:

I believe the point is being made that like any MSC cruise.....anything goes for clothing.

Exactly.  Jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, puffer jackets in the evening.  Even in the "specialty" venues.

Not that it has to be black tie, but this is spring-break rather than luxury.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

Exactly.  Jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, puffer jackets in the evening.  Even in the "specialty" venues.

Not that it has to be black tie, but this is spring-break rather than luxury.

Their website reads: 

"We don't have a dress code onboard but we suggest an Elegant Resort Casual style."

Of course people are wearing their comfy togs. Why would this be a surprise???

Any cruise line that can do no more than just "suggest" will be met with exactly what is being worn.

1 minute ago, no1talks said:

Their website reads: 

"We don't have a dress code onboard but we suggest an Elegant Resort Casual style."

Of course people are wearing their comfy togs. Why would this be a surprise???

Any cruise line that can do no more than just "suggest" will be met with exactly what is being worn.

Well. Times are changing. Even on Executive class you can't have infinite luggage allowances anymore for your come and return flights... It's past time certain CC members would to understand that. Also, the cellphone industry has killed that special professional photo moments. Cruise lines are adapting to that... All of them, except Cunard. Now: Look at some Cunard pricing right now on their current offering... Something sometimes more or less on par with mainline MSC for baseline Britannia staterooms in certain sailings... For a good reason!... Either way: They adapt or fail. I know: Off topic, but that is reality!

I'm surprised though that those Europeans, I presume the majority now onboard, were so out of context though, unless they're really some of those 3rd grade influencers or TA's... Back before the pandemic, on holiday, even on mainstream MSC, the MDR environment used to be far more sophisticated than what is being described here. Far more, to say the least with suit with no tie being the overall norm for men and the corresponding ladies outfit...

I guess we are less surprised, about the onboard dress described by the OP, than the OP?  Why? Because we cruise a lot (over 100 days this year) on multiple cruise lines.  Dress codes have mostly disappeared (even Seabourn has finally relented and now allows nice jeans in The Restaurant).  I am starting to pack for EJ1, and will leave my tux in the closet.  I get it!  Don't always like it, but I do get it.

You cannot rate a cruise line based on how the paying folks decide to dress.  Just watched TV today and saw the President of Ukraine, sitting in the oval office dressed like a truck driver.  The Majority Leader of the US Senate recently dropped the dress code (which had been very strict) to accommodate one Senator who prefers to wear a sweat shirt and shorts!  Even in Wall Street and many bank offices, the traditional dress code (suit and tie) has gone the way of the horse and buggy.

Times do change standards (when I was a boy my father would not go out of the house unless he was wearing a suit and dressy hat).  Perhaps the pendulum will eventually swing back to "dressy," but for now, smart casual seems to be the new dressy.  As to T-shirts and jeans, many of those items now cost more than my tux :).

The issue with entertainment (a pet peeve of mine) is disturbing.  We are fine with a cruise line relying on lounge acts and a few musicians, but we expect them to be good.  This is an easy thing to correct so we hope that things are better next week :). 

As to the shore excursion folks (we seldom take cruise line excursions) we have found most (on any cruise line) clueless.  They are simply selling products provided by shore-based contractors.  Expecting them to have a clue, especially when EJ is making its first visit to every port, is a pipe dream.  I assume all they can do is read the "script" that is on their screens and provided by the shore-based contractor.  I have more respect for folks that admit "we don't know" rather than pretend to have expertise.

Hank

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Critically Cruising said:

That's disappointing. On a luxury brand, you would expect people with social standards. Senior management setting the example etc. Hope that everyone queues? 

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I guess we are less surprised, about the onboard dress described by the OP, than the OP?  Why? Because we cruise a lot (over 100 days this year) on multiple cruise lines.  Dress codes have mostly disappeared (even Seabourn has finally relented and now allows nice jeans in The Restaurant).  I am starting to pack for EJ1, and will leave my tux in the closet.  I get it!  Don't always like it, but I do get it.

You cannot rate a cruise line based on how the paying folks decide to dress.  Just watched TV today and saw the President of Ukraine, sitting in the oval office dressed like a truck driver.  The Majority Leader of the US Senate recently dropped the dress code (which had been very strict) to accommodate one Senator who prefers to wear a sweat shirt and shorts!  Even in Wall Street and many bank offices, the traditional dress code (suit and tie) has gone the way of the horse and buggy.

Times do change standards (when I was a boy my father would not go out of the house unless he was wearing a suit and dressy hat).  Perhaps the pendulum will eventually swing back to "dressy," but for now, smart casual seems to be the new dressy.  As to T-shirts and jeans, many of those items now cost more than my tux :).

The issue with entertainment (a pet peeve of mine) is disturbing.  We are fine with a cruise line relying on lounge acts and a few musicians, but we expect them to be good.  This is an easy thing to correct so we hope that things are better next week :). 

As to the shore excursion folks (we seldom take cruise line excursions) we have found most (on any cruise line) clueless.  They are simply selling products provided by shore-based contractors.  Expecting them to have a clue, especially when EJ is making its first visit to every port, is a pipe dream.  I assume all they can do is read the "script" that is on their screens and provided by the shore-based contractor.  I have more respect for folks that admit "we don't know" rather than pretend to have expertise.

Hank

Hank

I was planning to bring a suit w/o tie but the way it looks i will likely leave the suit.at home.  A few years back 2018 went from Vancouver to Hawaii on Celebrity and most men wore jackets or suits in evening

Ol will be interested to hear what you see 1st hand

Thanks 

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would think that they would know:

1) What terminal the cruise is arriving into in New York?

2) What the cost of a transfer from that terminal to the airport would be?

Those were finally made available to the passengers 10 days into the cruise.

Are those unreasonable expectations?  How can guests properly make arrangements otherwise?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

@Critically Cruising, thank you for your posts; it helps to set (now lower but appropriate) expectations!

I know there are dishes in various restaurants that offer caviar, but is there the option to order it on its own?  Or a caviar menu for a fee?  

The potato and caviar appetizer in Marble is mis-described IMO.  It's a lump of caviar on top of a disk of crushed potato. Why they call it fingerling potato with caviar is a mystery.  There are other appetizers with caviar ingredients -- I found them to be mostly there for the image factor of being on the menu.  Nothing special.

I did not see any "pure caviar" offerings.  But then, I wasn't specifically looking or asking for them.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

I would think that they would know:

1) What terminal the cruise is arriving into in New York?

2) What the cost of a transfer from that terminal to the airport would be?

Those were finally made available to the passengers 10 days into the cruise.

Are those unreasonable expectations?  How can guests properly make arrangements otherwise?

No, that is not unreasonable.  Ironically, it was reported here (in a post a few days ago) that folks onboard were not able to get a definitive answer to where the ship is docking in NYC,   The funny thing about that is that there are still several web sites (including Cruise Mapper) that still show the ship gong to Bayonne,  Up until about a week ago, both Bayonne's and the Manhattan Cruise terminal had the Explora coming to their facility!  In the last few days, the Bayonne site finally deleted the EJ from its site.  Not sure why the confusion about NYC, but it did cause us a little concern.  Since we are using rental cars for embarkation and debarkation, we had finally decided to book cars so that we could handle either Bayonne or Manhattan!  It was only today that I cancelled the Newark reservations, because docking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal seemed assured.

Even on land there is a lot of confusion about EJ.  We are on the next cruise and now have no clue regarding whether we must debark on Oct 12 or Oct 13.  Although a few posters (here on CC) have posted some good info, as passengers on that cruise we have received no information from EJ.  So confusion at the shore excursion desk just sounds like "typical EJ."

Hank

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No, that is not unreasonable.  Ironically, it was reported here (in a post a few days ago) that folks onboard were not able to get a definitive answer to where the ship is docking in NYC,   The funny thing about that is that there are still several web sites (including Cruise Mapper) that still show the ship gong to Bayonne,  Up until about a week ago, both Bayonne's and the Manhattan Cruise terminal had the Explora coming to their facility!  In the last few days, the Bayonne site finally deleted the EJ from its site.  Not sure why the confusion about NYC, but it did cause us a little concern.  Since we are using rental cars for embarkation and debarkation, we had finally decided to book cars so that we could handle either Bayonne or Manhattan!  It was only today that I cancelled the Newark reservations, because docking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal seemed assured.

Even on land there is a lot of confusion about EJ.  We are on the next cruise and now have no clue regarding whether we must debark on Oct 12 or Oct 13.  Although a few posters (here on CC) have posted some good info, as passengers on that cruise we have received no information from EJ.  So confusion at the shore excursion desk just sounds like "typical EJ."

Hank

About 6 weeks ago an EJ Ambassador sent me an email that said on October 12 the ship would dick at pier 88 Manhattan  i guess we shall see given the Christening

6 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

About 6 weeks ago an EJ Ambassador sent me an email that said on October 12 the ship would dick at pier 88 Manhattan  i guess we shall see given the Christening

Ahhh, next door to the Intrepid!  Once we felt sure (today) that the ship will be at 88 or 90, it clarified our Monday morning drive.  Strange that CruiseMapper (and some other sites) still show the ship going to Bayonne.  In fairness our EJ, our cruise docs were specific with the address of the MCT facility (piers 88 and 90).  At the moment, it is somewhat difficult to believe much of what we are told by EJ..but hopefully everything will be terrific once aboard.

Hank

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Cheers to you! That's it on the times change for dress codes and so on!...

Regarding Entertainment EJ's purpose is in paper my dream for an enjoyable 21st century cruise experience. Hope them to be at least able to effectively provide.

As per the shore excursions department, I have another concern: I'm now in the middle of watching some YT videos of an old lady, sort of influencer, vlogger, or what else I've found whom is or was recently on the ship. As per those videos what is evident on me is that EJ is selling a supposedly premium service, at premium prices... Surely they have small group buses... But the real shore excursions are NOT your desirable luxury segment excursions. Fortunately the lady is honest enough on calling that not luxury, even if politely... They're providing on same mainstream 44-60 seat buses they use for mainstream MSC, instead of the small 12-20 seats mini vans with dark windows usually used for luxury line shore ex. I lived minutes from the Lisbon port till the pandemic. I know the target difference for the usual product delivery... Simply EJ is contracting mainstream and reselling as premium, except the minimum pax number to run a trip!... The tour bus they provided for a 15 individuals small group in Rotterdam was not better than our commuter 1-3 hour express buses we use here in Portugal along the country! That seems unacceptable at that shore ex price range. They have a long run to go till they're at par. They should have discounted those shore ex accordingly.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Regarding Entertainment EJ's purpose is in paper my dream for an enjoyable 21st century cruise experience. Hope them to be at least able to effectively provide.

As per the shore excursions department, I have another concern: I'm now in the middle of watching some YT videos of an old lady, sort of influencer, vlogger, or what else I've found whom is or was recently on the ship. As per those videos what is evident on me is that EJ is selling a supposedly premium service, at premium prices... Surely they have small group buses... But the real shore excursions are NOT your desirable luxury segment excursions. Fortunately the lady is honest enough on calling that not luxury, even if politely... They're providing on same mainstream 44-60 seat buses they use for mainstream MSC, instead of the small 12-20 seats mini vans with dark windows usually used for luxury line shore ex. I lived minutes from the Lisbon port till the pandemic. I know the target difference for the usual product delivery... Simply EJ is contracting mainstream and reselling as premium, except the minimum pax number to run a trip!... The tour bus they provided for a 15 individuals small group in Rotterdam was not better than our commuter 1-3 hour express buses we use here in Portugal along the country! That seems unacceptable at that shore ex price range. They have a long run to go till they're at par. They should have discounted those shore ex accordingly.

I can tell you that on our recent Seabourn Quest cruise (UK, Iceland, Greenland and Canada) they also used large normal Coaches at most ports.  The two excursions that we took found the large buses 1/3 - 1/2 full.  At the time, I was surprised they use large buses.  On the other hand, having a bus with 60 seats and only 25 passengers seemed a lot more comfy than cramming us into a full small mini-bus.  I am not sure how Regent, Silverseas, and Crystal currently handle excursions (perhaps some other poster has that info).

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am part of Explora's target audience.  My definition of luxury is very different than some members of this board and I welcome less formality.  As an attorneyI had to wear suits for many years. When I went to work for a Silicon Valley company that all changed and I am grateful.  Outside a wedding, funeral or a very special occasion, I will not wear a suit.  When on a cruise, I will look presentable and comply with the dress code.  I do not care if fellow passengers think I taking the way from the elegance of the cruise because I do not wear a jacket and tie with my outfit.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

That's disappointing. On a luxury brand, you would expect people with social standards. Senior management setting the example etc. Hope that everyone queues? 

people travelling for  free do not queue and do not tip  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

also in Zeebrugge the coaches were from a non luxury company 

I have yet to see a tie on any guest, staff or officer. You would look foolish in a tux aboard this ship. Yes, some puffy jackets and jeans even in Fils Rouge. Personally I always wear a jacket there but not in other venues. It is a sign of the times. 
Explora WILL dock Monday at Manhattan Cruise Terminal on 12th Ave. All departing guests are required to be in the pier by 9:30 AM. This is not an Explora edict but a US Customs requirement as they do not maintain staff at MCT 24/7. 
There should be plenty of yellow cabs at the exit. Fares to any of the three airports should be about $75. Fares to midtown hotels about $20. 
You can also reserve a car from 212 777 7777 for about $15 more.  I will be using Blacklane which will be about $25 more than taxi. Nicer cars and more helpful with luggage. 
DO NOT miss entrance to NY harbor which should commence about 6AM on Monday. One of the world’s greatest harbour entrances rivaling Rio, Sydney or Hong Kong. Hopefully there will be fire boats shooting great streams of water to welcome this ship on its maiden call. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I have yet to see a tie on any guest, staff or officer. You would look foolish in a tux aboard this ship. Yes, some puffy jackets and jeans even in Fils Rouge. Personally I always wear a jacket there but not in other venues. It is a sign of the times. 
Explora WILL dock Monday at Manhattan Cruise Terminal on 12th Ave. All departing guests are required to be in the pier by 9:30 AM. This is not an Explora edict but a US Customs requirement as they do not maintain staff at MCT 24/7. 
There should be plenty of yellow cabs at the exit. Fares to any of the three airports should be about $75. Fares to midtown hotels about $20. 
You can also reserve a car from 212 777 7777 for about $15 more.  I will be using Blacklane which will be about $25 more than taxi. Nicer cars and more helpful with luggage. 
DO NOT miss entrance to NY harbor which should commence about 6AM on Monday. One of the world’s greatest harbour entrances rivaling Rio, Sydney or Hong Kong. Hopefully there will be fire boats shooting great streams of water to welcome this ship on its maiden call. 

Love this post thank you