Do you expect MORE when NCL makes you PAY more to cruise????

expectthebest

The NCL prices ARE skyrocketing. Consider the following:

• I10 day Mediterranean in a Haven penthouse suite on the Prima in November this year. Base price EUR 2100pp. This is pretty close to off season, and the weather is a gamble. But with Haven, an additional 350 for the thermal suite, and great cities to explore every day, it comes to around 250pp/day including FAS and pre paid gratuity. 
  • 2024 November Viva EUR 7775pp for the same category. And November 2025 8596.

Consider the comparison to a true all-incöusive luxury cruise line like Silversea. I looked at the price without air, in a Classic Veranda Suite, and similar length (10-11 days)

• November 2023. 7450
  • November 2024 5650
  • November 2025 6350
  • Like 1

Haven is sold out for November 2023.  So, didn’t see those fares.

Suite/Haven is sold out in November for the Dawn and Breakaway, too.

Looks like Silverseas is waitlisted for November, too.

Could be I’m in the U.S.

So, didn’t look any further.

I’ve looked at the “luxury” cruise lines more than a few times.  Couldn’t make the jump.

But, if it works for you, go for it.

I don’t think fares have “sky-rocketed” as you put it.

I’ve found some great deals on NCL.

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Haven is sold out for November 2023.  So, didn’t see those fares.

Suite/Haven is sold out in November for the Dawn and Breakaway, too.

Looks like Silverseas is waitlisted for November, too.

Could be I’m in the U.S.

So, didn’t look any further.

I’ve looked at the “luxury” cruise lines more than a few times.  Couldn’t make the jump.

But, if it works for you, go for it.

I don’t think fares have “sky-rocketed” as you put it.

I’ve found some great deals on NCL.

I only did a very quick comparison. The price for the Prima Haven on November 1st was 2040 EUR, which I booked a few weeks back. It is indeed sold out now. 

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the Haven and suite categories on NCL are going up in price so much in 2024/25 that SilveSea, Regent etc become serious alternatives. Of course the concept of small ship cruises is very different. 

I will book our next cruise on one of these luxury lines. They have some great itineraries, but what concerns me is the size of the ship, often combined with quite a few sea days. If I don’t get cabin fever, and don’t need to attend weight watchers and AA afterwards, it may be the way to go. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:57 AM, KateQ22003 said:

I for one have seen a HUGE decrease in the value of NCL since Covid. I did 3 cruises to Bermuda this summer and each one had less services and amenities than the one before. It is very noticeable. What stood out most to me was the lack of staff and how overworked everyone was, and the amateur level of the theater shows. One night they even had "deal or no deal" as the featured show. Really? It is sad to me. I get they lost a lot of money during covid, but they can't expect to make it up in a year.

Agreed!!  THIS post is exactly what I was expressing.. you pay all this money and the service is at a amateur level.. Cruises used to roll out the red carpet!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nixxon said:

I only did a very quick comparison. The price for the Prima Haven on November 1st was 2040 EUR, which I booked a few weeks back. It is indeed sold out now. 

What you did is not really a fair comparison. Those off- or shoulder- season cruises usually drop in price the closer you get to final payment date. The sweet spot is to book somewhere around 3-5 months before the cruise sail date. For cruises in high demand, that strategy will not work though.

I am pretty sure your cruise would have cost way more if you booked it early last year. NCL is counting on the fact that most people book early and don’t get their fair repriced. 

On 9/22/2023 at 9:57 AM, KateQ22003 said:

I for one have seen a HUGE decrease in the value of NCL since Covid. I did 3 cruises to Bermuda this summer and each one had less services and amenities than the one before. It is very noticeable. What stood out most to me was the lack of staff and how overworked everyone was, and the amateur level of the theater shows. One night they even had "deal or no deal" as the featured show. Really? It is sad to me. I get they lost a lot of money during covid, but they can't expect to make it up in a year.

On 9/22/2023 at 7:50 AM, hallux said:

Do tell, how is NCL insanely MORE than Royal?  Just compared a 5-day cruise for 4 to Bermuda, the Joy for NCL and Liberty of the Seas for Royal, balcony for both.  NCL came in $400 LESS than Royal, on a newer ship and with the Free At Sea package so it has the open bar grats. on the NCL cruise.  Screenshots for proof...

Royal -

image.thumb.png.cb193fe2d24c2ad4908dba2cd218d14b.png

NCL -

image.thumb.png.c6d2218c6859e3c6142c9db18261c576.png

I guess the "insane" prices compared to other lines depend on the itinerary...

You are showing screen shots of a 5 day cruise with NO airfare for $4500.. I do t know.. for me that seems pretty high.. but thanks for doing the comparison bc at least NCL example includes drink pkg which is a nice feature.

On 9/22/2023 at 2:18 PM, BirdTravels said:

Do  you expect more from a dozen eggs when the price goes from $0.70/dozen to $5.25/dozen????

Do you expect more from a gallon of gas when it has gone from under $3/gal to nearly $5/gal?

Do you expect more from your $2 Sausage McMuffin with Egg now that it costs $2.79? Or do you expect more from the $1 menu now that it is the $1/$2/$3 menu with nothing under a dollar?

Do you expect more from an item from Dollar Tree now that everything costs at least $1.25?

Birdi-

your response nails it.. I don’t expect more with fixed pricing on consumer goods.. but when a ‘service’ is involved.. which cruising is 60% service I do expect MORE.. now admittedly I do still enjoy the value menu at the drive thru from time to time lol but that is a different situation.. see, when cruise companies decide to increase their prices which obvi needs to happen from time to time.. they should also make sure their guests are feeling APPRECIATED.. how many times have you passed a cruise employee in a hallway or in a dining establishment and instead of the worker looking you in the eye and asking how are you or a simple good morning.. they are looking down and to the left.. IYKYK

6 minutes ago, expectthebest said:

You are showing screen shots of a 5 day cruise with NO airfare for $4500.. I do t know.. for me that seems pretty high.. but thanks for doing the comparison bc at least NCL example includes drink pkg which is a nice feature.

I simply looked for similar length cruises to the same destination so as to give a fair comparison.  I wasn't really looking for the total package cost (including airfare), I was simply comparing the cruise cost.

Something else to consider that I just remembered - the NCL price includes open bar gratuities for FOUR, that price will drop another $200 once the ages of the kids are added.  That would cover upgrading to the "Family Balcony" rather than a standard balcony...

On 9/22/2023 at 3:30 PM, DCGuy64 said:

I'm sorry, but this statement isn't true. MOST areas are out of the woods? Uh, no. Inflation is STILL hitting many people in this country, and it isn't isolated to just one geographic area, either. Gas prices are up, restaurants are charging more and cutting back staff, too. Interest rates are very high, which is causing a major slowdown in the mortgage industry. I saw a news story this morning that 50% of Americans aged 18-30 are moving back in with their parents to save money. Nobody is out of the woods.

By ‘out of the woods’ I mean that more people are comfortable getting back on a cruise ship which for the last 2 years these same people were held up in their home just looking out their windows. 
I do agree with what you are saying about the costs and I can’t imagine having adult kids moving back in to the family home.. Their room has already been converted to a study!!! Lol

11 minutes ago, expectthebest said:

how many times have you passed a cruise employee in a hallway or in a dining establishment and instead of the worker looking you in the eye and asking how are you or a simple good morning.. they are looking down and to the left.. IYKYK

On my cruise on the Escape in March I was standing with a couple others observing one of the parties in Spice from above.  Next thing we know, someone opens a door to our left (the control room for the A/V for Spice) and walks out.  We had a brief conversation with them, including them asking how we were.  Similar happened on the last night, when the crew member came up to remove the 'flags' that they pull across over Spice during the party.

On 9/22/2023 at 3:48 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Just had to mention that the price increase on the Sausage McMuffin with Egg has created a world in which I don't purchase it nearly as often. Now, they're 2 for $5. Used to be I purchased two of them a couple times a week (when they were 2 for $4). Now, I might get them once a week. My spending on this lovely breakfast item (it's actually and surprisingly good) has decreased by more than half since the price increase. Dang it, now I'm hungry! 

Sausage McMuffin® with Egg: Calories & Nutrition | McDonald's

Source: https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/sausage-mcmuffin-with-egg.html

I do have to say, even with the increased price, it seems the product is the same as I received when it was 2 for $4. One expects that (though I agree with your point on shrinkflation). The bag of chips I used to buy (key word is "used) were bigger and cheaper. Now that the chips are hovering at around $5/bag, I don't buy them anymore. No way I'm paying $5 for a few ounces of fried potatoes!! 

Thankfully, the Haven product hasn't been downgraded enough to cause me to cut spending there. I was worried when the Berkshire chop went away and the steak for breakfast became NY Strip and the Delmonico was replaced. But, the quality on available items is still excellent (and I can custom order that filet for breakfast). Teppanyaki, however, well...let's not get started on the NY Strip they offer. 

Thank you for including the picture of the delicious McD SEC on a muffin.. now I am starving!!! Do you remember when McD decided to allow breakfast to be ordered 24 hrs a day?? Those were some good times my friend.

I digress.. speaking about Haven.. we have been fortunate enough to stay a few times by way of upgrades but never the rack rate right out of the gate.. I feel like if a family of 4 can and is willing to pay 12k for a nice haven cabin for a week that family may want to look at some higher end cruise lines that cater specifically to the well heeled

• Like 1

Ok.. Last thought on shrinkflation since you bring it up and it seems like a ‘hot’ button for most.. here is an excerpt from my open letter I mailed not long ago:

Hello Food Makers,

If you are going to shrink the size/ volume of the food we are used to buying do me one favor… please also shrink the packaging to match the new size of the reduced product that you are charging me a premium for.. did you ever see a guest at a wedding in a much to big suit? It looks ridiculous!!!

Well the packaging on my Reese’s peanut butter cups recently reminded me of that!! The packaging was so big and loose that one of the peanut butter cups actually had enough room to ‘flip’ over.. also I used to be able to stack 2 Reese’s cups and place them both in my mouth at the same time.. now I can do it with ease and actually thought let’s try 3 of them which turned out to be a bad idea.. and what happened to the cardboard tray that the 2 cups used to rest on??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2023 at 7:15 PM, vswan said:

In 1996, I went to a TA and told him I wanted to do a family vacation and gave him an all in budget of $1000 PP for a family of 4, $4000 total. He asked if I had ever considered a cruise and we booked on HAL, an inside cabin ad air for under that amount. Had a complimentary OV upgrade.

Have continued cruising at least once per year since then - except for covid. Over the years we went from expecting air and cruise for $1000 pp to as close as we could get to $1000 and eventually to cruise only, we also upgraded to a balcony, but not until about 5 years ago. We were not loyal to any cruiseline, looked at dates, ports and price.

My last Alaskan cruise was more than $6000 for 2, but that included air, daily service charge and trip insurance. Balcony cabin on NCL.

Have a RC cruise booked for early November. I thought the prices were horrible when I booked, but when I actually did the math the base price - not counting tips, air, insurance -was about $1150pp for an outside facing balcony on the Oasis. And, I don't think I could get an inside cabin now at that price. Drink package has been running $73 to $78pppd. Skipping that.

I would be interested to know what type of increase that actually is. In 25 years if the price doubled I would be way ahead going from inside to balcony. I know air is at least twice the cost it used to be.

I love to cruise. As long as my budget allows and I am able to do it, I will. But, I will compare prices and look for deals, have been doing it all along. Not getting a balcony might be a deal breaker for me though.

My friend.. I don’t want to be the one to tell you this but I added up all the money you had spent on your cruises over the last 25 years and adjusted for inflation with and annual rate of return of 4% and well if you want to know I’ll tell you…

The total comes to 3.79 million dollars.. just think if you didn’t like cruising so much that money would be in your bank lol

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2023 at 5:34 AM, NJGeorge said:

image.png.0a20a89b9b2c519f134dd5e6c36850b7.png

If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen, the Macdonalds, the gas station, the grocery store and the (used to be) Dollar store.

Can't do that because you need to drive and eat then give up something you don't have to have like cruising.

Love these first world rants. Move to Maui see how it is there.

I love replies and posts like this.. when it’s put in perspective yes it’s a first world problem.. I am tired of hearing everyone say that the cruise lines need to ‘recoup’ for the last 2 years.. that is BS they took the write offs they need to move on..

I used to live in the garden state for the first 19 years of my life

4 hours ago, insidecabin said:

People seem to be happy to over compensate for rising prices and just pay asking prices.

Last time(early this year) I looked at NCLH results the food costs had gone up something like $50-$60 per week(per person) so that's not adding 1000s to the cruise prices

The biggest rise was debt interest that had hit $30pp per cruise day.

I bet if this keeps up that consumers in the car market will just willingly drive to the car lot and happily pay ‘sticker’ for their RAV4

If this continues.. how long until the dealers start to create their own “stickers” and pad in a lil extra and see just how far people will go to pay an inflated sticker price on a declining asset

27 minutes ago, expectthebest said:

My friend.. I don’t want to be the one to tell you this but I added up all the money you had spent on your cruises over the last 25 years and adjusted for inflation with and annual rate of return of 4% and well if you want to know I’ll tell you…

The total comes to 3.79 million dollars.. just think if you didn’t like cruising so much that money would be in your bank lol

LOL, I doubt if it's that much since we switched to 2 people instead of 4 very early on, but I'm sure it does add up to a lot. Pretty sure we would have taken some form of vacations at least part of the time anyway so the saving wouldn't have been that high. In fact, if you add in the other vacations we DID take, that number would be higher.

Since I lost my DH this past year, I can also say that I don't regret spending one dime of that money on cruises or vacation memories.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nixxon said:

The NCL prices ARE skyrocketing. Consider the following:

• I10 day Mediterranean in a Haven penthouse suite on the Prima in November this year. Base price EUR 2100pp. This is pretty close to off season, and the weather is a gamble. But with Haven, an additional 350 for the thermal suite, and great cities to explore every day, it comes to around 250pp/day including FAS and pre paid gratuity. 
  • 2024 November Viva EUR 7775pp for the same category. And November 2025 8596.

Consider the comparison to a true all-incöusive luxury cruise line like Silversea. I looked at the price without air, in a Classic Veranda Suite, and similar length (10-11 days)

• November 2023. 7450
  • November 2024 5650
  • November 2025 6350

Sure, but you are picking the two newest, flagships of the NCL fleet in your example. All of the Prima and Viva cruises come with a premium price. All are restricted from some normal discounts/comps. 

It's like saying it costs more to rent a Cadillac than a Chevy car (at least that's the way all cruise line treat their new ships). 

Or saying that a 7-night cruise to Alaska costs more than a 7-night cruise to the Caribbean even though both are 7-nights.You pay a premium for something that is popular. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vswan said:

LOL, I doubt if it's that much since we switched to 2 people instead of 4 very early on, but I'm sure it does add up to a lot. Pretty sure we would have taken some form of vacations at least part of the time anyway so the saving wouldn't have been that high. In fact, if you add in the other vacations we DID take, that number would be higher.

Since I lost my DH this past year, I can also say that I don't regret spending one dime of that money on cruises or vacation memories.

Amen 🙏.  Tomorrow isn’t promised and you can’t take it with you.  Don’t want to say ifa, shoulda, coulda, woulda.  Enjoy life while you can. God bless!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, expectthebest said:

Birdi-

your response nails it.. I don’t expect more with fixed pricing on consumer goods.. but when a ‘service’ is involved.. which cruising is 60% service I do expect MORE.. now admittedly I do still enjoy the value menu at the drive thru from time to time lol but that is a different situation.. see, when cruise companies decide to increase their prices which obvi needs to happen from time to time.. they should also make sure their guests are feeling APPRECIATED.. how many times have you passed a cruise employee in a hallway or in a dining establishment and instead of the worker looking you in the eye and asking how are you or a simple good morning.. they are looking down and to the left.. IYKYK

So, I return to my $0.79/dozen eggs going to $5+/dozen eggs. When a ship uses 50,000+ eggs a week, it is not the cost of service but is a cost. Neither is skyrocketing fuel costs. Or the cost of just about everything else served on the ship (including labor). 

You need to consider the total cost of operating a cruise line,,, which includes the costs incurred during the year and a half shutdown. 

I disagree with crew interaction.... I have not noted any decrease in customer interface (we will be on our 5th NCL cruise this year shortly). I was on the Encore two weeks ago and almost every crew member greeted me (whether in passenger space or crew space). Crew members that you have even the briefest encounters with (like a restaurant host or waiter) will address you by name the next time you see them,,, like in the buffet ("Good Morning, Bird") or walking past their restaurant on a subsequent night. I still think that NCL has the friendliest crew who show their appreciation with every encounter (and still think that Royal Caribbean has the most unfriendly crew on our RCCL cruises this year). 

2 hours ago, Nixxon said:

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the Haven and suite categories on NCL are going up in price so much in 2024/25 that SilveSea, Regent etc become serious alternatives. Of course the concept of small ship cruises is very different. 

I will book our next cruise on one of these luxury lines. They have some great itineraries, but what concerns me is the size of the ship, often combined with quite a few sea days. If I don’t get cabin fever, and don’t need to attend weight watchers and AA afterwards, it may be the way to go. 

OK!

Converting EUR to $ is pretty even.  So, your Haven fare is excellent!

Don’t know the Silverseas fare to do an apples to apples comparison for the same cruise, date, itinerary and ship type!  They’re sold out, too!

Viva and Prime are NCL’s newest ships.  

On ANY cruise line, you can cherry pick a month, a cruise line, a ship even a cabin category and claim fares are high or low compared to another cruise line!

It has nothing to do with skyrocketing fares or one cruise line vs another.

Competition between all the lines, including fares, has been going on since I’ve been cruising (since the ‘80s).

I find deals on NCL.  I’ve found deals on all the main stream cruise lines.  

Shop them.  Pick the one that’s best for you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vswan said:

I’m sorry for your loss.. I can’t even imagine.. good that you will always have the memories to reflect back on a live well lived.. 

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK!

Converting EUR to $ is pretty even.  So, your Haven fare is excellent!

Don’t know the Silverseas fare to do an apples to apples comparison for the same cruise, date, itinerary and ship type!  They’re sold out, too!

Viva and Prime are NCL’s newest ships.  

On ANY cruise line, you can cherry pick a month, a cruise line, a ship even a cabin category and claim fares are high or low compared to another cruise line!

It has nothing to do with skyrocketing fares or one cruise line vs another.

Competition between all the lines, including fares, has been going on since I’ve been cruising (since the ‘80s).

I find deals on NCL.  I’ve found deals on all the main stream cruise lines.  

Shop them.  Pick the one that’s best for you!

I was trying to make an apples to apples comparison. Therefore I selected the same ship category (prima class), same stateroom (Haven penthouse), same itinerary (Mediterranean 10-11 days), and the same month (November). The ONLY difference is the year. 

The SilverSea comparison was simply there to illustrate that a similar type of suite with them is currently less expensive. 

I love NCL, and they are my first choice. There are, as you pointed out, always good deals to be found. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that the person (or algorithm) doing pricing for 2024 and beyond, is going ballistic. Transatlantic cruise on the Viva 29.11-15.12.2014. Haven penthouse at EUR 11,741. Inside starts at 2,714

3 hours ago, expectthebest said:

Agreed!!  THIS post is exactly what I was expressing.. you pay all this money and the service is at a amateur level.. Cruises used to roll out the red carpet!! 

So why do people continue to pay all of this money if service is at an amateur level?

As others have said there are deals - just not necessarily when, and where you want to go, and not on NCL. If NCL is your be all and end all then you need to decide if the value proposition exists for you, if not move on. Judging by prices and booking levels, it does appear that there are people willing to pay these prices - they might be a one off but there is always somebody else right behind, ready to pay. The first time cruising market is still quite large.

Edited by RD64
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Nixxon said:

I was trying to make an apples to apples comparison. Therefore I selected the same ship category (prima class), same stateroom (Haven penthouse), same itinerary (Mediterranean 10-11 days), and the same month (November). The ONLY difference is the year. 

The SilverSea comparison was simply there to illustrate that a similar type of suite with them is currently less expensive. 

I love NCL, and they are my first choice. There are, as you pointed out, always good deals to be found. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that the person (or algorithm) doing pricing for 2024 and beyond, is going ballistic. Transatlantic cruise on the Viva 29.11-15.12.2014. Haven penthouse at EUR 11,741. Inside starts at 2,714

Sail what you want.  Silverseas isn’t my vibe.  But, I am leaving on the Epic next week for an 11 day Mediterranean cruise in a Haven 2BR Suite for a little over $4,500!

I’ve always been able to find deals on NCL!

Have seen some mildly interesting fares on OCEANIA.  But again, that cruise experience isn’t quite my “thing”.

Sounds like you’re focused on Silverseas cruises.  Go for it!