Is it doable to see Sitka sights on our own?

surgie

Traveling mid-July 2024 - Family of 11 - 6 adults and 5 kids ages 5-11. We are interested in Fortress of the Bear, Sitka National Historic Park and Raptor Center. The ship has an excursion that is nearly sold out but I prefer non-ship excursions anyway. The ones I have looked at max at 10 people except for Baranof which will take 12. It is over $1000 which is ok if that is the better way to go vs. individual travel. Appreciate advice on this port. 

I did Baranof and they did a good tour. I had a great guide. No regrets.

You can easily walk to the Sitka National Historic Park by yourself (probably 15 minutes). It is a nice walk along the water. The Raptor Center is walkable (maybe 30 minutes from where the shuttle drops you off in town) also but Fortress of the Bear is not walkable given the time frame.

• Like 1

Sitka is entirely doable on your own. We have never booked a ship tour on our visits. There are taxis and private tours that will take you to Fortress of the Bear. Most other sites are walkable if you are in good shape. It is an absolutely stunning town - one of our very favorite ports in AK. You might want to do some research via the local tourism website or TripAdvisor for ideas on planning your own day there. 

• Like 2

The bus from the ship will drop you off at the visitor’s center in town.  In the past there was another hop on hop off bus that makes the loop out to the Fortress of the Bears and Raptor center.  The size of your group might be an issue (getting everybody on the same bus).  The price was reasonable.  As @Coral said, you can walk to the Raptor Center.  The Fortress of the Bears is further out but worth a visit!

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the advice. If not for our group size and ages of the kids I might have been more willing to DIY. But Baranof agreed to take 11 of us on the private tour (Fortress of the Bear, Sitka National Historic Park and Raptor Center) and didn't charge for the 11th person. This will be very helpful they will provide a booster seat for the youngest and we can't count on that in a taxi.. (There is room in the van for 14 but they generally max at 10). It's only a 2-hour tour and that will give us time to split up after and explore the town on our own or do some hiking. 

Edited by surgie
add

28 minutes ago, surgie said:

Thanks for all of the advice. If not for our group size and ages of the kids I might have been more willing to DIY. But Baranof agreed to take 11 of us on the private tour (Fortress of the Bear, Sitka National Historic Park and Raptor Center) and didn't charge for the 11th person. This will be very helpful they will provide a booster seat for the youngest and we can't count on that in a taxi.. (There is room in the van for 14 but they generally max at 10). It's only a 2-hour tour and that will give us time to split up after and explore the town on our own or do some hiking. 

I did their tour this summer.

We probably had 10 on our bus (so it was roomy). Our guide was outstanding. We did the Raptor Center first, then Fortress of the Bear and lastly, the Sitka National Park.

We arrived at the Fortress of the Bear when it wasn't crowded. Not sure if that was planned or not but it is a small place and I was glad it wasn't crowded.

Several of us decided to walk back to downtown area from the Sitka National Park. It is a straightforward walk along the water. You can decide then if you want to or not (or some of you want to and some go back via bus). I would ask to do this last so if some want to spend more time at the Park, they can.

I have to say I was impressed with the guide, the vehicle they used and the tour. I felt like we had enough time at each place.

Sounds like a good plan given your situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I did their tour this summer.

We probably had 10 on our bus (so it was roomy). Our guide was outstanding. We did the Raptor Center first, then Fortress of the Bear and lastly, the Sitka National Park.

We arrived at the Fortress of the Bear when it wasn't crowded. Not sure if that was planned or not but it is a small place and I was glad it wasn't crowded.

Several of us decided to walk back to downtown area from the Sitka National Park. It is a straightforward walk along the water. You can decide then if you want to or not (or some of you want to and some go back via bus). I would ask to do this last so if some want to spend more time at the Park, they can.

I have to say I was impressed with the guide, the vehicle they used and the tour. I felt like we had enough time at each place.

Sounds like a good plan given your situation.

Thanks so much for the detailed review of your tour. I have been on the fence about a Sitka tour as this trip is our treat and wow do those excursions add up! But having kids who aren't cranky translates to adults who aren't cranky lol. So we will try to keep it all easy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, surgie said:

Thanks so much for the detailed review of your tour. I have been on the fence about a Sitka tour as this trip is our treat and wow do those excursions add up! But having kids who aren't cranky translates to adults who aren't cranky lol. So we will try to keep it all easy!

I have a review of my trip:

Hopefully this brings you to the page where Sitka is.

• Like 1