Burger Station opens

Stickman1990

19 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Clearly it’s not the line for you so you’ll be glad when tomorrow rolls around and you can disembark never to return to Explora 

It’s a sea day today - so it’s not operating - that doesn’t mean it was a one day experiment - it means it will operate on port days to cater for those returning from ashore 

On sea days I guess they figure people are smart enough to manage their food intake around the standard dining hours - or use Crema, Afternoon tea or the extensive room service menu 

Even on a sea day it’s absurd you can’t get a burger by the pool after 2 pm. Or anything for that matter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Even on a sea day it’s absurd you can’t get a burger by the pool after 2 pm. Or anything for that matter. 

That will not be sustainable when there are children onboard 

On 9/25/2023 at 1:32 AM, uktog said:

That will not be sustainable when there are children onboard 

I'll have children onboard for Nov 17 out of Miami... I am following this closely.

They are quite well behaved, as long as they kept well fed. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aururab said:

I'll have children onboard for Nov 17 out of Miami... I am following this closely.

They are quite well behaved, as long as they kept well fed. 🙂

Not sure how old they are but they’ll probably love the facilities in the Nautilus Club - huge space with lots of games and activities to keep them occupied

IMG_4544.thumb.jpeg.bba78c4c21187fc3061c3ae020bdcf3b.jpeg

IMG_4545.thumb.jpeg.a53001549422bb1056b5a2af9a251514.jpeg

IMG_4546.thumb.jpeg.3b0d0ce366087f8966925870d17336ed.jpeg

• Like 3

I am a little confused why anyone would take young children on a 6 star cruise rather than them exploring the delights of something like the RCCL or Norwegian mega ship with endless child entertainment & activities.  We sailed on a Seabourn cruise and the only child on board ended up playing with cocktail sticks and corks in the pool. 

• Like 1

Families are very much the target group for Explora. Parents who like a more refined experience don’t want the slides and water park environment. With a club like Nautilus and some forethought by the parents it can offer a great family holiday 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I’ve not known many children looking and asking for a refined holiday experience. Son, would you like a RCCL adventure cruise or a more refined dinner experience with minimal entertainment for children. Oh, refined meals all day for me dad….. Maybe I’m just not used to the refined children club or the forethought by the parents…. To be fair, I’ve not been on Explora yet so reserve judgement.  Perhaps not my first thought if I were looking for a family fun packed cruise at sea.

• Haha 2

You might have all missed where families are one of the demographics Explora is targeting.

My kids didn’t ask to go on vacation to Paris, Rome, Barcelona, or Stockholm either, but we have travelled across Europe with them from the time they were infants, and been on many vacations where there were not any water slides or organized kids activities and we all had a great vacation. 

It is also a school holiday sailing, so I expect we won’t be the only ones with kids on board. With two sea days you’ll see us swimming, playing pool, basketball, tennis and card games! They will eat dinner in the refined restaurants (well… not Sakura!), maybe with a book or some coloring. 

We are also looking at European cruises for next year, our first one there as all of our previous trips there have been land based, and we will likely book a luxury line that doesn’t market to kids at all, and doesn’t offer anything like the nautilus club. We are not going for the cruise ship’s activities, we are going for the ports and the kids will be just fine.

Edited by aururab
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Gary9267 said:

Maybe I’m just not used to the refined children club or the forethought by the parents…. To be fair, I’ve not been on Explora yet so reserve judgement.  Perhaps not my first thought if I were looking for a family fun packed cruise at sea.

Surprisingly, not everyone lives in your world.     It's a pleasure seeing well behaved children sharing an experience remembered for a lifetime.  

• Like 6

Congratulations @aururab at such a balanced post and approach to selecting holidays. Holidays have to be right for all the family especially the parents who will no doubt have been working very hard to pay for the holiday. Indulging children with what only works for them isn’t the right balance. 

My children joined us on holidays where there were no designated activities for them. They ate in adult facilities and learned from a very young age to enjoy adult food and behave the right way. We moderated how long we took over meal times to help the process. Nowadays we do the same with our grandson- it’s easier with him. A tablet and headset between courses and in particular before the always promised ice cream is so useful! 

My children still talk fondly of their hotel experiences as children particularly their first cruise on a ship with virtually no kid/teens venue. There was however a burger bar open 12-5. (Never ceased to amaze me how the son could polish off burger and sides at 4 and still join us at the table with strangers at 8.30 and polish off 4 courses! ) 

• Like 2

Thanks Uktog! 

Is it weird that the burger bar not being open in the afternoon is one of my main concerns in taking my elementary school aged kiddos on this cruise! 🙂 On those two sea days they will in all likelihood be eating breeatfast at 9-10am, and be ready for lunch at 2pm! 

And of course, as for the kids, there are no doubt, vacations with waterslides in their future! 

Edited by aururab
  • Like 1

Absolutely, every child and family has their own unique preferences, and enjoying cruises with a focus on entertainment and facilities was completely my family's aim.  I suppose those kids and families seeking the adrenaline rides and array of venues will continue to travel with MSC, RCCL and others seeking refined cruising might be found on Explora. 

I am still trying to find the most suitable cruise line for our own taste and we’ve tried numerous including Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, Oceania to RCCL, Norwegian & MSC.  I was quite looking forward to my Explora cruise next month although, I’ve read so much negative feedback on this forum in the past 6 weeks it’s increasingly difficult to get excited about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gary9267 said:

Absolutely, every child and family has their own unique preferences, and enjoying cruises with a focus on entertainment and facilities was completely my family's aim.  I suppose those kids and families seeking the adrenaline rides and array of venues will continue to travel with MSC, RCCL and others seeking refined cruising might be found on Explora. 

I am still trying to find the most suitable cruise line for our own taste and we’ve tried numerous including Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, Oceania to RCCL, Norwegian & MSC.  I was quite looking forward to my Explora cruise next month although, I’ve read so much negative feedback on this forum in the past 6 weeks it’s increasingly difficult to get excited about it.

Hi! First of its all; welcome aboard the EJ boards!...

Please: Don't worry so much about EJ!... Surely; it's a new line and ship tuning out the product, and cleaning out the first user bugs, but they'll be as great as it can be!... There is here a trend though. Let me to explain it:

While cruising is mainly considered such an "US based" sort of experience in what service philosophy concerns; the MSC group is an Italian family owned business on where EJ is a part of, with mostly such a continental European way of doing things. Watch for what is going on the mainstream MSC Cruise Critic's boards for "centuries" and you'll have an idea. The same way mainstream MSC is constantly the poorest rated of the mainstream industry; at least for quite a while, EJ will enjoy the same fate at the "6 star" market segment for the very same reasons. It doesn't surprise me that much, even though I'd thought they'd have learnt some lessons from their YC experience... Apparently not, but they're catching up quickly, at least!...

As per the children? Well... Just another cultural barrier here, I believe. While everywhere else the luxe market is becoming increasingly more adult oriented... For the Italians bambini, or kids, are the salt of life. You'll never find an Italian business putting them apart, unless it is sex related, of course!... Kids are the salt of life, a sign of hope in this world... Of course I believe EJ will try to control their numbers aboard if needed... But they'll never let them apart. And there will always be some parents wishing for a luxe holidays with their kids with them. A new niche market that can eventually to work well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gary9267 said:

I was quite looking forward to my Explora cruise next month although, I’ve read so much negative feedback on this forum in the past 6 weeks it’s increasingly difficult to get excited about it.

Look forward to it - you’re in for a treat 

Many of those negative posts are coming from people who have never set foot on Explora (and possibly never will) - some are annoyed about cancellations and itinerary changes - but that has nothing to do with the onboard experience. Some just like to pick and find fault - must be a sad life for them but I guess it takes all sorts

Most who have actually sailed on Explora are very happy with the experience - could some things improve - sure - but that’s true of every luxury line I’ve sailed 

Go with an open mind, and empty belly - judge for yourself - I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aururab said:

On those two sea days they will in all likelihood be eating breeatfast at 9-10am, and be ready for lunch at 2pm! 

Simple - be at Emporium at 1.45pm and order from the grill or choose from the various food stations - surely 15 minutes is not going to materially impact them

We found they didn’t actually close on the dot of 2pm anyway - so maybe get there at 1.55pm….

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Simple - be at Emporium at 1.45pm and order from the grill or choose from the various food stations - surely 15 minutes is not going to materially impact them

We found they didn’t actually close on the dot of 2pm anyway - so maybe get there at 1.55pm….

Excuses, excuses. The place should be open longer, period. 

Can anyone on board now confirm that the Burger Station is indeed still open after 2 pm? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aururab said:

I am not one to complain, but I think it will be a large problem if there is no place to eat after 2pm on two sea days on a holiday sailing on a ship that is advertising itself to families.

… and that actively advertises with “all day dining”. 

• Like 2

If you have a huge problem, when nothing is to eat between 2pm and the evening, than it has nothing to to with Explora Journey. On Explora there are still offering snacks in the Cafe Crema, delicious sandwiches for high tea or many options via room service. Actually you also need to complain, that there is nothing to eat after 10am till lunch. We are right now enjoying a wonderful cruise on Explora I. There is absolutely nothing to complain. We don’t miss the variety of dressings as we also do not have at home. We prefer to have two to three delicious dressings instead having six mediocre. ..,and we do not miss water, which is flying around the world from Italy. We really appreciate the drinking water concept, which is offered on the ship and it taste delicious on our tongues….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

… and that actively advertises with “all day dining”. 

Room Service….

Plus Crema and Afternoon Tea

I certainly didn’t spot anyone starving on our recent Explora cruise

Eat at 2pm and then again at 6.30pm if those options for in between times don’t appeal 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aururab said:

holiday sailing on a ship that is advertising itself to families.

We introduced our kids to cruising in the 10-13 year old range (but never on lines with rollercoasters or racetracks), great experiences for all. They are now in their early 30’s, married, and happily accepted cruises as wedding gifts (one on Holland, one on Regent).  Heading off next week on a cruise where one of them is joining in.  

Kudos to you @aururab for introducing them to a style of travel that sometimes is overlooked, and can lead to a lot of great family moments!  If it was around when our kids were younger EJ would have been a great choice from what I’m hearing. Especially with the great pics @Stickman1990 posted. 

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 3

We are presently on  the MSC Seascape in the Yacht Club. This is our last night on the way back to Miami. I can always find something plain on the menu, like grilled salmon a plain salad with Italian dressing on the side. DW is a very plain eater and the chef in the YC accommodates both of us very well. She eats the same meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A plain salad with lots of croutons and no salad dressing. For dinner a grilled chicken breast dry no oil and 12 bread sticks soft vegetables and a special dessert that the chef prepares every evening for her of meringues with a chocolate drizzle. We have the same table for two with the same waiters for every meal. So exotic dishes are not on our must have list. We were sold that EJ would just be an all YC type cruise ship and it appears not to be. We are booked and paid in full for Dec/Jan. Appears to us that there is no accommodations being made for guests like in the Yacht Clubs of MSC. Even if we could cancel, all the top suites on our favorite MSC ships are sold out in the Yacht Club. As someone noted we are very happy in our comfort zone in the Yacht Clubs. and thought EJ was just an extension of this MSC concept. I do not relish the idea of having to wear ear plugs for the entire trip.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I do not relish the idea of having to wear ear plugs for the entire trip.

I’ll bite - so why would you have to do that?

Why would you have assumed that Explora Journeys offering would be the same as MSCs Yacht Club? Why would they replicate what they already offer? 

16 hours ago, Gary9267 said:

I am a little confused why anyone would take young children on a 6 star cruise rather than them exploring the delights of something like the RCCL or Norwegian mega ship with endless child entertainment & activities.  We sailed on a Seabourn cruise and the only child on board ended up playing with cocktail sticks and corks in the pool. 

This line is nowhere near 6-star.  Just sayin'

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, benjaminnicholas said:

This line is nowhere near 6-star.  Just sayin'

What lines are 6 Star? Who certifies them as such? I suspect it’s just a marketing term….

So what rankings do you put the luxury lines at - and why?