OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE SEPT 24, 2023

morpheusofthesea

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

... we are not the only ones to sing the MSC praises and spend all our free time on these ships.

I bet the time you spend on the ships is anything but "free"  $$$$$   😁

Edited by Av8tor
  • Thanks 1

After a delightful dinner we opted to walk it off a bit before the the first of three anticipated shows by stopping by the Venchi kiosk and load up a bit on some chocolates for when we return to the cabin for late night snack. First stop is Le Cabaret Rouge, followed by the Chora Theatre production of Imaginocean (one of the better shows, finishing up our evening at the Loft Cafe with Bruno Vincenzo and the jazz quartet. Will report .

On our visit to Venchi kiosk last month we were helped by very accommodating young man who we felt went above and beyond in making up a big box of 

selected chocolates (my selection) and it being the last evening of the cruise I asked for the 20% off discount on only boxes. There was some discussion that the discount only pertained to premixed assortments, not custom selections. Well after some more discussion and our agreeing to purchase 3 more regular preboxed chocolates for friends and associates he agreed to 20% off all the boxes. Then he said if I really wanted to show my appreciation I would write a good word in the survey that MSC emails. I did. So tonight I asked where is he. It appears he is given days off from work now. He better be back to work at the end of the cruise, I want another discount again.

• Like 6

Heard a report this past week of some cruisers on the Seascape that missed the ship while in a Caribbean port. Recall a photo of their cabin having had placed a blue security piece of tape sealing their cabin so no one would be entering. Was told that these passengers were on a B2B and they made their way back to Miami from the port from which they were left behind. They reboarded the Seascape this afternoon for their second leg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

Always enjoy your posts, thank you. Where do you get the passenger list information?

If I divulge, the chances of that avenue will be shut off are very good. Like this morning on the trolley ride to Ocean House, we quizzed the driver to elaborate on the coming changes to Ocean Cay. His stock reply was the company line "We are told not to tell, so that it will be a surprise." From 60 years of watching American TV all detectives have to 'grease the palms' of their informants. Information to follow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Like this morning on the trolley ride to Ocean House, we quizzed the driver to elaborate on the coming changes to Ocean Cay. His stock reply was the company line "We are told not to tell, so that it will be a surprise."

When we asked, they answered more in the "not really sure" vein. Perhaps they have been given some concrete info now? I know that if anyone can find out, it'll be you. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

When we asked, they answered more in the "not really sure" vein. Perhaps they have been given some concrete info now? I know that if anyone can find out, it'll be you. 🙂

Yes. Thank you. I took a couple of short videos, but will have to wait till I get home to upload them. First, as reported in trade magazines it is around 1 million dollar renovation. widening the roadways to accommodate both trolleys and foot traffic. More restaurants and bars. dredging the channel to accommodate World America. Across the road from Ocean House a new YC restaurant buffet style.

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Today is Monday and Ocean Cay day. It is 6:40 am and we are docked. Heard that the Captain could not dock a couple days ago due to weather conditions.

Yes, we missed Ocean Cay on Saturday and had a sea day instead. The prior week we had a great day there. My husband and I surprisingly spent a lot of time in the water at the YC beach. We had our water shoes on, but once you got past the rocky bit, it was perfect. Calm, clear, like a chlorinated pool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Across the road from Ocean House a new YC restaurant buffet style.

Thanks for the details. I'm most interested in this new buffet. If it is like the One Pool buffet, great way to offer more for YC but in a different way from just adding more tables. I was wondering how more tables would have enough servers, but a buffet makes that issue go away.

• Like 1

Took a video of the sand beach at Ocean House for YCers. Looks like new sand has been put down, then a section of 4 to 5 feet of exposed pebbles and seaweed left from high tide while the surf looks like the sand is holding into the surf. Also took a 5 minute video walk through at a brisk pace 360 degrees of the Market Place buffet this morning showing that 7 am is the time to go to breakfast. NO lines, plenty of tables, very few guests, immediate service.

• Like 1

This info is probably common knowledge. There are 120 workers that live on the island. Work two months, then 2 week vacation. Workers may invite one family member for one week. Rum Cake must be a popular Staple of Ocean Cay because now another brand has been added at one shop at Ocean Cay. Black Beard's rum cake in four flavors coconut, chocolate, pina colada, and original $10 small $25 large.

• Like 3

@goldrusher is complaining about MSC no longer booking singles and only yesterday we were talking to a frequent MSC cruiser that only books MSC because of its great single rates on a limited 6 cabins. There is only one thing that this gentleman did mention that SHOULD NOT have any bearing on whether one can or cannot book a 'single' cabin. He mentioned the travel agents first name and many of us are familiar with this young lady as she only sells MSC.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Also took a 5 minute video walk through at a brisk pace 360 degrees of the Market Place buffet this morning showing that 7 am is the time to go to breakfast. NO lines, plenty of tables, very few guests, immediate service.

You could never do a "brisk pace" walk thru the Market Place buffet while it was busy. So many people and very slippery floors. 

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

You could never do a "brisk pace" walk thru the Market Place buffet while it was busy. So many people and very slippery floors. 

Never hazarded a trip through during peak times to know any better. I borrowed this photo of yours to make an illustration and for some reason I have a hard time uploading my photos until I get home. But a door similar to this one you took of the one from the Sports Bar, and adjacent to the Sports Bar is now revealed. Walking the decks indoors and scoping out anything new, I tried to get a peek into the pool table room that was all papered up and as 'LUCK' would have it 3 workers came out of this 'pool table room' while I was looking through the 'key hole'. The mystery is solved of the Sports Bar closings and this pool table room next door. No more pool table. I looked into as they were exiting and asked them about the pool table. No more pool table. The room is stuffed with new gambling slot type machines. The Sports bar removed tables for eating and replaced by 38 of these new machines still being programmed. I think it is now a non-smoking gambling venue/Sports Bar.

IMG_7046.thumb.jpeg.a3b626fd745ee71095893a4ba5f3a476.jpg

• Like 2

Ocean Cay was still too hot to really enjoy by many. Asked how everything went at Ocean House which is a microcosm of the rest of the island. There were wind gusts which were pleasant but this prohibited the use of the umbrellas at the restaurant. It was pleasant until 11 am, then the guests lined up to catch the trolley back to the ship skipping lunch On the island. We found the pergola intolerable at about the same time and opted for room service.

Heard that the buffet on World America will not be self serving. Coming from the YC department head I assume he was speaking about the buffet in the Yacht Club. Similar to the Market Place Emporium on Explora. Nice.

Tonight we saw a really bad act in Le Cabaret Rouge called "Sweet and Sour Circus". This gentleman was doing a routine reminiscent of a trained seal with balancing a red ball on his nose and head. Doesn't MSC prescreen these acts ? This act can be missed as well as the"Guiness Book of World Records" night which they throw in to give the 'real' entertainers a night off.

• Haha 1