Mystery Island DIY?

Korimako

You can certainly swim and sunbake on the white sand.

You can also take a walk around the whole Island as it rather small and have a look at the airstrip.

On the day I was there the local school children had come from the nearest island and they sang some songs for the passengers. There was a donation bowl in front of them and I'm sure any amount small or large would be welcome so remember to take some cash or coins.

Others locals sold lobsters that they cooked for you, other passengers told me they were very good.

There will be a continuous shuttle service run from the ship so you can return back anytime.

47 minutes ago, Korimako said:

What can I expect if I choose not to do a Princess shore excursion? Can I just sunbathe and swim for a few hours? I presume the tender will return regularly to the ship and I won't have to wait hours to get back?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes you can definitely do Mystery Island in Vanuatu on your own.

You would get more info relevant to the area on the Australia & New Zealand board's.

• Like 1

I have been  to Mystery Island twice and both times there has been a very extensive market set up by the locals who come from the neighboring island . There has also been various cultural performances throughout the day. Easy swimming and snorkelling . A relaxing day on an island with a fascinating history.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Korimako said:

What can I expect if I choose not to do a Princess shore excursion? Can I just sunbathe and swim for a few hours? I presume the tender will return regularly to the ship and I won't have to wait hours to get back?

Thanks for any advice.

When we were there in 2019 there was a small bar that had clamshell shades, each with two loungers, that you could hire. It was on a lovely part of the beach with a few coral formations just off the beach if you wanted to do some easy snorkeling. There was a lovely little market as well. The shuttles ran to and from the ship all day. We went over fairly early and returned to the ship early afternoon so there wasn't much of a queue to get back. That was on Ruby. 

• Like 1

The experience will that of calling at Princess Cays, but no food service provided by Princess and ship board drink package does apply to drinks on the island.  Nothing/no one there until the cruise ship passengers arrive.  Mystery Island is totally secluded and pristine.  The beach has shallow water.  Tender service is continuous, but the peak time was lunch

Just now, Korimako said:

What is Princess Cays???

Princess' "private island" in the Bahamas.  Not technically an island, but a piece of property on a Bahamian Island exclusively for the use of Princess passengers.  This a popular call for Princess' Caribbean itineraries.

On 9/24/2023 at 3:32 PM, Korimako said:

Thanks for any advice.

Presumably you're talking about Mystery Island - Vanuatu. Yes, the tender goes back and forward all day. We've been there 4-times. Usually we head back to the ship for a late lunch with the intention of going back to the Island after lunch.. but then end up staying on the ship in the arvo. But you can go back and forward as often as you like. Snorkeling on the other side of the island can be very good. There will be stalls over there selling refreshments and the usual touristry rubbish. Young girls get their hair braided.. and you can get a massage if that's your thing. Just about any of the excursions the ship is offering.. can be booked direct once you get over there (e.g. if you want to go out to the reef, go fishing etc - you can book it there).