BTimmer's Almost Live Grand South America 10/7/23 -12/19/2023

Btimmer

Bon voyage! Looking forward to your posts and photos as we thought about taking this cruise.

Florin was on the Maasdam with us. I have a photo with him as we left the ship in Auckland immediately before Covid. After that no one was allowed off the ship until San Diego. Too bad for the Australians and NZ who were supposed to leave in Papeete.

He was also the Maasdam hotel manager on the Maasdam summer 2019 to Japan and fall 2018 to Easter Island.

Just now, ScottishMaid said:

Bon voyage! Looking forward to your posts and photos as we thought about taking this cruise.

Florin was on the Maasdam with us. I have a photo with him as we left the ship in Auckland immediately before Covid. After that no one was allowed off the ship until San Diego. Too bad for the Australians and NZ who were supposed to leave in Papeete.

He was also the Maasdam hotel manager on the Maasdam summer 2019 to Japan and fall 2018 to Easter Island.

Yup, he remembered us and I'm sure we will chat more.

4 hours ago, wynkys said:

Looking forward to following your trip once again.

Let's hope the Captain and crew find the missing 'C' for whoever did

the cake decoration.

I am so glad that someone else noticed that too! "C" !!!!

Today's details are found in my blog, but I'd like to comment on a couple things from today.

IMG_6305.thumb.png.1e7463d20fd23f4c45db809b1643c287.png

Our morning position

The lecture series is looking to be good.  Tom Goltz was very good today talking about Spanish Galleon Treasures.  Also the entertainment line up is really strong and fortunately doesn't feature the Step One Dancers at all for at least the first couple weeks.

The BLOCK PARTY was a terrific idea and we had a great time meeting our neighbors.  I'd like to see that duplicated on other voyages, especially the longer ones.

We learned today that our extremely late departure yesterday was due to a last minute medical emergency that required the evacuation of the affected party.

I didn't find the missing "c" but we did find a new cake.

IMG_6713.thumb.jpeg.cc6c38fb4ed961b46b7e61cdb3600bc4.jpeg

Last, our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet went very well.  Thanks for Evie, we had very nice nametags and very nice give away bags for our drawing.  Thanks, Evie, for doing this even those you weren't able to cruise with us.  Everyone sends their greeting to you.  I didn't get a chance to take any pictures of the event, but I know others did and I hope they'll post them or send them to me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Guest Relations Manager Joanne is personable, efficient and just fantasic.  Photo in Tim's blog shows her with HM Florin. I wonder if these two will eventually take over these positions on the WC? Would be an excellent choice!

Henk will have to retire for that to happen! But it's nice that HAL has strength on the bench.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Btimmer said:

The BLOCK PARTY was a terrific idea and we had a great time meeting our neighbors.  I'd like to see that duplicated on other voyages, especially the longer ones.

The block parties are a great addition, but I believe they are just for the grand cruises. Post pandemic they replaced what was a huge sailaway party with an open bar. Too risky back when masks were mandated, so they went to the block party (which I heard was an idea from another cruise line).

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

We are in an inside cabin.

Thanks for the feedback.

We have been wondering if you were able to snag an upgrade. That cabin forward of the Medical Center is not what I would expect for an assignement for a high Mariner like you! Things seem to have chnaged a lot after Covid in the way HAL handles guarentees!

Your blog is truly a great one: enjoy all the commetary (abundant details!) and photos.

Edited by SilvertoGold

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

We have been wondering if you were able to snag an upgrade. That cabin forward of the Medical Center is not what I would expect for an assignement for a high Mariner like you! Things seem to have chnaged a lot after Covid in the way HAL handles guarentees!

Your blog is truly a great one: enjoy all the commetary (abundant details!) and photos.

We chose the cabin and declined upgrades because friends were to be sailing with us and had the adjoining cabin.  But they had to cancel.  We normally sail inside cabins and this one is fairly large and we'll be satisfied with it if we end up staying in it.  We're waiting to hear of an upgrade which has to come through Seattle as we are on for the 73 days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We've been to Hell and back here on Grand Cayman Island on a $30/person taxi tour.  I helped a fellow passenger get her international cell plan enabled and we toured the National museum and then got drenched in a passing rain shower before enjoying a meat patty (like an empanada) at the port.  Its only around 90°f.

IMG_6313.thumb.jpeg.29bd74018c6c83ee3a5263078b35bcab.jpeg

IMG_6315.thumb.jpeg.b4e7a8450c7d39a82c89aac9a98c4ed5.jpeg

IMG_6322.thumb.jpeg.95ac9188c5af623c2ce52f0ceb3ba6fb.jpeg

IMG_6332.thumb.jpeg.7bd6a3e1bbd9da88528b1d11c6679f15.jpeg

IMG_6346.thumb.jpeg.9db87ad85dd170e00775e5e90b3a716f.jpeg

IMG_6348.thumb.jpeg.76bf239544aaf0c6d545514dbb6dd07d.jpeg

IMG_6352.thumb.jpeg.f2f0c06f4b4b6927028ba9c5f406d11e.jpeg

IMG_6353.thumb.jpeg.32f5d67bed79982da29023a2926906a1.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Tonight after coming back to the stateroom we were surprized with a few gifts: a heavy shopping bag, a travel case, a sun hat, a wallet, and a 7,000 milliamp portable battery.  It's the first time we've received anything quite like this.

IMG_6383.thumb.jpeg.5164797fca01830f94db72feeff3e661.jpeg

• Like 13