BTimmer's Almost Live Grand South America 10/7/23 -12/19/2023

Btimmer

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

@scubacruiserx2 Thx, I have previously viewed your entire trip report.  I am looking for a reliable tour operator to see penguins from Punta Arenas.  I would prefer not to use the public ferry.  I have found some that require full payment and will not refund if the ship doesn’t make the port.  I’ve found others that leave early in my the morning, prior to our 10 am arrival.  I’m wait listed for the very expensive HAL tour.  Just st trying to see penguins at every possible port in case we miss some of our stops.

This is who we went with and we met the cab at the gate to take us there . We didn't pay until we got there but we did book in advance . $ 112 p.p.

https://www.soloexpediciones.com/islamagdalena

Edited by scubacruiserx2

34 minutes ago, Ellencruise said:

Have you looked at your roll call? There may be some private tour recommendations. March 23 we landed in Falklands and took a 4 hour tour out to Volunteer Point

Thank you, I am active on our Roll Call and many of us are looking for a penguin tour in Puerto Arenas.  I have a private tour booked for Volunteer Point.

27 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Unfortunately,  the only tour they offer departs at 6:30, we arrive at 10.

We're seeing more and more icebergs as well as an expedition ship.  Overnight at 1:39am we passed through the 60° South latitude and are officially in the Antarctic! We're cruising at 10 knots due to whales being spotted.

IMG_8891.thumb.jpeg.3e692da19f9de5c08a6154ffda966add.jpeg

IMG_8892.thumb.jpeg.dc72108bd77d4bce4ff7d948f9ccaec6.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

And it's getting much better.  I've spotted a couple of whales also.

The icebergs are worth the price of admission!

Not to downplay the whales,but I have seen them all over the east and west coast USA and in Alaska, they are amazing creatures for sure, but those ICEBERGS!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Btimmer thanks again for your trip report but especially your blog.  Congratulations on getting caught up!

A few questions about Puerto Arenas,  seems like you just walked off the ship.  Is it sometimes a tender port?  What is the Chilean entry document?  I will be sailing Buenos Aires to Santiago.  Is it something the ship provides or do I have to take care of it before I leave home? Sorry your tour wasn’t worth $75.

Your tour if Ushuaia didn’t sound great either.  Any comments on the private tour operators?

Sorry about your Seahawks.  Good to know I’ll be able to watch my Ravens in the  Super Bowl during our sea day between the Drake passage and Antartica.🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Hi @Btimmer thanks again for your trip report but especially your blog.  Congratulations on getting caught up!

A few questions about Puerto Arenas,  seems like you just walked off the ship.  Is it sometimes a tender port?  What is the Chilean entry document?  I will be sailing Buenos Aires to Santiago.  Is it something the ship provides or do I have to take care of it before I leave home? Sorry your tour wasn’t worth $75.

Your tour if Ushuaia didn’t sound great either.  Any comments on the private tour operators?

Sorry about your Seahawks.  Good to know I’ll be able to watch my Ravens in the  Super Bowl during our sea day between the Drake passage and Antartica.🤣

First, the Usuaia tour was excellent and we've done it twice! I highly recommend it over taking a 40 passenger bus through HAL.

The Chilean document is no cost and can be done via WiFi or a paper copy.

Punta Arenas would only be a tender port if the long dock is full (it happened to the Volendam earlier this year).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 0106 said:

A few questions about Puerto Arenas,  seems like you just walked off the ship.  Is it sometimes a tender port?

There are a couple of docks. One is a couple of blocks from the sights and very handy, the other is a couple of miles east. We have been stuck at the far dock both times we visited Punta Arenas, vexed me to see a competitor's cruise ship docked at the good spot.

Those iceberg pictures are building the excitement up for sure!!  Reading your blog as well as Jo Johnston's ( @WriterOnDeck) and others posting, I am very convinced that I want to go on this itinerary after my 2025 trip that is already planned!  Maybe November or December of 2025.......a long way off but can't wait too long for many reasons!

Thanks to all posting for being and inspiration to Just Do It!!! 😁

~Nancy

• Like 3

Morning has broken on the first day of our Antarctic Experience.  Blue skies, icebergs, rugged mountains draped in clouds and quite windy.  Yes, it's going to be a wonderful day. We're currently in the Bransfield Strait.  I'll have more pictures throughout the day.IMG_8921.thumb.jpeg.4e0ce7a4e1cb9dc02994ce967e88cb00.jpeg

IMG_8920.thumb.jpeg.fcec456a03cd7d1d139d2c5614b694e4.jpeg

IMG_8919.thumb.png.3c4be6bfa6e7453abb9666b9b6a85658.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's our first views of the continent of Antarctica plus evidence of the overnight snow.  The icebergs are getting much closer.  We're currently in the Gerlache Channel.  The sights are definitely majestic.IMG_8929.thumb.jpeg.d63e352bc7bb954645cffd2ae161762e.jpeg

IMG_8926.thumb.jpeg.effab7f81c0cc2a4616fb751d3ad74a9.jpeg

IMG_8927.thumb.jpeg.614914b1d0bc35178cfb16802b744a36.jpeg

IMG_8930.thumb.jpeg.909705fb0f634ba52b3117e490b9c5ec.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@BtimmerLoving your photos.  Snow! How cold is it?  Want to be prepared for when we are there in February.  Also, what app are you using to track your ship?  Thanks 

I'm in shorts and it's around 32°f outside. Just bring layers and a good raincoat or similar.  Many brought bulky parkas, but I don't see the need.

i'm tracking with 2 Apps:  Polar Steps for the big picture and Pocket Earth for more detail.  I'll post today's track later today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2