parent consent form for minors

marco_polo11

There have been instances in the past where one parent travelling with their own children have been turned away at embarkation for lack of proper paperwork.  My paperwork has been checked more thoroughly in Canada than almost anywhere else.  I wouldn't chance the kids being disappointed at checkin.  Obviously all the advice about how easy/cheap notaries in the U.S. don't help you - even in the U.S. the fees vary widely state to state and have nothing to do with how much your grandchildren's parents will pay in Canada.  Hope it all works out!  

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. I've decided not to risk getting hassled at customs and will get the two consent forms signed by both sets of parents. The notary will charge $40 for the first signature and $25 for the second on each form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marco_polo11 said:

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. I've decided not to risk getting hassled at customs and will get the two consent forms signed by both sets of parents. The notary will charge $40 for the first signature and $25 for the second on each form.

Very glad to hear that, as from our experience, without the paperwork we would not have been able to go on the cruise.  Sorry it's so darn expensive!

• 3 weeks later...

To update everyone...I'm on the cruise now with my two grandkids. Check-in at Vancouver cruise terminal was smooth and easy. We just breezed through customs, no questions asked about the kids...though at 15 and 16, they look like young adults. I had the consent forms in my hand but wasn't asked for them. So, all the fretting and expenses were for nought. But I know it all comes down to the customs officer you get. And it's not worth the hassle to risk getting a picky one.

• Like 5