parent consent form for minors

marco_polo11

I have booked a short 3 day cruise with Princess from Vancouver to San Francisco. I will be taking two grandkids, a 15 and a 16 year old, with me. One child is from my son, and one is from my daughter. We are Canadians who will be traveling to the US. I read in the confirmation email that I will need consent forms signed by both sets of parents of each child and have them notarized. The four signatures witnessed by a notary public will add a lot to the cost of this short cruise.

Does anyone know from experience if US customs is sticky about having notarized consent forms for each child? The info that I have read in the CBP site is that it's not compulsory to have the consent form notarized. But getting it notarized is recommended 'as border officials may be less likely to question it's authenticity'.

Notary Publics in the US only charge a small fee - a few dollars at most - for their services.  Are the costs different in Canada?

If the g-kids live far from you, I'm thinking you can have the forms signed by their parents where ever they live. The notarization will indeed make it easier to pass through international borders.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

Notary Publics in the US only charge a small fee - a few dollars at most - for their services.  Are the costs different in Canada?

If the g-kids live far from you, I'm thinking you can have the forms signed by their parents where ever they live. The notarization will indeed make it easier to pass through international borders.

I wish it was only a few dollars. I wouldn't bother with this topic then. No, the NP that has done previous work for me has quoted me $50 per signature,  ie $200. I'm afraid this might be standard but I will check around. 

51 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Our bank does notary services for free.

This is worth a try. Thanks.

I have never paid for a notary in the US (I was actually one back in the day, my company paid for me to become one). I know some charge a small fee but the ones at banks are free (and I think at ups locations, plus most folks know someone). Make sure you get written permit make medical decisions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marco_polo11 said:

I wish it was only a few dollars. I wouldn't bother with this topic then. No, the NP that has done previous work for me has quoted me $50 per signature,  ie $200. I'm afraid this might be standard but I will check around. 

Some UPS and Fedex stores here in the US also have notaries for a small fee. 

28 minutes ago, marco_polo11 said:

I've pretty well decided to bite the bullet and pay for the notary. I don't want to risk any hassle at customs. I was just hoping someone who was in this situation before would tell me an unnotarized form is fine.

We used  our bank Manager  to notarize  a document  

see if your bank is authorized to do so

6 hours ago, marco_polo11 said:

I think you need a new Notary! While the going rate in Vancouver can easily be $50, even $60 for the first signature, that includes the whole 'setup' - your appointment slot, time to print stuff if it's a soft copy, photocopying things (NB: usually an extra charge per page if they do the printing, so always better to print at home and bring paper to sign!), and (most importantly!) reading the docs carefully, explaining legal terminology etc. to ensure you the client fully understand what's being signed.

Since much of that does not need replicated even for multiple different docs - and especially not for identical documents where literally the only difference is name of child and parents - multiple signatures in a session have a significantly reduced cost. Both the notaries near me - David Watts on Hastings St and Dan Park on 2nd Ave - drop their fee to less than half per additional sig, even on totally different documents.

As Brits abroad, with UK and US based property and investments, we've had to deal with notarized copies of all sorts of documents over the years both here and Ontario - we have never found ANY notary who charged 'rack rate' for all signatures in a session. Almost every time either of us needs something, we both do - so we've been in a similar position to you with multiple names per doc and multiple docs. Mostly when it's both of us signing the same doc there is zero extra charge as there's still only one notary stamp and literally seconds of extra 'watch a signature be written' time. Whoever your current person is, they are screwing you over unless you intend to book four separate sessions with each parent visiting them individually!

Given that you're not just cruising with the kids, but taking them one-way over the border I also feel that even if not required, notarized signatures is going to alleviate much of the concern CBP might have - having a print-out of their return tickets to bring them home from SF will also help! We have divorced and widowed friends, resident both sides of the border, and it's been a crapshoot for them regardless of which direction as to how much hassle they get - both CBP and CBSA almost always ask for the relevant documentation, and in the case of the divorcees even call the ex-spouse to verify permission sometimes... so be sure to include a contact number and remind your kids that if an unknown number calls them the day you're embarking to pick the darn phone up!!!

I would also try your bank first in case you can score a freebie though - given that this is a cut & dried situation, standard forms provided, you don't need things explained, copied, etc., you just need the 'rubber stamp' to minimise risk of friction at the border, all the extra stuff that a good full-time notary offers really isn't required.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, martincath said:

I think you need a new Notary! While the going rate in Vancouver can easily be $50, even $60 for the first signature, that includes the whole 'setup' - your appointment slot, time to print stuff if it's a soft copy, photocopying things (NB: usually an extra charge per page if they do the printing, so always better to print at home and bring paper to sign!), and (most importantly!) reading the docs carefully, explaining legal terminology etc. to ensure you the client fully understand what's being signed.

Since much of that does not need replicated even for multiple different docs - and especially not for identical documents where literally the only difference is name of child and parents - multiple signatures in a session have a significantly reduced cost. Both the notaries near me - David Watts on Hastings St and Dan Park on 2nd Ave - drop their fee to less than half per additional sig, even on totally different documents.

As Brits abroad, with UK and US based property and investments, we've had to deal with notarized copies of all sorts of documents over the years both here and Ontario - we have never found ANY notary who charged 'rack rate' for all signatures in a session. Almost every time either of us needs something, we both do - so we've been in a similar position to you with multiple names per doc and multiple docs. Mostly when it's both of us signing the same doc there is zero extra charge as there's still only one notary stamp and literally seconds of extra 'watch a signature be written' time. Whoever your current person is, they are screwing you over unless you intend to book four separate sessions with each parent visiting them individually!

Given that you're not just cruising with the kids, but taking them one-way over the border I also feel that even if not required, notarized signatures is going to alleviate much of the concern CBP might have - having a print-out of their return tickets to bring them home from SF will also help! We have divorced and widowed friends, resident both sides of the border, and it's been a crapshoot for them regardless of which direction as to how much hassle they get - both CBP and CBSA almost always ask for the relevant documentation, and in the case of the divorcees even call the ex-spouse to verify permission sometimes... so be sure to include a contact number and remind your kids that if an unknown number calls them the day you're embarking to pick the darn phone up!!!

I would also try your bank first in case you can score a freebie though - given that this is a cut & dried situation, standard forms provided, you don't need things explained, copied, etc., you just need the 'rubber stamp' to minimise risk of friction at the border, all the extra stuff that a good full-time notary offers really isn't required.

Thank you. This is valuable information. Yes, I will check with my banks first.

Unfortunately both sets of parents are divorced. So it will take 4 separate visits to the notary to get their signatures witnessed. I guess that's why the fee is so high. I will talk to the notary again to try to negotiate a discount, especially since it is a cut and dried situation.

14 minutes ago, marco_polo11 said:

Unfortunately both sets of parents are divorced. So it will take 4 separate visits to the notary to get their signatures witnessed. I guess that's why the fee is so high. I will talk to the notary again to try to negotiate a discount, especially since it is a cut and dried situation.

No worries. Personally I'd be bumping this to the parents to arrange and pay for - you're already doing them a favour taking the grandkids on vacation! - but if you're set on covering the costs insist on at least each pair of parents acting grown-up enough to be in the same room at the same time so you only need one visit for each GKs set of docs... unless by any chance anyone involved has sole custody? A copy of the court docs confirming sole custody and all you need is the signature of that one parent to satisfy even the pickiest of border agents!

• Like 1

Notaries are usually free here.  That said, we once took seven grandkids on a cruise (RCI)--some time ago--and we did get all the parental permission forms, all notarized, went through all the required bells and whistles.  

At check-in, they thoroughly scrutinized and checked out each child separately, matching them with their forms.  We would not have been able to sail otherwise.

I know it's a real pain--one of grandkids had an absent father who no one even had an address for (we eventually got that figured out)--but it was a necessity.  They also did a much less thorough check at customs coming back.  

Maybe they aren't always this particular, but in our case, they certainly were. I think, especially since you are also crossing the border, I'd be afraid to chance not getting it all done.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

2 hours ago, marco_polo11 said:

Here in the USA, we can get properly notarized "Zoom"-type service.  One logs in, reads the T&C (of course, but it's nothing tricky), and then one is prompted to upload some required documents, including the document to be notarized.  These may vary a bit by state or purpose (?).  What we've needed to do is hold up the front and then the back of our drivers licenses (for the person whose signature is to be notarized).  Then one is connected to some person sitting in their pj's (just kidding, but could be!) who asks a few routine questions to document that you state you understand what the documents are for, etc., and that you are answering voluntarily.  (Er, that's sort of hard really to do, with only one person's face showing, but I digress.... It just seemed silly under the specific circumstances.)

Then you can download the notarized form and they also email a copy, so it's easy to retain a copy.

One of our financial vendors seems to have a dedicated arrangement, so something must display when the notary answers the call, as they always seem familiar with the specific docs we are using (to give a power of attorney or remove money, etc.).  But the same online notary service, using their general online link, can handle notary services for any docs.

The fee is $25, and it's not paid until the end, so if there are any questions or snafus, no charge.

Perhaps there's something like that available?  It may not be free, but it's less than $50 each, plus it's *very* convenient - to put it mildly!

GC

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Here in the USA, we can get properly notarized "Zoom"-type service.  One logs in, reads the T&C (of course, but it's nothing tricky), and then one is prompted to upload some required documents, including the document to be notarized.  These may vary a bit by state or purpose (?).  What we've needed to do is hold up the front and then the back of our drivers licenses (for the person whose signature is to be notarized).  Then one is connected to some person sitting in their pj's (just kidding, but could be!) who asks a few routine questions to document that you state you understand what the documents are for, etc., and that you are answering voluntarily.  (Er, that's sort of hard really to do, with only one person's face showing, but I digress.... It just seemed silly under the specific circumstances.)

Then you can download the notarized form and they also email a copy, so it's easy to retain a copy.

One of our financial vendors seems to have a dedicated arrangement, so something must display when the notary answers the call, as they always seem familiar with the specific docs we are using (to give a power of attorney or remove money, etc.).  But the same online notary service, using their general online link, can handle notary services for any docs.

The fee is $25, and it's not paid until the end, so if there are any questions or snafus, no charge.

Perhaps there's something like that available?  It may not be free, but it's less than $50 each, plus it's *very* convenient - to put it mildly!

GC

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll look into it. It may get a little complicated though in our case trying to coordinate two sets of divorced parents.

On 9/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, marco_polo11 said:

but only the parents need to go to the notary. I agree that this shouldn’t be on you to pay for. You are taking their children on a cruise and they should deal w the legal documents needed like passports and consent forms. Also, agree with the other posters that my experience is that a bank that I have an account at will notorize for free.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

but only the parents need to go to the notary. I agree that this shouldn’t be on you to pay for. You are taking their children on a cruise and they should deal w the legal documents needed like passports and consent forms. Also, agree with the other posters that my experience is that a bank that I have an account at will notorize for free.

What a local bank, including a branch where one has an account, will do about notarizing "outside documents" seems to vary.

Our bank branch, where we've had accounts for ages and ages, used to notarize anything we brought it, and for no charge.

Then it changed several years ago (maybe more than 10 years ago, by now?).  They will *not* notarize any outside documents, no matter what.  Full stop.

Very annoying.

At least in our area (close-in suburb of major metro area), it's non trivial to find a place.  Fortunately, there is a UPS branch that tends to have a notary working there.  Otherwise, I don't know.  And they charge (something like $25 last I remember).

So the Zoom-type services have become especially helpful.

GC

On 9/24/2023 at 1:20 AM, marco_polo11 said:

I have booked a short 3 day cruise with Princess from Vancouver to San Francisco. I will be taking two grandkids, a 15 and a 16 year old, with me. One child is from my son, and one is from my daughter. We are Canadians who will be traveling to the US. I read in the confirmation email that I will need consent forms signed by both sets of parents of each child and have them notarized. The four signatures witnessed by a notary public will add a lot to the cost of this short cruise.

Does anyone know from experience if US customs is sticky about having notarized consent forms for each child? The info that I have read in the CBP site is that it's not compulsory to have the consent form notarized. But getting it notarized is recommended 'as border officials may be less likely to question it's authenticity'.

@marco_polo11

Since the situation regarding notarized forms for consent for minor children to travel and medical treatment without parent or legal guardian are often discussed on the Family Cruises forum, I have moved your thread there. Hopefully others there that have been in your situation will be able to help you.

Also, you might try a new thread on the Canadian Cruisers forum where your fellow Canadians may be able to help with information.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

3 hours ago, Host Kat said:

@marco_polo11

Since the situation regarding notarized forms for consent for minor children to travel and medical treatment without parent or legal guardian are often discussed on the Family Cruises forum, I have moved your thread there. Hopefully others there that have been in your situation will be able to help you.

Also, you might try a new thread on the Canadian Cruisers forum where your fellow Canadians may be able to help with information.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Thank you!

• Thanks 1