Pride Sept 10 Dover to Rome - emphasis on Carnival excursions

Joanne G.

Background and pre-cruise:

I followed Analog187’s live thread, as I was on the same cruise.   It’s always interesting to read other people’s impressions and experiences.   I was particularly pleased at his conclusion that despite low expectations, they enjoyed the Carnival onboard experience.    Since his port activities were all independent, I decided to share my experiences with Carnival excursions, which I took in every port.   Carnival is offering this same itinerary in August, 2024, plus most of the same ports in a reverse itinerary in June, so perhaps my information will help others considering either of these itineraries. 

Some background – I’ve been on 20+ cruises on all the major U.S.-based lines except Disney, mostly in the Caribbean with my sister, but also Hawaii, the Mediterranean, and Scandinavia with friends.    For this cruise, my usual cruise partners weren’t available, so I booked as a solo.  Earlier this summer I was solo on the Pride B2B July 9th and July 21st, the cruises that were altered due to the mechanical issue with one of the azipods.   That’s another story – well reported at the time.   Being back on the Pride was like coming home.

I flew to London on the 7th, arriving on the 8th.  I stayed at the Belgrave, on Belgrave Road.  I picked this hotel for its proximity to Victoria Coach Station, as I had booked the Carnival bus to Dover from there.   The hotel was pleasant, attractive, reasonably priced, had functioning air conditioning, and suited my needs for 2 nights.   The room was tiny, but that’s not a surprise in expensive London, and as I was solo, I probably got their smallest room.

On the day I landed, it was hot, hot, hot in London.   Like Caribbean hot!   While waiting for my room to be ready, I visited the Sky Garden, which is an indoor public area of plants and trees, with a bar, a café and a fancy restaurant at the top of one of the skyscrapers.   It’s a lovely place providing great 360-degree views of the city.   Admission is free, but timed entry tickets need to be reserved in advance.  They are released a week in advance, and they go quickly. 

The next day, I had pre-booked a round-trip boat ride from Westminster to Kew Botanical Gardens.  It was another day of record-breaking heat, but it was a little cooler on the water.   The boat ride was longer than I expected, almost 2 hours, but it was enjoyable to see parts of the city from the river that I hadn’t seen in my walks on previous visits.  Like New York and Paris, London is a city of bridges, all unique.   The gardens are huge.  I only saw a portion of them before my return boat ride, but with the heat, I wouldn’t have lasted longer even if I didn’t have to catch the boat.   On the grounds of the gardens is Kew Palace, which had been home to King George III for part of his reign.   It was open for visiting at no additional charge. 

Sky Garden is at the top of this building. 

IMG_3158.thumb.JPEG.1caad5483aabcd77237b4972c71f4c03.JPEGIMG_3149.thumb.JPEG.1dda2ede7865c683bd6d89c1ec19a40b.JPEG

IMG_3150.thumb.JPEG.37f4c282f87cb06f8f4ed94faece7f8e.JPEGIMG_3153.thumb.JPEG.07a7f00001105df918ee50418f313792.JPEG

Boarding and first port A Coruña:

Next day – on my way to the ship!   I chose the Carnival bus to Dover for convenience.   I was aware of the other options – private car (expensive for one person), National Express bus, and the train.   The latter two options would have required a taxi ride to the port upon arrival in Dover at the bus or train station and more luggage handling.  Not a big deal, but I liked that the Carnival bus dropped us off at the entrance to the terminal.   I had turned my big bag over to the bus diver at the coach station and next saw it when in was delivered to my cabin.  The convenience was worth the cost to me.    And the security of knowing that had there been issues with traffic or the train causing a delay, Carnival would know I was on my way on one of their buses.   However, the Carnival bus is not for those who like to board early.   My bus (there were more than one) pulled out of the station at noon, and arrived in Dover about 2:30.   That didn’t bother me at all.  I had just spent 21 days on the Pride in July and didn’t need to be first on board in order to explore the ship.  At that late time, I breezed through embarkation, and my cabin was ready.

I had a balcony cabin on deck 7.  I know the Pride is an older ship, and that shows in some places.   But that wasn’t important to me.   This cruise was about the ports.   The décor was typical of older Carnival ships, not exactly elegant, shall we say.   The only Carnival ships I have been on are older ones – Liberty, Freedom, Conquest, Valor, Sunrise, and Splendor.    I find the “more-is-more” style of decorating to be amusing, if not exactly my taste.  

After a very foggy first night, hearing the fog horn every 2 minutes, and then a relaxing sea day, the first port was A Coruña, for which we had to set our clocks an hour ahead.   I picked Carnival’s “on your own” excursion to Santiago de Compostela.   We had a guide on the bus who shared information on the history and culture of the area.   We were dropped off near the tourist information booth (with a public bathroom), close to the main square by the famous cathedral.    We had considerable time to explore on our own.   I visited the impressive cathedral and strolled nearby streets, browsing shops and people watching.  I found the city easy to navigate on my own.   It’s particular fascinating to watch the street from where pilgrims who have walked the Camino enter the square and see the cathedral for the first time.  You could see the emotion in some of their faces.   

This area of Spain has a Celtic component to their history.   Hence the bagpiper.IMG_0058.jpg.3c765e18fcf19eb31b4cba7874c3ca93.jpgIMG_3301.thumb.JPEG.f4260521fea0240633f0a5deb1eadad5.JPEGIMG_3310.thumb.JPEG.31675e77ace5d1c83540f5c4cf7cc0b9.JPEGIMG_3352.thumb.JPEG.9dcf136a1fcc5bbafcd0d8f884a61079.JPEGIMG_3351.thumb.JPEG.4aff418d4c66af61c27199751cfc66e9.JPEGIMG_3313.thumb.JPEG.1b23eb11bc2b4a030c74eef46a55f48f.JPEGIMG_3369.thumb.JPEG.09fa5d82a0bf865e326ee13b49e3df29.JPEGIMG_3373.thumb.JPEG.830e39bf9847a044784e61cf43157ad5.JPEG

Second port Leixoes/Porto:

We set our clocks back for the next two ports in Portugal.   In Leixoes, I did Carnival’s “on your own” excursion to Porto, again with a guide on the bus providing information about the area.   Porto was bigger than I expected, and it was mobbed.   Because of the size and the crowds, I found it harder to navigate than Santiago de Compostela.   Thank goodness for GPS.   I wanted to see the train station famous for its blue tile décor, and I found it.   I used the public bathroom in the station, though there was small cost of €.50.  (Yes, I will mention the bathroom options, as that can be a big deal on excursions lasting 5 or so hours.)   I tried to find my way down to the waterfront (Douro River), but I kept getting blocked by construction or dead ends or neighborhoods that didn’t look appealing to me.   So, I went back to exploring streets that radiated out from our ultimate meeting point, taking a break for some coffee and a snack at one point.   I hadn’t pre-arranged to visit the famous Lello book store, and the line was so ridiculously long that I quickly gave up on seeing it on this visit.   Porto is VERY hilly.   Be aware of that if you have mobility issues.   But a "tuk-tuk" (last photo) is an option. 

IMG_3409.thumb.JPEG.50ff8ba2dd70f3e1320e7117fb4af64a.JPEGIMG_3412.thumb.JPEG.8efe3300a955f6d7bf30cb1be785c027.JPEGIMG_3418.thumb.JPEG.c7eb1983978caed404aee9369e33927f.JPEGIMG_3437.thumb.JPEG.722cf47a7333dd6588a0523697084d92.JPEGIMG_3433.thumb.JPEG.27c70c178a87d142d9ff0eaa312dee17.JPEG

• Like 1

Third port Lisbon:

For the Lisbon stop, I booked an excursion to Sintra, Cascais, and Guincho.   Guincho was simply a photo stop at a huge Atlantic beach, with waves big enough for surfers.   We had free time in both the other towns, much more time in Sintra than in Cascais.   I believe the extremely heavy traffic between these stops reduced the amount of time Cascais.   Sintra is a cute little town, again hilly, and fairly crowded, though not as mobbed as Porto.   There is a public bathroom near the main plaza, with an attendant who appeared to expect a small tip.   We did not visit the Pena Palace, sadly.   Cascais is a waterfront town, attractive and pleasant for strolling.    I thought Lisbon and the surrounding area looked like a place I would enjoy for a longer stay someday.  A connection to our first port was that I saw pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela on the Portuguese route.

IMG_3483.JPEG

IMG_3488.JPEG

IMG_3490.JPEG

IMG_3494.JPEG

IMG_3496.JPEG

IMG_3499.JPEG

IMG_3508.JPEG

IMG_3509.JPEG

IMG_3514.JPEG

IMG_3527.JPEG

Fourth port Cadiz:

Clocks forward again as we returned to Spain.  In Cadiz, I booked an excursion to the “white villages” of Vejer de la Frontera (very hilly!) and Conil de la Frontera (on the ocean).  Both were beautiful.  In Vejer, our guide took us on a walking tour, but we were also free to explore on our own if we preferred.  I stayed with the guide, which made the visit more interesting and kept me from getting lost on the winding streets.   There was a bathroom by the tourist information area where the buses parked - with long lines that caused us to depart later than the official meeting time.  We had some time on our own in Conil.  I walked to the waterfront, admired the beach, and browsed a street market.   

IMG_3580.JPEG

IMG_3585.JPEG

IMG_3587.JPEG

IMG_3607.JPEG

IMG_3616.JPEG

IMG_3637.JPEG

IMG_3650.JPEG

Fifth Port Malaga:

After sailing through the Strait of Gibraltar (at midnight - I missed it), we arrived in Malaga.  I booked the “Best of Malaga” excursion.   We had a short bus ride and our guide took us on a walking tour as we made our way to the first stop, a small museum in the house where Picasso was born and lived as a child.   There were some challenges during the walk.   The tour did not utilize the microphone and receiver system that would have allowed us to hear him better.  As a big group walking through a crowded city, it was hard or impossible to hear him unless you could stay close to him.   Also, he declined to use the big Carnival sign that other guides carried.   OK, so it’s dorky looking, but we were in a crowded area, and it would have been easier to see him and avoid getting separated had he used it.   

The Picasso Museum (in his house - there is a separate art museum with more of his works) is small, and the museum restricts how many people can be inside at a time.  So, our group had to be split in two, with half of us waiting outside the museum while the other half entered.   It seemed like wasted time, but it was the museum’s policy, so we couldn’t blame Carnival or our guide.   From the exhibits in Picasso’s childhood home, it was clear his talent was evident when he was very young. There is a bathroom in the Picasso house. 

Next, we visited the Alcazaba, a fortress from the period of Muslim rule in Spain.   It is imposing and impressive. The description of the tour said we would take an elevator to the top.   There was no mention of an elevator as we entered, and we climbed.   And climbed some more.  And then climbed some more until we reached the top.  Some people did not feel able to complete the climb and stopped partway up and re-joined the rest of us on the way down.  Clearly, Carnival needs to update their description.   I did finally see an elevator when we were on the top, but we were never given an option use it.   But had we taken the elevator, we would have missed the rooms, fountains, and decorations along the way to the top, as well as missing the guide’s information on the history and the structure.   Just be aware that the climb is challenging, due to the steepness and the irregular stone paths and steps.   I was huffing and puffing at times, but I am glad I did it.  I found it fascinating, and there were moments to catch my breath while the guide was explaining something.  There is a bathroom partway up.   The guide didn’t stop for anyone to use it, but those who did were able to catch up to the rest of us further along the way.

After the Alcazaba, we stopped at a restaurant to sample local sherry with a snack of some olives.  It felt good to sit for a while.   No substitutions were allowed, but you could order a beer or soft drink at your own expense. 

Lastly, we stopped at a lookout over the city, with our ship and a bull ring in view.

The statue in the picture below is Pablo Picasso, native son of Malaga.

IMG_3665.JPEG

IMG_3673.JPEG

IMG_3682.JPEG

IMG_3683.JPEG

IMG_3690.JPEG

IMG_3695.JPEG

IMG_3706.JPEG

IMG_3709.JPEG

IMG_3711.JPEG

IMG_3715.JPEG

IMG_3721.JPEG

IMG_3727.JPEG

IMG_3731.JPEG

Sixth port Cartegena:

The last port was Cartegena, and I booked the excursion to an active archeological site of Roman ruins.   This tour was exclusively walking for 4 hours.   No bus ride.  We met on the dock and took off on foot.   This bothered some people who did not feel up to it, and they dropped out.    After a walk through the city to the archeological site and a visit to the associated museum (which had bathrooms), our guide turned us over to a guide from the museum.  We walked through the excavation site and learned about the work being done.   I find these ancient sites to be evocative, thinking of people living and working there centuries ago.  At first look and in photos the site may look like just a pile of rocks, but having the details pointed out by a knowledgeable guide greatly added to the experience.   

After this part of the visit, we returned to the ship by way of another active excavation site, a Roman theater that had been discovered recently, in the 1980’s.   It was up a hill – more climbing!  We viewed it from the outside.  It’s a separate admission to enter.   There would have been time after our walking excursion to return to visit it, but the heat was getting to me, and I passed on doing that.

After the theater, we had about 30 minutes on our own to shop.  Some people left the tour at this point and returned to the ship later on their own.  

Lastly, a much appreciated sea day to relax! 

IMG_3750.JPEG

IMG_3753.JPEG

IMG_3759.JPEG

IMG_3761.JPEG

IMG_3765.JPEG

IMG_3769.JPEG

IMG_3776.JPEG

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3781.JPEG

IMG_3783.JPEG

IMG_3799.JPEG

IMG_3806.JPEG

IMG_3808.jpg

Summary and post-cruise:

I enjoyed all the excursions.  I fully understand others’ preference for exploring on their own.   Ship-sponsored excursions aren’t perfect.  You are usually with a big busload of people.  They often start too early in the morning.  They are often too long or too short.   The ones I did sometimes felt too short, returning to the ship hours before sailing, when I would have enjoyed more time exploring.  Often there was no time to enjoy a local meal, if that is your desire.   But as I had never been to any of these ports, I felt more comfortable with Carnival’s excursions.   Simply personal preference.  All the guides were knowledgeable and proudly shared their love of their respective cities.   

In all the ports, I could easily imagine other enjoyable activities, both independent and other options from Carnival.   There is a lot of history in these ports, and I saw some nice-looking beaches, too.  Some ports are particularly well suited to independent exploration based on where the ship docks. 

If you are considering this itinerary next year, be prepared for 6 ports in a row and 3 time changes back and forth.  I conserved energy by not doing much in the evenings.    And be prepared for hills and heat.  But it’s a great itinerary.  

At the end of the cruise, I took the Carnival bus from the port to central Rome, which departed at 8:00.   No tour, just transportation.   We were dropped off at one of the train stations and took taxis on our own to wherever we needed to be.   I had 2 nights in Rome before flying home.  I stayed at Hotel Lancelot, a Rick Steves recommended accommodation near the colosseum.    Again, I had a tiny room, but it was reasonably priced, the air conditioning worked well, it was a convenient location, continental breakfast was included, and I had no complaints.   Dinner was available at the hotel but not at a restaurant.   It was kind of like cruise dining in that it was communal.  There was one seating at 7:30, and you ate what was being served – no choices.   The evening’s menu was posted at the front desk, so if it didn’t appeal you, you could pass on it.   The hotel was somewhat quaint in that the room key was an actual metal key, attached to a tag with the hotel name and your room number.  You left it at the front desk when you left for the day and retrieved it when you returned.   I wasn’t a fan of that.   I am mentioning it because a lot of people turn to Rick Steves for hotel recommendations, and others may be bothered by it also. 

Rome was very hot and very crowded.   The line to buy tickets to enter the colosseum looked to be the equivalent of several blocks long, in the beating sun.  Thankfully, that was not on my agenda.   While waiting for the room to be ready, I took a walk to the Trevi Fountain.   There are now gates blocking people from getting close to the fountain’s pool.  The pavement in front of the pool is full of the coins that people toss from behind the gates.    Not many people can toss a coin far enough to land in the pool.  Behind the gates, it was a mob of people maybe 5 or 6 deep, jockeying for position for their selfies.   Not really a pleasant experience.

The next day I visited the Borghese Gallery, with its opulent decor and jaw-dropping art collection, including some magnificent Bernini sculptures.   They limit the number of admissions each day, and advance purchase is necessary.   This keeps it from being overly crowded. Tickets sell out quickly.   In June when I made my reservation, general admission was sold out, but I was able to buy a ticket for a guided tour.   It was very informative, as the expert guide pointed out details of major works that I would have missed on my own.  An aside – only tiny purses or bags are allowed.  I had to check my average-sized purse.    As any woman would understand, that was stressful.   I put my wallet in a buttoned pocket on my pants leg and carried my phone but ended up leaving my passport in my purse as it seemed safer there than in my back pocket.   No water bottles allowed inside.  I highly recommend the museum for art lovers but plan accordingly if you go.

As this is very long already, I don’t have much to add about the ship that Analog187 and jimbo5544 (in July) haven’t covered well.  I like the smaller size of the Pride.  It never felt crowded.  I could always find a place to eat in the Lido, and there were rarely more than a few people in the buffet line.  I liked that the salad bar in the Lido was separate from the main buffet line.   There were plenty of deck chairs even on sea days.   I loved the little-used outdoor space on Deck 3 for walking, and the wide area on Deck 10 for walking if Deck 3 was unavailable.    As always on my Carnival cruises, I got a kick out of the low-tech way Carnival can promote its trademark fun, such as a beanbag toss or a ring toss game – people lined up for those!  Who needs a rock-climbing wall or go-cart track LOL.

I will end with this photo of what my cabin steward left me on the last night.  I may have booked as a solo, but Freddy was my roommate.

IMG_3839.JPEG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, backbiter said:

Thanks for your review. Sounds a terrific itinerary. 

I'd say you missed out by not exploring Lisbon. It has to be one of the nicest European capitals (and there is some serious competition).

I would agree about Lisbon. I liked what I saw in all the ports, but Lisbon especially looked like where I would enjoy a land vacation.   

5 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Great review and pics!! Did you use your cell phone to take pics?  Love the composition and crispness!

Thank you for the complement.   Yes, I used my iPhone 12 for all the pictures.   I quit carrying a separate camera after I used it on a trip to Ireland last year and missed the automatic location tags.  I am still trying to remember where I was for some of those Ireland pictures LOL.    Plus, when using my camera, I took the separate step to transfer a copy to my iPad every evening to make sure I didn't lose them in some tech glitch.   So much easier when they automatically get backed up into the Apple cloud.  

• Thanks 1