Food quality Celebrity

amandas friend

46 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

I have downloaded the app, but I don't see the option to choose any ship. My only options pertain to our upcoming cruise in two weeks on the Infinitiy, and menus are not there, just the option to reserve. How do I get to the menus for ships in the same class? Thanks for your help. 

I have the same issue!  I'm not sure how people are able to see current menus - I don't see any options other than for my upcoming cruise.  I don't see a "browse our ships" option.  I have 3 screens to choose from - 1 is the ship for my upcoming booked cruise, 1 is the itinerary for that cruise, and the 3rd is my profile, but nothing about other Celebrity info.

I have an android, if that makes a difference?

Edited by saffy12

21 minutes ago, saffy12 said:

I have the same issue!  I'm not sure how people are able to see current menus - I don't see any options other than for my upcoming cruise.  I don't see a "browse our ships" option.  I have 3 screens to choose from - 1 is the ship for my upcoming booked cruise, 1 is the itinerary for that cruise, and the 3rd is my profile, but nothing about other Celebrity info.

I have an android, if that makes a difference?

It's under the profile, under the name of your next sailing there is "select a different cruise" and then within there at the bottom is "browse our ships". 

2 minutes ago, Spudd said:

It's under the profile, under the name of your next sailing there is "select a different cruise" and then within there at the bottom is "browse our ships". 

Thank you so much!  I can't tell you how much time I spent looking and trying to figure out how people were finding this!   It makes sense now, but not knowing where to look, i couldn't find it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saffy12 said:

Thank you so much!  I can't tell you how much time I spent looking and trying to figure out how people were finding this!   It makes sense now, but not knowing where to look, i couldn't find it!

I got to the point of choosing a ship and an itinerary and then the app went into an endless loop--black screen with an animated X in the middle and no way to return to a previous screen. I deleted the app, reinstalled it, followed the same steps to choose to a different ship, and the same thing happened. I'm on an iphone 13.  

On 9/25/2023 at 12:43 PM, amandas friend said:

I keep reading reports about the food quality going downhill. And, it seems that a lot of people feel that way. Could you elaborate on features that make it decrease in quality-offerings, temperature, service, etc? Thanks 

I'll probably get blasted for my comment but here goes.....we've come a very long way (and I know this can no longer be done because of safety fire issues) from Crepes Suzettes and Bananas Foster prepared tableside by the Maitre'd to complete what was once a 5 star Main Dining Room Celebrity Dinner!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

I'll probably get blasted for my comment but here goes.....we've come a very long way (and I know this can no longer be done because of safety fire issues) from Crepes Suzettes and Bananas Foster prepared tableside by the Maitre'd to complete what was once a 5 star Main Dining Room Celebrity Dinner!!! 

I remember those days as well . . . with my first Celebrity cruise on the Century ship.  Curiously, I was scanning through the Crystal forum posts the other day and saw photos posted of current tableside preparations involving flames and liquor. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 6:23 PM, Jim_Iain said:

It seems that the menus have been slimmed down and some of the favorites are no longer offered.   Food is of course subjective so some reviews may or may not meet your expectation.

For a sampler -   download the app and choose any ship in class ship you are interested in and a current sailing.   You should be able to pop up the menus and see how they meet your expectation.

While we don't sail in regular cabins our experience has been food is served hot and dining staff will work with you on selection and modification of items.   

Remember you also have the Children's Menu with a 4 ounce Filet (available every day). 

Not in the MDR Jim,I often used to order the filet from the kids menu.It wasn’t available on our b2b earlier this month.The fish most nights was just the salmon that’s always available,this was also one of my usual choices had it once on each cruise and it was over cooked! 

16 minutes ago, Stumptowngal said:

I remember those days as well . . . with my first Celebrity cruise on the Century ship.  Curiously, I was scanning through the Crystal forum posts the other day and saw photos posted of current tableside preparations involving flames and liquor. 

Your reply makes me want to do a lttle research. Wondering if Celebrity informing that tableside flames were no longer permitted was actually due to firecode issues, or the fact since they were purchased by RCI, that was now the new Celebrity protocall. To be quite honest, if this is the reason, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

18 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Your reply makes me want to do a lttle research. Wondering if Celebrity informing that tableside flames were no longer permitted was actually due to firecode issues, or the fact since they were purchased by RCI, that was now the new Celebrity protocall. To be quite honest, if this is the reason, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Similars thoughts mentioned on the other board. Some thought it was an insurance issue for the ship and that tableside flames either weren’t allowed at all or would generate a higher cost to the insurance. Maybe the cruise company decided to take the risk anyway and self-insure. 

On 9/26/2023 at 3:41 AM, RichYak said:

Mainly cheaper ingredients like lower quality beef and seafood. Also, fewer menu choices particularly for the appetizer course.

Sailed on Apex in July and completely agree with you. We also found the choice of main courses limited especially if you are GF.

Presentation of most dishes was cafeteria style rather than restaurant standard. We’re not overly fussy but the MDR food was a big step down from our last cruise in 2019. 

Having prebooked most nights in the MDR we ended up canceling and eating at the OVC which was surprisingly very good for dinner. Our dinners in the specialty restaurants (especially Eden) were excellent. 

Edited by Boatharbour
Typo

I did the same cruise on the same ship a year apart and the difference was very noticeable. We still enjoyed our meals but the menu is more limited and some of my favourites where gone. The meat was lower quality from what I saw in my plate. Yes lots of mash potatoes now. Presentation was basic at best, it missed the detail and garnish it had even a year before. It’s not a bad meal but only one dish did I consider fantastic and “inspired”.

• Like 2