Japan cruise

cruiser999

Not when I sailed there. Nor when I sailed in China; there was no regional food. 
Which makes sense as they are trying to please a western palate of the passenger base. You may find a more regional food offering, and I have seen a report of some Korean-style food on a cruise. 

Depending on the cruise they may have one or two nights of local cuisine. They have done these special meal nights or specials selections but as Ruth says, they don't change the regular offerings on the menu. But since they are expanding their "experiences" (test run in Alaska), depending on when and where your cruise is, you may be surprised. 🤞🤞

2 hours ago, cruiser999 said:

I guess on the 14 day circle Japan cruise there's going to be a lot of port days, so we can do that in the ports or on excursions. 

Yes make sure you do! Wonderful seared tuna done over hay in the market in Kochi,   Great ramen in Shirakawa go, and squid in Hirosaki.  

It’s so worth spending at least another week in Japan, we spent two! 

Here’s the crab we chose in Hakkodate 

IMG_1758.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpeg

• Like 7

On our 2023 Westerdam circle cruise of Japan the menus had many of the familiar choices, but there were frequent dishes with oriental ingredients and flavors at most meals in the MDR and sometimes in the Lido. In addition, the Canaletto space hosted a Tamarind pop-up with a number of Asian influenced dishes from the regular Tamarind menu.  It was held on seven of the fourteen nights.  Also, the taco bar near the Dive In was converted to an Asian style noodle bar on several days.

As others' have posted, for true authentic Japanese food (and other great food from around the world) there are great options in every port you visit.  We also used our time in Japan before the trip in sample the local options.  We had  an amazing trip.  Wishing you the same.

Edited by philliesphan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I plan to eat in port whenever I can because I love the food.  On my first business trip to Japan I overate (kind of like I do on a cruise) but when I got back I discovered I had lost a little weight (unlike my cruise experiences).

BTW, for those who like sushi, I ate the sushi in the Lido for lunch quite frequently and thought it was good, until they ran out of soy sauce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2023 at 5:13 AM, philliesphan said:

On our 2023 Westerdam circle cruise of Japan the menus had many of the familiar choices, but there were frequent dishes with oriental ingredients and flavors at most meals in the MDR and sometimes in the Lido. In addition, the Canaletto space hosted a Tamarind pop-up with a number of Asian influenced dishes from the regular Tamarind menu.  It was held on seven of the fourteen nights.  Also, the taco bar near the Dive In was converted to an Asian style noodle bar on several days.

As others' have posted, for true authentic Japanese food (and other great food from around the world) there are great options in every port you visit.  We also used our time in Japan before the trip in sample the local options.  We had  an amazing trip.  Wishing you the same.

This is great news, philliesphan, we will be on Westerdam in March so hopefully we will get to enjoy some Japanese choices on board. But like benny ear and sciencewonk we will be eating ashore too. It’s great to get a real taste of Japan!

Be aware that the dished offered on Westerdam last year were not Japanese (other than sushi, I suppose) but rather 'vaguely Asian'. Any Indian or Indonesian dishes offered were much more authentic.

Also, the Tamarind pop-up did not feature the entire Tamarind menu and was rather disappointing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

We're doing our first TP and first visit to Japan next April. 

I want to try local cuisine, but don't eat seafood of any kind. Will I find food selections challenging?

That's a shame, as seafood is fundamental to traditional Japanese cuisine. That said, you will find lots of dishes that don't include seafood - noodles, rice, vegetables, chicken, pork, beef ... have a look at Google for ideas - this site is just one ( https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/any-food-recommendations-in-japan-for-non-seafood-eaters-731748/ ).

Restaurants will be easier - if your avoidance is allergy-related, I suggest caution around street food. Enjoy the cruise and the country! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

We're doing our first TP and first visit to Japan next April. 

I want to try local cuisine, but don't eat seafood of any kind. Will I find food selections challenging?

I don’t do raw fish and had no issues.  Udons, ramens, gyoza, great chicken yakitori, wagyu beef..

Also really do try the 7-11 for great sandwiches.  Egg salad, and my favourite Katsu chicken  are wonderful.  

And  if you get to Hiroshima try the okonomiyaki, wonderful!  The best is in the train station and they are famous for it,   It’s a crepe, topped with bean sprouts, vegetables, eggs and your choice of meat.  They are incredible and they cooks them in front of you on a teppanyaki type grill. Photo is the last one. 

You’re in for a treat!  Amazing fruit, and ice cream in wisteria flavour among others!   Kit Kats in a ton of flavours!  I liked the green tea and raspberry ones.

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1764.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1120.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2