Onboard Explora 1 (Sept 25- Oct 13) with Hank

Hlitner

We found the same lack of communication from “Guest Relations” in the month we were on board. Everything had to be related to Geneva for an answer. Took two weeks to confirm where we were to dock in NYC. And they were frequently rude to boot. 
We booked more cruises on board but have yet to receive confirmation. How’s that for communication?

Excuse was always because they are a new company. Yet MSC is one of the biggies and the Apontes have been in the shipping business for 300 years. 

• Like 3

I fondly remember the naming ceremony of Seabourn Ovation in Malta where the paying guests were the VIPs. We all got to attend and see the bottle smashed, we all got to meet Godmother Elaine Paige, we all got bussed to a stunning fortress for drinks, canapés and entertainment, and we all got treated to amazing fireworks upon our return to the ship. It can be done… 

Explora has been putting TAs & influencers on their free trips ahead of paying guests from the very start. It’s incredibly disappointing. I guess they are doing it because they desperately need more passengers with the ship sailing 60% empty, but they are overlooking the fact that they are alienating their current paying guests in the process. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

I fondly remember the naming ceremony of Seabourn Ovation in Malta where the paying guests were the VIPs. We all got to attend and see the bottle smashed, we all got to meet Godmother Elaine Paige, we all got bussed to a stunning fortress for drinks, canapés and entertainment, and we all got treated to amazing fireworks upon our return to the ship. It can be done… 

Explora has been putting TAs & influencers on their free trips ahead of paying guests from the very start. It’s incredibly disappointing. I guess they are doing it because they desperately need more passengers with the ship sailing 60% empty, but they are overlooking the fact that they are alienating their current paying guests in the process. 

Sad to say but seems true thank you 

Having seen how absolutely awful the communication and paying customer service focus (or absolute lack of it) was at the time of the late cancellation of the inaugural I had hoped that was just pressure of the situation. When I highlighted elsewhere that the paying guests were second rate citizens whilst influencers and agents were being so looked after I got abuse.
OK I already had a second booking, I assumed this was a one off so I try to look forward to a cruise next month. But reading this I start to have those horrible thoughts. 
It’s great to hear the food is good but poor onboard communication and issues like lots of things out of use is not something I would be happy about. I’m really hoping my cruise is influencer free and doesn’t have big events carried out at the expense of the paying guests. 

Thanks to those who have kept us updated and I look forward to hearing the experiences of those on the next cruise 

• Like 5

@Waltershipman  Best of luck disembarking and making an early flight.  The last disembarkation in Manhattan was just short of pandemonium.  The process in the terminal for customs was quite slow and there were no separate lines for residents of the U.S. vs non-residents.  Traffic was also terrible owing to the huge Norwegian ship also docked at the terminal.  I sincerely hope they will have a better handle on disembarkation on the 12th. 

29 minutes ago, java spot said:

@Waltershipman  Best of luck disembarking and making an early flight.  The last disembarkation in Manhattan was just short of pandemonium.  The process in the terminal for customs was quite slow and there were no separate lines for residents of the U.S. vs non-residents.  Traffic was also terrible owing to the huge Norwegian ship also docked at the terminal.  I sincerely hope they will have a better handle on disembarkation on the 12th. 

Thank you much appreciated 

• Like 1

My own experience in disembarking on 9/25 was exactly the opposite. We waited patiently in La Crema until our color code was called. Proceeded off ship and directly to CBE agent who cleared us in 60 seconds. Identified our bags which immediately were transported to street side which was chaos   Plenty of yellow cabs waiting for passengers. Gone in 60 seconds. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

My own experience in disembarking on 9/25 was exactly the opposite. We waited patiently in La Crema until our color code was called. Proceeded off ship and directly to CBE agent who cleared us in 60 seconds. Identified our bags which immediately were transported to street side which was chaos   Plenty of yellow cabs waiting for passengers. Gone in 60 seconds. 

Wow thanks

4 hours ago, java spot said:

We disembarked around 9.30am (our designated disembarkation time) on the 25th and it couldn’t have been easier - walked off without any delay, found our bags, had a very short chat to the border official, called an Uber and met them across the road from the pier 

Contrast that with entering any US airport as a foreigner, waiting for luggage to be off loaded and the long lines to be processed at immigration - no comparison

It was raining - but I don’t hold Explora responsible for that 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

What time did you end up disembarking?

As I recall it was closer to 11 than the originally planned 9:30. Was a pleasant time in La Crema having coffee and chatting. The delay was not the fault of Explora but the dearth of agents to clear us. Explora was smart (for once) to use La Crema as departure lounge. Very comfy. 
Explora staff kept watch on progress ashore and did not call next group until previous group had cleared. 

• Like 2

Good Morning,

Yesterday was one of those perfect cruise days which brings us back to ships, again and again.  We had perfect weather in Halifax, our excursion (with only 5 passengers) introduced us to NOva Scotia wines and taught us a lot about the history of the Acadians.

Back in the ship we had our 5th and last dinner in Sakura (our favorite restaurant onboard) which was near perfect and would cost at least $200 to duplicate ashore.  We started with two types of Sushi (a lobster roll and a spicy tuna) and added our favorite duck confit w watermelon.  Then it was on to the always amazing NZ lamb chops served in a smoky dome.  And finally we ended with the pear and Madagascar vanilla combination dessert.  As always, the staff in Sakura were outstanding from the lovely manager to the various servers.

The meal reinforced our judgement that this ship currently has the best cuisine at sea.

Tonight we will try Anthology (where the 2* Michelin chef is currently in residence).  Then tomorrow it will be NYC and planned chaos as the ship will be overrun by more than 800 VIP guests for its Naming Ceremony.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Good Morning,

Yesterday was one of those perfect cruise days which brings us back to ships, again and again.  We had perfect weather in Halifax, our excursion (with only 5 passengers) introduced us to NOva Scotia wines and taught us a lot about the history of the Acadians.

Back in the ship we had our 5th and last dinner in Sakura (our favorite restaurant onboard) which was near perfect and would cost at least $200 to duplicate ashore.  We started with two types of Sushi (a lobster roll and a spicy tuna) and added our favorite duck confit w watermelon.  Then it was on to the always amazing NZ lamb chops served in a smoky dome.  And finally we ended with the pear and Madagascar vanilla combination dessert.  As always, the staff in Sakura were outstanding from the lovely manager to the various servers.

The meal reinforced our judgement that this ship currently has the best cuisine at sea.

Tonight we will try Anthology (where the 2* Michelin chef is currently in residence).  Then tomorrow it will be NYC and planned chaos as the ship will be overrun by more than 800 VIP guests for its Naming Ceremony.

Hank

Last night we had an amazing dinner at Fil Rouge for 3rd time The restaurant knew it was our anniversary and even brought over the entire restaurant. To bring us some special treats and sang  Let me call you sweetheart by the entire restaurant staff.

The food was excellent as always, and we returned to our cabin. To find that it had been decorated with a variety of pillows, towels, and lights as a celebration for our anniversary as well as balloons.

Tonight we return to Sakura for what will be our final dinner. And i'm sure we'll be wonderful

We did receive our luggage tags that indicate we are To be among the first off, the ship which will get us to our destination on our flight on time, thank you, EJ

This has been an extraordinary, wonderful, wonderful, beautiful trip. The food the staff are beyond compare all the best to everyone

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Yes indeed carrying light reflects lights

So long as the light is genuine and not “fake” or “bought off”. Been great reflections here no fake or bought off.

I’m contrasting with some I’m reading elsewhere for the same cruise and am minded of the 1960s UK political scandal where a witness used the now well used phrase “well he  would say that wouldn’t he” (although in the trial Mandy Rice Davis said “well he would wouldn’t he” )

• Like 1

A big thank you to Hank for starting this thread! I greatly appreciate his daily commentary. We are sad to end our sailing tomorrow. We have thoroughly enjoyed nearly everything on this ship. Our suite, all crew services, the entertainment, the fabulous food and my new favorite drink a Moet Chandon Ice Imperial! Also, the spa services were stellar, my haircut and manicure were better than what I get back home in California. My only criticism is the dreadful communication, which has already been beat to death. Specifically, it took several days into our cruise to learn whether we had a confirmed hotel in NYC on the 12th, we couldn’t fully verify shipboard credits until the 10th and we still don’t have our 10% credit for our early disembarkation. The guest services staff can’t answer any questions without talking to corporate or shoreside personnel, which often takes days to hear back. Once EJ works out their communication issues I think they will be the finest cruise line in their category.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chefdi13 said:

A big thank you to Hank for starting this thread! I greatly appreciate his daily commentary. We are sad to end our sailing tomorrow. We have thoroughly enjoyed nearly everything on this ship. Our suite, all crew services, the entertainment, the fabulous food and my new favorite drink a Moet Chandon Ice Imperial! Also, the spa services were stellar, my haircut and manicure were better than what I get back home in California. My only criticism is the dreadful communication, which has already been beat to death. Specifically, it took several days into our cruise to learn whether we had a confirmed hotel in NYC on the 12th, we couldn’t fully verify shipboard credits until the 10th and we still don’t have our 10% credit for our early disembarkation. The guest services staff can’t answer any questions without talking to corporate or shoreside personnel, which often takes days to hear back. Once EJ works out their communication issues I think they will be the finest cruise line in their category.

Excellent thoughts wonderful cruise exceptional in so many ways