Connecting in ATL from LHR-- is 2:35 layover sufficient time?

WNCtourist

I'm not an experienced flyer, and wanted to check on this connection time before booking tickets for a June trip. This involves flying from LHR on Virgin Atlantic (Delta codeshare) to ATL, then connecting to Asheville, NC on Delta (short regional flight).

So I am understanding this correctly:

1. Arrive in ATL in the International Terminal/ Concourse F
  2. Clear immigrations and customs inspection
  3. Drop off bags (tagged through to AVL) at the baggage recheck desks
  4. Pass through TSA
  5. Get to appropriate terminal to board AVL flight -- Domestic Terminal/Concourse T at the other end of the airport?

The connection time is 2:35 -- do you think a frazzled traveler can do this? The next flight has a 3:45 layover, which is certainly doable but arrives 2 hours later in AVL.

Thanks for your sharing your insights. 

13 minutes ago, WNCtourist said:

The connection time is 2:35 -- do you think a frazzled traveler can do this? The next flight has a 3:45 layover, which is certainly doable but arrives 2 hours later in AVL.

If I'm looking at the same flights that you are, the shorter connection departs ATL at 1800 and arrives at AVL at 1900, but the longer connection doesn't depart ATL until 1959 (arriving AVL at 2056, which matches your "2 hours later"). So the longer connection is more like 4:35.

As far as I can see, the published Minimum Connection Time for this is 1:25, so even the shorter connection gives you more than an hour extra. For a connection that's bang on the MCT, most passengers will make it most of the time, so you would have a bit of additional margin even if you take that earlier flight.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Physically going from the International Terminal (Concourse F) to the Domestic Terminal (Concourse T) is a snap. You ride the underground "Plane Train". It is about a 5 minute ride from Concourse F to Concourse T and the trains depart every 2 or 3 minutes. (If you choose to walk it would take about 35 minutes.)
I would say 30 minutes for Customs and 30 minutes for TSA would be worst case scenario...the average is about 15 minutes at each. I don't know how long it takes to recheck your baggage at the International Terminal, but my guess is not long. ATL is an efficient airport.
You should not have a problem unless there is something unusual that happens such as your flight arriving really late, or some kind of manpower issue with TSA or Customs, or the Plane Train breaking down (rare).

• Thanks 1

The issue at ATL is that the concourses are very long and the connecting train is accessed in the middle of the concourse.  If you arrive at the furthest gate and leave from another concourse from the furthest gate, those are two very long walks to the center of each concourse where you can descend to take the train to the departing concourse.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 7:35 PM, CruisingAlong4Now said:

The issue at ATL is that the concourses are very long and the connecting train is accessed in the middle of the concourse.  If you arrive at the furthest gate and leave from another concourse from the furthest gate, those are two very long walks to the center of each concourse where you can descend to take the train to the departing concourse.

Good point. It is about a 1200 ft walk from the far end of the concourse to the center where you connect with the train.

• Thanks 1