Transportation questions - LAX arrival, 3 nights pre-cruise out of San Pedro

the mice

Seeking some advice here since I've never used Uber or Lyft.  Have both apps set up on my phone ready to go and have read how to use them. 

I have several options, so trying to figure which might be best.

Trip details:

We arrive in LAX on Alaska Air around 8:15 on Tuesday October 31 (Halloween),    We depart on our Oceania cruise out of San Pedro on Friday, November 3.

Have a hotel booked in Santa Monica for 3 nights (Tues-Thur) and another booking for just 1 night Thur at Crowne Plaza San Pedro.

Hotel in Santa Monica charges something like $65 a night for parking and another "resort" fee (using points for booking so these are add-ons)     

Husband wants to see the Peterson Automotive Museum.  Everything else is flexible.  Even though we haven't been in the LA area since 1987 (yikes!), it's basically just some chill time as he's recovering from a severe hand injury.  He's better, but still has some limited use of 2 fingers on his dominant hand  so not lugging stuff around is a moderate concern.  We plan to travel light (hopefully just 2 carry on size bags and 2 personal size totes - ship has 5 self-service laundry rooms and we've got 5 sea days).  

Should we rent the car (will use Hertz with my corporate discount - vg rates) in LAX and drive to Santa Monica on Tuesday night?  Or just take an Uber and rent the car in Santa Monica on Wednesday?   (rental would be about $80 less and we'd save the $65 parking fee)

Or should we Uber to SM,  chill out on Wednesday, and rent the car Thursday and go to the Peterson?  (save even more on car rental, and parking) 

Should we stay in Santa Monica all 3 nights and drive down on Friday morning?  Or stay Tues-Wed in Santa Monica and Thur in San Pedro?  (thinking the latter is better for less stress and more convenience?)

For rental return -  Hertz is across the street from the Crowne Plaza. 

If we stay in SM all 3 nights we would have to drive down from SM on Friday.

If we drive down to San Pedro on Thursday and stay there, we can return the car if we get there before closing at 5PM. Is that smart based on traffic driving down from SM on Thursday afternoon?  Or we could park at the Crowne Plaza overnight which is $15 (much cheaper than SM hotel) and do the return Friday morning.

If we drive down Thursday, what might be the best (better?) time to do the drive? 

So, a bunch of questions. Hope I've been clear enough.   Thoughts/opinions/advice - it's all welcome.  TIA.

8 minutes ago, the mice said:

Should we rent the car (will use Hertz with my corporate discount - vg rates) in LAX and drive to Santa Monica on Tuesday night?  Or just take an Uber and rent the car in Santa Monica on Wednesday?   (rental would be about $80 less and we'd save the $65 parking fee)

Or should we Uber to SM,  chill out on Wednesday, and rent the car Thursday and go to the Peterson?  (save even more on car rental, and parking) 

Should we stay in Santa Monica all 3 nights and drive down on Friday morning?  Or stay Tues-Wed in Santa Monica and Thur in San Pedro?  (thinking the latter is better for less stress and more convenience?)

A lot to unpack here given its several scenarios. Given what you've said, if the only thing you want to do outside of Santa Monica is the Petersen Museum (which is a huge favorite of mine), just don't rent a car at all and Uber to Santa Monica on arrival and then Uber back and forth to the Petersen the day you want to visit. You'll save money that way vs paying for parking nightly at your hotel, paying for parking at the Petersen, gas, and rental costs. No sense renting a car just to do a quick trip to the Petersen and no stress having to drive. 

I've stopped renting cars on trips to LA that I stay in one area or don't have to move around much. UberX is quick, relatively inexpensive, and can provide a lot less stress not having to find parking. 

11 minutes ago, the mice said:

For rental return -  Hertz is across the street from the Crowne Plaza. 

If we stay in SM all 3 nights we would have to drive down from SM on Friday.

If we drive down to San Pedro on Thursday and stay there, we can return the car if we get there before closing at 5PM. Is that smart based on traffic driving down from SM on Thursday afternoon?  Or we could park at the Crowne Plaza overnight which is $15 (much cheaper than SM hotel) and do the return Friday morning.

If we drive down Thursday, what might be the best (better?) time to do the drive? 

Again, a few options here depending on what you do or if you take my advice above. If you don't rent a car at all I still think you'll come out ahead cost wise even with the longer Uber ride down to San Pedro. 

If you do rent a car you can usually return the car after hours at most locations with a drop box for the keys-- just confirm. BUT, and you should check this, one way rentals like this can come with significant fees that might not be immediately apparent since you wouldnt be picking up and dropping off at LAX. That also might tip not renting a car at all and just Ubering over in terms of cost savings. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

just don't rent a car at all and Uber to Santa Monica on arrival and then Uber back and forth to the Petersen the day you want to visit. You'll save money that way vs paying for parking nightly at your hotel, paying for parking at the Petersen, gas, and rental costs. No sense renting a car just to do a quick trip to the Petersen and no stress having to drive. 

Thanks for this suggestion.  I haven't yet asked DH is there's anything else he'd like to do.  I was thinking possibly Getty Center, which was recommended to me.  

7 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

one way rentals like this can come with significant fees that might not be immediately apparent since you wouldnt be picking up and dropping off at LAX.

That's not an issue with my corporate retiree rate, apparently.  (one of the few benefits of being retired from this company - they've significantly changed a lot of the others 🤨)

Thanks for answering so quickly.

2 minutes ago, the mice said:

Thanks for this suggestion.  I haven't yet asked DH is there's anything else he'd like to do.  I was thinking possibly Getty Center, which was recommended to me.  

You still might come out ahead cost wise overall. The other thing to consider is that Santa Monica is so walkable (as opposed to other places) so you certainly don't need a car to do anything within Santa Monica. 

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

You still might come out ahead cost wise overall. The other thing to consider is that Santa Monica is so walkable (as opposed to other places) so you certainly don't need a car to do anything within Santa Monica. 

Thanks.  I was looking at Google street view yesterday and realized that.  

DH is a car fanatic (beyond enthusiast, at least in my book 😁),  How much time would you recommend at the Peterson?

Do you think we could Uber to the Peterson and from there to the Getty Center and then back to SM hotel?  Or not the best idea?

3 hours ago, the mice said:

DH is a car fanatic (beyond enthusiast, at least in my book 😁),  How much time would you recommend at the Peterson?

Its not enormous. If he is a fanatic I would say 2-3 hours would give you a very, very in depth experience. 

3 hours ago, the mice said:

Do you think we could Uber to the Peterson and from there to the Getty Center and then back to SM hotel?  Or not the best idea?

You could easily Uber doing all of it. I personally would not rent a car based on what you are describing. 

Our flight will come into Terminal 6.   Looks like it is a good walk to LAX-it from there.   Not sure DH will be able to pull luggage.  He also has cranky knees so would be wearing his off-loader braces.  We haven't schlepped luggage a half mile on sidewalks in a long time.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?   I heard one can get a taxi near Terminal 7.  Is this so?  Any idea of the price to SM?    BTW, for cost comparison, my standard sedan car rental from Tues night to Fri drop off in San Pedro is $ only153 + fuel with unlimited mileage.

56 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

There are LAX-it Shuttles at each terminal.

I was just about to chime in with what Scott said here-- there are shuttles to LAX-it. Essentially the same process you would have to go through with a shuttle to get to your rental car so either option has no real advantage over the other here. 

The only alternative, and this will be a bit more expensive, is to use UberBlack for your first ride only. This will allow them to pick you up curbside and not have to use the LAX-it lot. 

OK, thanks to both of you.

Now, since I have never used Uber, do I go to the LAX-it lot and then order or before that?

I've seen photos - is it easy to find your ride?  This would be around 8:30 or 9pm (DH may want to stop to eat first) on a Tuesday (Halloween) night.

Thank you.

28 minutes ago, the mice said:

OK, thanks to both of you. Now, since I have never used Uber, do I go to the LAX-it lot and then order or before that? I've seen photos - is it easy to find your ride?  This would be around 8:30 or 9pm (DH may want to stop to eat first) on a Tuesday (Halloween) night.

Very easy to find your ride and I'd ask the driver to drive through In-N-Out Burger at LAX.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Very easy to find your ride and I'd ask the driver to drive through In-N-Out Burger at LAX.

You mean ask the Uber driver to stop there?  I thought no food in the car is the usual thing in rideshares.

1 hour ago, the mice said:

And any comment on when to order the Uber?  Before getting on the shuttle to LAX-it, on the shuttle or when?  (remember this is all new to me).  TIA.

I would do it as you were boarding the shuttle or just after you board it. It wont take very long and they will wait there for a little bit for you.

• Like 2

Just to give you some ball park numbers for transportation, last Thursday I took Lyft from LAXIT lot at Terminal 7 to Hampton Inn in Santa Monica and paid $26.91 plus tip.  My sister and her friend reserved an Uber Black curb pickup from Terminal 3 and paid  $85.71 plus tip. The trip from Santa Monica to San Pedro with three of us in Lyft XL was $82.61 plus tip.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Suzanne123

2 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Just to give you some ball park numbers for transportation, last Thursday I took Lyft from LAXIT lot at Terminal 7 to Hampton Inn in Santa Monica and paid $26.91 plus tip.  My sister and her friend reserved an Uber Black curb pickup from Terminal 3 and paid  $85.71 plus tip. The trip from Santa Monica to San Pedro with three of us in Lyft XL was $82.61 plus tip.  Hope this helps.

Excellent current info.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

You have gotten a ton of good info & I don't know that what I have to say is much help, but...I would also definitely lean towards not renting a car & using uber...I think the freedom of not having to navigate our freeways & streets is worth something even if you don't save much money although it  sounds like would save money as well

I like San Pedro (I better since I live here) but I don't know that it is worth packing, checking out & moving to a new place for one night just to be nearer the port on embarkation day especially if turning in a rental is out of the equation. You could leisurely get ready Friday morning & request an Uber & be at the port at whatever time seems good to you, there is a big window for boarding so it's not like a flight where you want to get there early enough but not so early you are sitting waiting for hours...I hope you have a wonderful trip whatever you decide & that your husband's hand continues to heal quickly

• Like 1

10 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

You have gotten a ton of good info & I don't know that what I have to say is much help, but...I would also definitely lean towards not renting a car & using uber...I think the freedom of not having to navigate our freeways & streets is worth something even if you don't save much money although it  sounds like would save money as well

I like San Pedro (I better since I live here) but I don't know that it is worth packing, checking out & moving to a new place for one night just to be nearer the port on embarkation day especially if turning in a rental is out of the equation. You could leisurely get ready Friday morning & request an Uber & be at the port at whatever time seems good to you, there is a big window for boarding so it's not like a flight where you want to get there early enough but not so early you are sitting waiting for hours...I hope you have a wonderful trip whatever you decide & that your husband's hand continues to heal quickly

Thank you.  Based on significant difference in points, I've rebooked us from Santa Monica to Marina del Rey for our 1st 2 nights (Tues,- Wed.) since we don't expect to be in the room much.  We will walk around Venice and up to Santa Monica and plan to Uber back. Ŵe will pick up our rental on Thursday morning and drive with our luggage to the Getty Center and then the Peterson .  Then drive down to San Pedro whatever time that is.  Planning to return rental across the street in the morning.  I think we can handle that limited amount of driving and it should be better with our luggage in tow.

And thanks for the good wishes for my husband's hand.   He's making progress but we don't think that he will ever regain full movement in that one finger joint.  Thank goodness it wasn't more serious. Looking forward to a relaxing trip.  And my first time ever using Uber.  

• Like 1

so glad you got the info you needed to make the best plan for you. If you arrive early enough & are interested in such things, the USS Iowa is walking distance from the Crowne Plaza & is well worth the visit. There are also some very nice places to eat within walking distance.

2 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

so glad you got the info you needed to make the best plan for you. If you arrive early enough & are interested in such things, the USS Iowa is walking distance from the Crowne Plaza & is well worth the visit. There are also some very nice places to eat within walking distance.

We have the earliest check in time and the plan is to visit the USS Iowa after lunch. Our  saila way is 7pm.  I already asked on the Oceania board if we would be allowed off after check-in, and a TA, who is a long time Oceania cruiser and knows the head of O very well, confirmed that we could do so. 
Hopefully, it all works out.  As NYers who are used to traffic, I think we can handle one day in LA .  I'll probably stress out more my first time ordering a Uber 🤣  (not a thing here in the 'burbs).

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza on Thursday night (Hertz is across the street).  Any restaurant recommendation for dinner?  

Thanks for your helpful posts.  Much appreciated. 

1 minute ago, KreinKrunker said:

San Pedro Brewing Co. on 6th St.

Thanks but we don't drink alcohol.   Although we have gone to brew pub restaurants in the past and ordered club sodas.  But generally not our first choice.