TV on HAL (specifically Nieuw Amsterdam)

WetterWashington

My wife is fond of saying my an Alpha Geek... I correct her that no I'm a Retired Geek, I started messing with TVs over 60 years ago and started programing computers 50 years ago.
I see people asking if you can plug your phone/tablet/game into the TV on board ships.
I wondered myself, which is why I took along an HDMI cable and adapter.....

When we got into our cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam I was tickled to see the TV was a Samsung of the same series (different model) as our home smart-TV.

When I turned the TV on it immediately started playing the Muster drill and safety video.
I also noted that the remote is a simplified remote with limited functions.

When we got back from our muster drill I took out my mini-flashlight to see what I could see, and saw the TV only had a cable in the Ethernet Port, there was the 2 @ HDMI ports and a USB-A port, just as I expected.

I took out my Samsung phone to see if the phone would detect the TV via Samsung's Smart Thing function, or via WiFi, or via Bluetooth.  Only Bluetooth was detected, in fact I detected 6 different Samsung TVs!

When I turned the TV on it started playing the Muster drill video, again. In fact if I turned the TV on after it had been "off" form some time it always started the Muster Drill (this is the important part)

Because the TV did not stay at whatever I had left it on (eg like the Bow Cam), which is what my home Samsung Smart-TV does, I concluded that this TV is not running the standard Samsung software, but is instead running some custom package, where the TV "signals" the ships servers to start showing the Muster drill when the TV is turned on.

Now without a different remote I could not tell if HAL's software has the other inputs turned off or not, but I'm going to GUESS the answer is off.

Now this may only apply to the Nieuw Amsterdam in the fall of 2023... but it may apply to much of the fleet also

I believe the other inputs are off. The old TVs had different inputs that you could bring your own system in and plug and play. But I think someone previously tried this on the new system and could not access anything. 

6 hours ago, WetterWashington said:

My wife is fond of saying my an Alpha Geek... I correct her that no I'm a Retired Geek, I started messing with TVs over 60 years ago and started programing computers 50 years ago.
I see people asking if you can plug your phone/tablet/game into the TV on board ships.
I wondered myself, which is why I took along an HDMI cable and adapter.....

When we got into our cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam I was tickled to see the TV was a Samsung of the same series (different model) as our home smart-TV.

When I turned the TV on it immediately started playing the Muster drill and safety video.
I also noted that the remote is a simplified remote with limited functions.

When we got back from our muster drill I took out my mini-flashlight to see what I could see, and saw the TV only had a cable in the Ethernet Port, there was the 2 @ HDMI ports and a USB-A port, just as I expected.

I took out my Samsung phone to see if the phone would detect the TV via Samsung's Smart Thing function, or via WiFi, or via Bluetooth.  Only Bluetooth was detected, in fact I detected 6 different Samsung TVs!

When I turned the TV on it started playing the Muster drill video, again. In fact if I turned the TV on after it had been "off" form some time it always started the Muster Drill (this is the important part)

Because the TV did not stay at whatever I had left it on (eg like the Bow Cam), which is what my home Samsung Smart-TV does, I concluded that this TV is not running the standard Samsung software, but is instead running some custom package, where the TV "signals" the ships servers to start showing the Muster drill when the TV is turned on.

Now without a different remote I could not tell if HAL's software has the other inputs turned off or not, but I'm going to GUESS the answer is off.

Now this may only apply to the Nieuw Amsterdam in the fall of 2023... but it may apply to much of the fleet also

There is a Samsung TV Remote app in the Google Play store.  I wonder if someone with your technical knowledge could use that to awaken some of the disabled features on your cabin TV.

55 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

There is a Samsung TV Remote app in the Google Play store.  I wonder if someone with your technical knowledge could use that to awaken some of the disabled features on your cabin TV.

Actually there are several, but reading the reviews makes me think it might be better to simply by a remote.
The aps all seem to want to pop-up ads, if they can't access their web-site to access an ad is the ap simply going to hang?

7 hours ago, WetterWashington said:

When I turned the TV on it started playing the Muster drill video, again. 

Did you watch the whole Muster Drill from start to finish?  Our experience was if you watched the whole video then it would never show up again when you turned the TV on later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:04 AM, rajkr74 said:

Did you watch the whole Muster Drill from start to finish?  Our experience was if you watched the whole video then it would never show up again when you turned the TV on later.

My experience on every ship since they started the "virtual" masters- let the entire safety video play and it would not start back up.

@WetterWashington Interesting you mention this because we are going to be on a 31 day and was thinking the movies might get stale or I won't like too many of them.  At home I sometimes cast or mirror but usually I source the tv to hdmi 3 when I want to game or watch something else that I have on my laptop.  I am considering dragging my laptop and hdmi.  I think mirroring or casting wouldn't work because I think that needs wifi.  

Edited by AKJonesy