Barcelona Port Moving?

sojodave

More recently, some ships have been porting/embarking/disembarking in Tarragona instead of Barcelona..

Whether or not this is due to too many ships wanting to call on the same dates, and an "overflow" port needed I do not personally know, but Livorno Italy appears to  have also become a victim of "overcrowding" as the port of la Spezia has quite often been substituted in recent years.

There has been much discussion on the boards this year about the Spanish Tax which is also referenced in the same article, especially by pax on NCL ships, as NCL have been passing the cost on to their passengers, whilst other lines appear to have been absorbing it themselves.

I had written a longer post but timed out to edit ithe above shorter one which didn't actually answer your question.

I think you are confusing two different issues.

The use of Tarragona as a substitute (on busy days?), and the changes to docking locations in Barcelona itself.

There are a number of online articles referencing the latter, but they are referencing a reduction in numbers docking at the northern docks in Barcelona itself,  with more ships to use the southern docks. Although I have not read every one, I did not see anything to indicate that "Barcelona would be closed to cruise ships" but others may be more knowledgeable than I am.

I am also not familiar enough with "north and south cruise ship docking locations" in Barcelona to say what this will mean for passengers, but others may be able to clarify.

Starting 22 Oct Barcelona is banning the use of the northern docks in Barcelona, the southern docks will still be used.  Barcelona is not banning all cruise ships (at least for now!)  😁Additionally, they are reducing the daily number of cruise ships.  With the addition of the new cruise port in Tarragona Barcelona may eventually be phased out, but not yet.  

In closing the northern docks it will increase the walk time from about 10 minutes to 30 minutes.  I believe most of the larger ships already use the southern docks.

Partial Barcelona Cruise Ship Ban to Begin in October (cruisehive.com)

Edited by Girr

• 2 weeks later...

The dock that is being closed is the World Trade Center Dock.  It is only used by smaller ships. Most larger ships already use the southern Moll d'Adossat Dock, where there are 5 separate modern terminals.  There is also a shuttle bus which runs to the WTC dock; it is quite a walk from the Adossat Dock.    Google Maps clearly shows the two docks, and you can get some idea of the distances involved.

Edited by ijscheer
  • Like 1

The Moll Adossat piers have been used for many, many years by Celebrity, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, Carnival.  Only smaller ships have used the  WTC Dock, and these will be affected by the move. This will have no effect on most cruise ships which disgorge the great majority of tourists.  And yes, it is a long, uncomfortable walk to downtown, especially from Terminals D & E.  That's why most passengers use the shuttle which runs to the shore end of the WTC Dock.

• Like 1