Tender into Nice, not Villefrance???

SandyR5

Has anyone ever tendered directly into Nice rather than Villefrance?  Celebrity just changed the itinerary/time for this port on our cruise and it now just says Nice instead of Villefrance. I’m thinking they just changed the time and we will still tender into Villefrance but was wondering if anyone actually did tender to Nice. Thanks. 

11 hours ago, SandyR5 said:

but was wondering if anyone actually did tender to Nice.

Cruise ships usually dock in Nice, although larger ships will often tender into Villefranche.

You could look at the official port of Nice website (or any others) to check.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Cruise ships usually dock in Nice, although larger ships will often tender into Villefranche.

You could look at the official port of Nice website (or any others) to check.

I checked out the port website, but altho there was a link to a list of cruse visits it went nowhere.

https://leportdenice.com/en/cruises/

I'm not aware of any cruise ships lying off Nice port and tendering into the port.

It's either.....

- berthed in Nice Vieux Port (aka Port Lympia) for smaller ships only - probably the only Celebrity ships which would fit are their Xpedition class

- or most ships tender into Villefranche, 

Most ships' itineraries sensibly quote "Nice (Villefranche-sur-mer)", but Azamara's website mentioned both "Nice" and "Nice (Villefranche)" on different pages of one cruise 🙄

That was confusing, because that Azamara ship does fit into Nice Vieux Port.

@SandyR5 I think you're right - a sloppy update, and you'll be tendering into Villefranche-sur-mer.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I think you're right - a sloppy update, and you'll be tendering into Villefranche-sur-mer.

If the Port of Nice website was a dead end, instead  try something along the lines of" Port of Villefranche cruise schedule" as I just now did and found a link to the schedule in the results. I would still check from time to time in case there are any future changes, or you could try contacting one of the two ports (e-mail?) and ask directly.

Also, have you checked with others on your Roll Call in case a fellow passenger has already given a definitive answer?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SandyR5 said:

Yup. All confused

The link from the internet search for the Villefranche port calls gave listings of expected cruise ship calls for 2023 and 2024. As you know your ship name and arrival date, it should not be confusing if it is listed as Villefranche, and if it is not, then perhaps it will be Nice, but an email to one or the other should clarify.

• 4 months later...

One would think the answer is straightforward; it’s not. Every port calendar states that Ascent will tender in Villefranche. The original itinerary from Celebrity listed the port as tendering in Villefranche. Celebrity sent out an email changing the time and port to tendering in Nice. Our confusion is justified. Clarification is important, as it affects those who are scheduling private shore excursions or choose to DIY. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 7:45 AM, SandyR5 said:

Agree, agree, agree. They are making it unnecessarily confusing for us. 

Fifty years of extensive cruising has made me cynical to the extent that I think some cruise lines intentionally make it confusing.  I will add that in all that time, and having been on more than 50 cruises (we lost count a long time ago) in the Med, we have never heard of any cruise ship tendering into Nice.  In all that time we were actually on one ship that docked in Nice (the Regent Spirit) and that cruise line eventually went bankrupt.

One thing we have noticed, in recent years, is that more ships now go to Monte Carlo where they can dock.  It is something to consider when choosing a cruise.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 7:25 AM, John Bull said:

Most ships' itineraries sensibly quote "Nice (Villefranche-sur-mer)", but Azamara's website mentioned both "Nice" and "Nice (Villefranche)" on different pages of one cruise 🙄

That was confusing, because that Azamara ship does fit into Nice Vieux Port.

@SandyR5 I think you're right - a sloppy update, and you'll be tendering into Villefranche-sur-mer.

JB 🙂

So, my Azamara cruise in May we are docked in Nice; we also have a different day where we will tender in to Villefranche.  Hope this clears up the confusion

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:36 PM, laurieb said:

So, my Azamara cruise in May we are docked in Nice; we also have a different day where we will tender in to Villefranche.  Hope this clears up the confusion

A number of years ago we embarked Azamara Quest in Nice, where she was docked.

laurieb, with two calls and two ports fairly close to each other,   I am guessing you may be there around the time of the Monte Carlo Grand Prix? We embarked in Nice but the following day docked in MC, the day after the F1 ended when the town was in "clear away all things F1" mode.

4 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

A number of years ago we embarked Azamara Quest in Nice, where she was docked.

laurieb, with two calls and two ports fairly close to each other,   I am guessing you may be there around the time of the Monte Carlo Grand Prix? We embarked in Nice but the following day docked in MC, the day after the F1 ended when the town was in "clear away all things F1" mode.

Yes we are!  Azamara is offering an excursion to the Grand Prix for only 1399.00 pp!!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Azamara is offering an excursion to the Grand Prix for only 1399.00 pp!!

I am not at all surprised at that pricing.  I hope it is for an actual race and not one of the practice races.

Should you be tempted, I would first ask on the Azamara Board about the experiences of others on these very costly shorex.