Buying cruises on Ebay

cruisnfool

I was surfing Ebay and saw many cruises at good prices. Some were to buy and others were to bid on. Has anyone bought a cruise on Ebay?

The info said they were travel agents selling group space.

They were not last minute but rather later in the year.

Would appreciate any info about this.

Thanks

Probably the person selling you the cruise is the same one who wants to sell you unused Crown & Anchor coupons. I am kidding, but I would be wary of purchasing a cruise on EBAY.

I do purchase things on EBAY, but people will sell anything and everything there, including items they got for free or soda cups that they used all week and think you should buy so you can pay less. They wouldn't work, but that's another post. Just use caution and I am sure you can get good prices checking the net or using a TA.

Probably the person selling you the cruise is the same one who wants to sell you unused Crown & Anchor coupons. I am kidding, but I would be wary of purchasing a cruise on EBAY.

Aren't cruises non-transferable?:confused:

Wouldn't that be a bummer....but I bought it on e-bay!...surely you could just make this one exception and let us on the ship!...we don't eat much and are very quiet! Gee if you want we'll put clean towels on all the chairs by the pool, - for free. People will love us!...pweeeze let us on....we already paid ebay....

while I do shop EBay, I would pass on bidding or buying a cruise or any other trip from an ebay seller. To me vaccations are too important to screw up, pay a little more by using a discount travel site/TA/or directly from the cruiseline for better security if something goes wrong in the end. I would hate for you to get to the ship and have a problem boarding and don't have a contact number for your ebay seller.

I just checked Google and caveat emptor means: The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.

[From Latin caveat ēmptor, let the buyer beware : caveat, third person sing. present subjunctive of cavēre, to beware + ēmptor, buyer.]

Linda

I was surfing Ebay and saw many cruises at good prices. Some were to buy and others were to bid on. Has anyone bought a cruise on Ebay?

The info said they were travel agents selling group space.

They were not last minute but rather later in the year.

Would appreciate any info about this.

Thanks

Although I mostly book myself, I have purchased two cruises thought Travel Sellers on Ebay. The importnat thing is to make sure that they are really from a licensed agengy to sell travel. If they are, then you have less to worry about. If they are members of ASTA and CLIA, and will furnish you with proof that they are, then you have little or nothing to fret over.

The good ones will have telephone numbers to answer your questions and be there to stand behind what they sell.

Not sure if I am allowed to tell you the agency that I have dealt with, but they were absolutely top-notch and I would recommend them to anyone, (and have done so in the past). I see that they have cruises listed to sell anytime that I search the cruise section of EBay.

I would not ever buy something like a cruise from a private party, or from anyone who gave me the impression that they were doing this out of their home-office. Look at the feedback reports too. The agency that I bought from had an extremely high approval rating in the feedback area.

Most credit cards buid in some protections too, but again, you need to be dealing with a business, not a private party on this. Never send cash or a check. If they don't take a credit card, then that should be red flag.

Hope this helps.

Quote from Rlrcstr "If they don't take a credit card, then that should be red flag."

This is an important rule no matter who you are buying the cruise through. I've read horror stories about travel agents (usually small, storefront) only accepting checks and making off with peoples money after final payment has been made. It seems like a long time to set up a scam, but it happens. Use a credit card, if you only have checks, make it out to the cruise line, not the TA.

another point-- if you bid on a cruise== you are locked into that price. If the price comes down--you are screwed.

Read the fine print-- taxs and port fees included?

is it for a set category or is it a guarantee?

Archived