Prima is definitely not for us

mscdivina2016

the size of the improv on the prima and the viva is now irrelevant, as is the "improv" branding.  when i sailed the prima in may and june of this year, all levity comedy shows had been moved to the theatre. i assume they have done the same on the viva. the improv, at least on the prima, is now used for lectures, trivia and what not... but no comedy, unless you count a presentation from the park west folks... that is often hilarious.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Of all the first world problems, having to stand up for rock and roll might be the most ridiculous.

And Syds is geared to a small venue experience. The interaction the singers have with the audience would just not work the same in a large theater venue.

Some people have issues that make prolonged standing painful.  I don't go cruising to be in constant pain.  Especially since it would be not only standing for a couple hours throughout the show, but also standing for half an hour prior to the show just to get in and stand some more.  No thanks.

I appreciate that the venue is small and intimate for a reason.  So keep it small and intimate and make people reserve a seat/table or spread out the entertainment audience so 100 people aren't trying to cram into a 30 people space.

On 10/12/2023 at 5:48 PM, desibee said:

Some people have issues that make prolonged standing painful.  I don't go cruising to be in constant pain.  Especially since it would be not only standing for a couple hours throughout the show, but also standing for half an hour prior to the show just to get in and stand some more.  No thanks.

I appreciate that the venue is small and intimate for a reason.  So keep it small and intimate and make people reserve a seat/table or spread out the entertainment audience so 100 people aren't trying to cram into a 30 people space.

We tried to go one night, line to get in was through the entire hallway. Hubby waited in line then stood for the whole show, my sister, BIL and I went to improve instead to watch bad kareoke. 

Later in the trip hubby & I went to the prom. It had already started so we walked right into the door on the right and stood by the bar in the back. After 20-30 mins I was done and left. It is what it is, but it just isn't for me. 

The performers interacting with the passengers just seemed forced and hokey to me. But maybe it was just my sailing and the majority of guests being boring. It felt like bad dad joke after bad dad joke over and over. So not sure what the big appeal is to others, but you do you.

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

We tried to go one night, line to get in was through the entire hallway. Hubby waited in line then stood for the whole show, my sister, BIL and I went to improve instead to watch bad kareoke. 

Later in the trip hubby & I went to the prom. It had already started so we walked right into the door on the right and stood by the bar in the back. After 20-30 mins I was done and left. It is what it is, but it just isn't for me. 

The performers interacting with the passengers just seemed forced and hokey to me. But maybe it was just my sailing and the majority of guests being boring. It felt like bad dad joke after bad dad joke over and over. So not sure what the big appeal is to others, but you do you.

My interactions with the performers was much more personal. On one of the earliest shows I asked Steven where one could get Syd Norman shirts. The next time I went there, he came over and gave me a napkin with the web address for ordering them. (He had told me the first time.)

At another show, before the show, Mandy commented on my tie dye Grateful Dead tee shirt and said they were her favorite group. I explained that it was part of a birthday present from my wife bought at Bethel Woods which is the site of the original Woodstock concert in 1969. And told her a story from my time there. She said she wanted to hear more.

After the last show I hung around afterwards and spoke first with Mandy and then Steven and told them a story from my Woodstock concert experience.

• Like 1