Swim with wild dolphins? (Puerto Vallerta)

MacMadame

I like to swim in open water (aka wild swimming) and I have met a lot of wildlife that way. I had a sea lion follow me around the Santa Cruz pier and say "goodbye" by swimming under me! (I was a bit freaked out, to be honest, LOL). I was doing a triathlon in Hawaii and had a sea turtle swim under me. And of course lots of fish in the water and birds flying overhead including a Blue Heron (which my swim partner said is rare).

Ā 

So of course I want to swim with a dolphin or two someday.

Ā 

Has anyone done an excursion where you swim with wild dolphins (not ones in a pool)? There is one in Puerto Vallarta and it says the dolphins are totally free to swim with us or not. I know that there are places in Captain Cook (near Kona, HI) where you can go swimming and sometimes dolphins come up to check you out but it's not an official event, you are just walking down to the beach attached to an AirBnB and going for a swim.Ā 

Ā 

This excursion does sound similar but I'm dubious because it is organized and I can see entitled tourists demanding they find dolphins no matter what.

Ā 

https://www.viator.com/tours/Puerto-Vallarta/Dolphins-in-the-Wild/d630-161887P1

The best local operator for dolphins, whales in the wild etc in Puerto Vallarta is by far Wildlife Connection.

Check their website for details. The office is at the Marina (not the cruise terminal), but as you can see on the website they can arrange transportation if needed. Also they will try to coordinate with the arrival time of your cruise ship.Ā Ā http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/dolphins-tour/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ine said:

The best local operator for dolphins, whales in the wild etc in Puerto Vallarta is by far Wildlife Connection.

Check their website for details. The office is at the Marina (not the cruise terminal), but as you can see on the website they can arrange transportation if needed. Also they will try to coordinate with the arrival time of your cruise ship.Ā Ā http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/dolphins-tour/

PS I now see it it the same company as the one through Viator. I think you are better off by booking with WildlifeĀ  directly.Ā 

On 10/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, CruiserBruce said:

I don't think those are actually "wild" dolphins. At minimum, they are heavily "treat motivated".Ā 

Ā 

I definitely wouldn't book with Viator. Find the recommended local provider, and book direct.

Definitely!

Ā 

Ā 

We really wanted to do this experience on our Eurodam visit in a few weeks.Ā  Wildlife Connection has been less than responsive to multiple e-mail attempts to set this up for four of us from the ship.Ā  šŸ˜ž

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

We really wanted to do this experience on our Eurodam visit in a few weeks.Ā  Wildlife Connection has been less than responsive to multiple e-mail attempts to set this up for four of us from the ship.Ā  šŸ˜ž

I am surprised to read this as they are a well known business. Maybe you can try and phone them?

• Thanks 1