passport requirements

Mrmatt

if you are visiting Turkey, 150 days (6 months) is required.

If you are flying to Turkey you would not be able to board flight if UK passport unless "Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 150 days from the arrival date."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, uktog said:

And remember your UK passport in Europe now expires 10 years from issue date not necessarily the printed expiry date. 

the expiry date remains the same but you cannot enter he EU with passports over 10 years old. (issue date and expiry date are two separate tests...there is no revised expiry date when 10 years old) As they used to add up to 9 months someone with a passport issued September 2013 showing an expiry date of June 2024 might think they are good to go anywhere as they have loads of time left on passport. However whilst they can happily use passport to enter US and many other countries...it is now no good for EU as it was issued over 10 years ago.

Edited by Scots Caz

1 hour ago, Mrmatt said:

I noticed on.my Ticket booklet that Azamara require 6 months validity on your passport. Travelling around Europe from Uk. Is this rule enforced? T

47 minutes ago, Scots Caz said:

if you are visiting Turkey, 150 days (6 months) is required.

If you are flying to Turkey you would not be able to board flight if UK passport unless "Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 150 days from the arrival date."

And for Schengen Zone, it's three months validity from the date you are due to leave to come home

Given that you're allowed to stay for 90 days in 180, the simple interpretation often applied by non-official channels means that you need six months from arrival.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrmatt said:

I noticed on.my Ticket booklet that Azamara require 6 months validity on your passport. Travelling around Europe from Uk. Is this rule enforced? T

Don't gamble.

Renew your passport (if you can) so as to obviate problems with validity. 

From the foregoing answers you can see that it is not straightforward. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blag said:

Don't gamble.

Renew your passport (if you can) so as to obviate problems with validity. 

From the foregoing answers you can see that it is not straightforward. 

This is the best site to track waiting times.  Currently it's under two weeks for a UK standard adult renewal. https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/latest-uk-passport-waiting-times/

• Like 1

It's a pain in the butt rule, but it is enforced, and you can find yourself unable to even depart from your home port if you are in the 6 month limit. I turn back into a pumpkin in November, 2024. We've got a cruise booked for May. I'm not risking going without a passport during the month of September, just in case! And we have a huge passport backlog here in the US, a 3 month wait time is not unheard of, so I'm renewing in early winter. You are going to have to renew anyway, in the cosmic scheme of things, the financial loss of renewing early in minimal. Do it. It's cheaper than a doctor's visit and the cost of the anxiety meds.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scots Caz said:

the expiry date remains the same but you cannot enter he EU with passports over 10 years old. (issue date and expiry date are two separate tests...there is no revised expiry date when 10 years old) As they used to add up to 9 months someone with a passport issued September 2013 showing an expiry date of June 2024 might think they are good to go anywhere as they have loads of time left on passport. However whilst they can happily use passport to enter US and many other countries...it is now no good for EU as it was issued over 10 years ago.

But some airlines will not let you board regardless of it being US or EU. 
As others say don’t gamble and think ahead. We did my husbands 13 months ahead from expiry (4 months to the 10 year issued deadline) putting the application in late November as we were told December in the run up to Christmas was a good time 

• Like 2

My son had a problem when his was a couple of days less than 6 months when we were returning from Prague.  I would ensure that you have the full 6 months now we are outside the EU and soon will have additional.rules such as visa payments to meet. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

This is the best site to track waiting times.  Currently it's under two weeks for a UK standard adult renewal. https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/latest-uk-passport-waiting-times/

DH renewed his with the one-week Fast Track service. He had to fill out a paper application, make an appointment, and take it in person to a passport office. They promise it will arrive within one week, by Royal Mail Special Delivery. He dropped his off on a Friday noontime, and the new passport arrived on Tuesday! Very good service. 

• Like 3