Machu Picchu and walking stick

RELS

We have a pre-cruise Machu Picchu tour in December. I use a walking stick (hiking pole with rubber tip). I understand that for the most part these are banned at Machu Picchu. How does one prove that one needs this accommodation? Do I need a doctor's note in Spanish, or will just showing them my knee braces be enough?

Thanks for any info.

We were on a cruise last fall, which allowed for a side trip to Machu Picchu and, as I also have to wear braces on both knees, I enquired about the same thing as you are.

What I was told was that use of a walking pole is randomly enforced, but if you have one stick with rubber tip you probably would not be bothered by anyone. If you are elderly/disabled, they are going to allow them. Another option if you just need it for stability is a collapsible cane, which is what I use while travelling and is less likely to raise eyebrows.

In the end, we decided not to take the side trip.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Thanks 1

We went to Machu Picchu in 2019. I am neither elderly nor disabled but have an issue with dislocating kneecaps so prefer to use a collapsible walking pole on steep or uneven ground. I had a thick rubber tip on my pole and it wasn’t questioned when we entered.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...